Need help with setup.

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Kiplo, Jul 27, 2022.

1. Kiplo

Kiplo Newb

Dislikes Received:
    So I got into archery 2 seasons ago. And I've been learning more about it when I can. Last year I bought a new hoyt ventum 30 60lb limbs. I shoot a 27" draw. When I first got into archery I went to get my old bow tuned and bought some arrows while I was there. I got VAP tko 300 spines with an insert cant remember the insert but my total arrow weight with 100g broadhead is 478gr. I have a trophy ridge sight, I can't remember the model of the sight but its the one where you set the first 2 pins and the other set there selves out to 60yrds. Here's my problem, both the old bow after tune and brand new bow sight is bottomed out. Im good on first 2 pins 25 and 35 yards i think. but after that its not on. and I cant lower the sight any further. Is it because my arrows weight is to heavy for my current 55lb draw (I'm building up to 60 before season hopefully) or should I look at another sight. sorry for the long post just wanted to give as much info as I can. What do you guys think?

2. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Could be a few things. What springs to my mind are :
    Sight mount - some have different possible mount configs

Nock point - if not square it could be a root cause

Rest - e.g if it's a drop away but maybe not setup quite right.

If you can, attach some pics like:
    •a pic of the mount of the site to the riser
    •a side pic of undrawn arrow on rest, at your nock point in string

Kiplo likes this.
  3. LittleChief

LittleChief Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    I have two questions.
    First, how long are your arrow shafts?

Second, you say that the longer shots are off and you say you can’t lower the sight any more. I assume the arrows are hitting low? Are they still good left to right?

Kiplo likes this.
  4. Kiplo

Kiplo Newb

Dislikes Received:

Attached Files:

5. Kiplo

Kiplo Newb

Dislikes Received:
    They are hitting low and they are fine left to right. Ill have to measure them because i can't remember what they were cut to now. The wife hid my tape from me. But at full draw id say they are about an inch past my rest.

6. LittleChief

LittleChief Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    I’m not familiar with that sight, but it looks like you can re-mount it using the middle set of holes and it would drop the entire sight a bit.

Still, if your top two pins are hitting accurately the rest of them should hit accurately as well if your bow is tuned well.

It sounds to me like wl04 may be on to something when he mentioned the nock point might be a little high. Do you have a bow square or have you shot through paper to see if the arrow is leaving the bow tail high?

7. JW Gruv

JW Gruv Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    By the looks of it to me the sight housing looks low(close to the arrow shaft)......There are other mounting holes on that sight but not sure it will help you out very much with your issue thou

8. Mod-it

Mod-it Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    That looks like a Trophy Ridge React H4 to me. Your arrow & bow setup should be well within its velocity range to work, I came up with your setup doing about 235 fps using a calculator. The sight is supposed to work clear down to 195 fps.

I agree with LittleChief, it looks like the middle mounting holes for direct mount will lower the whole sight a bit. But I don't think that's the problem with your lower pins not being on. If you have the adjustment room on the whole sight housing to get the top pin set perfectly, then there's no reason you shouldn't be able to use the React technology to get the rest of the pins dialed in...unless your arrow velocity is outside of the sight's range. There wouldn't be any reason to lower the whole sight as long as you have the adjustment room to sight in the top pin. Once the top pin is sighted in you do not move the whole sight frame up/down again, otherwise it would throw the whole react technology off.
    Let's go through how that sight is supposed to be sighted in.
    You said you think you sighted in the top pin at 25 yards. React technology is set up expecting 10 yard increments between the pins. You have to sight in so all pins have 10 yard increments. 20-30-40-50-60; 25-35-45-55-65; etc. etc. You will gain a bit more room on your bottomed out sight if you use 20 yards for your top pin rather than 25.

To sight in the top pin, you leave the "master" React adjustment alone and simply move the entire sight housing as needed. Shooting low, move whole sight down. Shooting left, move whole sight left. Etc. etc.
    Once you have the top pin set, then you move to sighting in another pin using the React master adjustment. This is the bolt that makes all the pins move. The farther distance you use, the more accurate you can get your other pins. If you use the second pin down, you'll want to get it absolutely spot on. Notice when you move the react adjustment that the bottom pins move much further than the upper pins. This means that having your second 35 yard pin sighted even a 1/2" off can throw off how accurate the rest of the pins are by quite a bit. So, if you are a pretty good shot at distances beyond your second pin distance, then sighting in a corresponding pin at a further distance will give you more accurate results on the rest of the pins. For example, instead of sighting in the 2nd pin down from the top at 35 yards using the React bolt, sight in the 4th pin down at 55 yards.

JW Gruv and LittleChief like this.