Deer Range Question

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by mhouck06, Aug 7, 2022.

1. mhouck06

mhouck06 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    What is the furthest distance between two trail cameras (or multiple) that you have gotten the same buck on. The only reason I ask trail camera is because it seems easier to positively ID a buck through picture instead of glassing/spotting/etc, but I am open to eye sight observations also.

This summer I've been exchanging info with another local hunter. We recently discovered we are having the same buck frequent our cameras. Pin to Pin, this distance is 1.19 miles. I have never experienced this kind of range in the summer. The deer is in two completely separate patches of woods at different parts of the week/month. Its definitely easy enough to travel to each spot, but really opened my eyes about how the deer are traveling in the area.

2. Rick James

Rick James Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    3 miles

3. mhouck06

mhouck06 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Nice!! Ive had cameras spread out over a large area and I have never got one consistently more than .65 miles apart this time of year.

4. camo75

camo75 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Hunt stand measures out a straight line distance of 3.9 miles for one buck I caught at 2 different locations. So in the grand scheme of things he probably walked almost 5-6 miles between his summer spot to a different woods during the rut.

EDBH likes this.
  5. mhouck06

mhouck06 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:

I am always amazed at how for they travel from where they spend the summer months at. It also blows my mind how far they go in the rut!! I am just surprised this buck I have pictures of is using essentially to separate patches of woods in the summer like this. He seemingly hangs out in one patch for a few weeks then moves over to the other. I have never really experienced this before.

EDBH likes this.
  6. EDBH

EDBH Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I've had a bachelor group of two groups of two and a single buck by himself running a ridgeline where I have a couple of cameras set up. I am getting all of them consistently on two of my cameras about 1.35 miles apart (according to onX).

mhouck06 likes this.
  7. Junior

Junior Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Ive had 1 older buck that showed up on 3 different properties. Farthest straight line distance was 5 miles from one spot to another. Im wondering if that buck died of old age since I did not see him last year and no one said a word about him- he was pretty unique

Sent from my SM-S908U using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

mhouck06 likes this.
  8. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Longest I can prove is about 3.5 miles, but I don't know land owners beyond that.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

mhouck06 likes this.
  9. 0317

0317 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    not on cam, but visual sighting... one of the bucks on my wall I saw over 2 miles away the day before I killed him, never had him on cam before that .... I believe he came on to the place chasing Does ...

10. Ranbo

Ranbo Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    2 miles for a late season shift. During the hunting season i find once we hit mid October, less than a mile max distance. During the rut that can vary a bit.

11. oldnotdead

oldnotdead Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I had a big old buck that literally nearly made me fall out of my tree, He left as I tried to get my legs to stop buckling to be killed a week later over 3 miles away. I found his picture at the local sports shop.

12. head2toe camo

head2toe camo Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Great topic! Heres an interesting study of a GPS collared buck in PA.

https://www.deer.psu.edu/the-life-and-times-of-buck-8917/
    or google: penn state collared buck range study

Some good data on summer and early fall, and some videos to watch his movements on a map. referring to the rut:
    “During a 12-hr period he traveled over 5 miles and over a mile in elevation!”
    “All told, between the 4th and 27th of November (24 days) he traveled 85 miles.”

Brian Walters likes this.