What are some new strategies or techniques you will use this season?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by virginiashadow, Jul 13, 2022.

1. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    I couldn't tell you the last time I listened to a hunting podcast.

For the record - the downwind side of doe bedding during the rut is still one of my favorite places to hunt. Not because the bucks are purposely cruising the downwind side, but because that's where you should set up so as not to get busted.

2. Swamp Stalker

Swamp Stalker Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I only listen to one hunting podcast, Truth from the stand. It is the only one I can tolerate.

3. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Have you tried The Hunting Public podcast? It has a lot of great information that would probably be useful. I find a lot of good info for the public land grind.

Swamp Stalker likes this.
  4. LittleChief

LittleChief Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    I don’t intend to change anything about the way I hunt.

I’ve always done it wrong and I plan to keep on doing it wrong. :confused:

dnoodles and virginiashadow like this.
  5. Swamp Stalker

Dislikes Received:
    I've tried listening to them a few times. They annoy me by talking over one another. It drove me insane. The truth from the stand is pretty good, he talks to many public land hunters from the Northeast, and I find quite a bit of the content relatable to my scenario and reality.

6. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I just looked for it ( truth from the stand) and I'll be giving it a listen tomorrow. I too can not get into THP podcast. Not that I don't like the show or the guys, it just doesn't translate for me.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

7. Swamp Stalker

Dislikes Received:
    Cool! It's pretty good, the guy is from North East PA. He does push some products in the beginning of course, and his service provider has an ad or two during the show, but it's not enough to annoy me and I get annoyed pretty easily

8. Suncrest08

Suncrest08 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    upload_2022-7-20_17-52-33.gif

I haven’t listened to any recently, but I listened to a couple in the past from wired to hunt. Some good ones in there.

9. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Hunt hard. Make it fun. Keep pushing ahead. Let's get it on 2022.

10. MnHunterr

MnHunterr Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    This thread made me realize how simple of a Hunter I am… I know nothing compared to a lot in here. Hunt with a 2013 bow, have same clothing for 5 years, and have only spent money on cameras, 12 arrows, and 6 broadheads the last 3-4 years.

Move my 1 XOP 1-2 times a year depending on what I see. Lot of the time i over hunt spots because I only have access to 52 acres.

I need all the help I can get in strategies and techniques.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. parkersdad

parkersdad Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I’m going back to a tree stand. I’m ready to kill good deer again instead of playing around in a saddle I can’t sit still in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

LittleChief and Swamp Stalker like this.
  12. Swamp Stalker

Dislikes Received:
    I'm thinking of doing the same now that I don't have to worry about the long walk with the weight. I do find I fidget in the saddle, but having adhd, I fidget in anything, including in the comfort of a summit viper. If I do switch, it will be to a lwcg .5 and some lwcg sticks. Those things look so slick even though I despise climbing sticks.

13. Wedes

Wedes Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Really? I love climbing sticks over climbers. I don’t think I will ever use one again.

I’m only getting to hunt 2 weeks of the season so will shoot anything that presents itself. Passed on does early last year. This year will not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. Swamp Stalker

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah, I've always been a climber guy. It has only bitten me in the butt one time when I hunted in Illinois on some farm land. There was only 2 straight trees on the 450-acre farm. In the woods where I hunt (Connecticut), 96% of the trees are maples and oaks, which are nice and straight. I plan on diving deep in the swamps this year, and the base of the trees is much wider at the bottom compared to 15-20' up, making a climber a poor choice. Plus, I'd like to hop in some of the hemlock trees and hide in the foliage to cover some of my movement/fidgetings.

However, that is a perfect world scenario, being able to buy all of that! I'm sure I'll still be using my saddle and summit open shot hand climber/platform for this upcoming season!

15. camo75

camo75 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Maybe if you did change the way you hunt, you could shoot 25 deer instead of 11:confused:

LittleChief likes this.
  16. LittleChief

Dislikes Received:
    :lol:
    What I do that most folks think is wrong is I hunt the crap out of a single location off and on all season long if it’s a good travel corridor. As long as I don’t get picked off or winded I keep hunting a spot.

Of course, I have multiple single locations I do that in, but they really don’t vary much from year to year.

I don’t really scout much at all. My scouting is pretty much all done from my stand.

I probably did more scouting the past two seasons trying to put guests in good spots than I’ve done in all of my years hunting put together.

camo75 likes this.
  17. Swamp Stalker

Dislikes Received:
    Don't leave deer to find deer!

It works for you in your given area, so keep doing it! I only choose to move around so much because of tough access to the spots due to terrain features. Meaning, the only way to access is used by myself and the deer. That is why I move around a lot. I hunt it once or twice and the deer are on to me and my scent. If you're able to hunt a hotspot multiple times with good access, and it still produces, then of course keep hunting it!

Everyone's situation is different, every piece of woods is different, every farm is different, every food plot is different. Do what works best for you in your given situation. What you encounter in the woods is much different than what someone else encounters in the woods 200 miles away.

virginiashadow likes this.
  18. LittleChief

Dislikes Received:
    I know a couple of guys in my club that do that all the time. They just don’t like to hunt the same a spot twice. They’ll drag their stand out every time even if they’re seeing deer.

I know all spots are different, but I’ve hunted the same way in five different states and it works for me. Well, not in the big buck department. :lol:

cantexian and Swamp Stalker like this.
  19. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    This is one of the best pieces of advice I was ever given.

20. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    There is absolutely nothing wrong with this at all. Hunters tend to overcomplicate and overthink things all the time. There is a reason a lot of young and inexperienced hunters have killed giant deer over the years - they don't overthink it!

Find where they are bedding, find where they are feeding, and get in the middle of those two spots.