Blaze Orange Vest

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Jrob140, Jul 25, 2022.

1. Jrob140

Jrob140 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    What kind of blaze orange vest do you guys wear?

I’ve been looking for a blaze orange vest that isn’t the cheap ones from Walmart. I’ve shopped around but even the Sitka one seems be flopping around in the wind. Would prefer it be closer to an upland hunting style vest rather than a layering garment that happens to be orange. But if you’ve got one your a huge believer in I’m open. Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

2. oldnotdead

oldnotdead Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry mines just a no name fleece with huge pockets. It doesn't flop around because I wear a fanny pack or a hand muff pack that's belted around it. I also, when bow hunting in gun season wear a hip quiver that is belted around it. Light,warm and the fleece handle damp conditions, snow/fog pretty well. I think I found it on Amazon camo orange.

Jrob140 likes this.
  3. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    I bought the smallest one I could find at Cabela's a few years ago - I think it's a medium. I also hated the big, floppy ones, and this one actually fit normal. When I put my bino harness on top, I forget it's even there.

Jrob140 likes this.
  4. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I bought a Redhead reversable fleece zip up vest maybe 10 years ago? Orange and either realtree or Mossy woodland on the flip. Hardly ever wear the orange out unless I'm gun hunting which is almost never but it's been warm and useful. Quiet and burr resistant too.

Jrob140 likes this.
  5. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    With the amount of firearms seasons in IL I feel like I'm spending half my year in orange now. Especially since we can archery hunt during the gun season now.

dnoodles and Jrob140 like this.
  6. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Another reason I don't hunt in Illinois.

Jrob140 likes this.
  7. Joe Soil

Joe Soil Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Amazon has a cheap orange vest that is a little better quality than the typical cheapy. Can’t remember the name of it and don’t have Amazon anymore to look, sorry bout it

Sent from my iPad using Bowhunting.com Forums

8. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The Sitka Ballistic vest is pretty darn nice (form fitting), Here in the midwest, we do a lot of upland game hunting. Although not a reg, orange is requirement for anyone that hunts in my family / group. So although kind of expensive it serves more than one purpose.

I started hunting early season bow in a bare bones predator vest awhile back. It's perfect, forces you to bring only what you need.

9. mhouck06

mhouck06 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I am a fan of the sitka vest, it has some adjustments on it to make it fit well. I took the shoulder pad out as it didn't seem necessary to me. The fit and finish of it is great, the pockets are nice and the magnet/latch to close it is pretty slick. That being said, I am still a fan of the thin pinny style vest for some occasions, packs down way easier and with the bino harness on it really isn't that bad.

Heckler likes this.
  10. DickensCPA

DickensCPA Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I haven't gun hunted in at least 15 years but we have to wear a vest if we archery hunt during gun season even if it's private property that I'm the only one allowed to hunt - granted I did buy 151 acres just to hunt that is completely surrounded by public land. I do have tresspassers meander thru and wear the orange even if I weren't required to for that.

I have always worn the WalMart cheapie orange vest with an orange hat. Now that I've predominantly became a saddle hunter I wouldn't mind getting something like a sleeveless fleece with a hand muff for cooler weather. I can't wear gloves when I hunt and it doesn't get cool enough here for full winter wear until the end of gun season and a hand muff would do fine.