The Good Dog Thread

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by cml5895, Mar 7, 2019.

1. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I've been doing just that. Facebook mostly as that is where I praised him most.

Once I have them all they will go on thumb drives, SD cards and transferred to other media and maybe a cloud storage. Many of them I'm going to have made into photos so I cannot lose them digitally. Find some sort of wall plaque that holds multiple photos.

dnoodles likes this.
  2. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    This was and always will be one of my favorite sequence of pictures of him. I had a few others, just have to find them.

Was a blind fawn my former brother inlaw had found and picked up, I took it in and got it to a licensed rehabilitator.

He was curious, but he never once barked or acted aggressive towards it.

Screenshot_20220611-190721_Facebook.jpg

JeffC, TJF and dnoodles like this.
  3. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I want to thank everyone for the kind words and condolences, it meant and means a lot.

At 15 years old, he was and still is my puppy. Always will be. The tears are drying, but the memories will always live on.

4. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    All this loss has reminded me to stop and pet the dogs more, give them a random scratch. Pita is 14 now, Tug is 12 Gerty is 10. There is no hole worse to dig than one for your dog.

Swamp Stalker and oldnotdead like this.
  5. bucksnbears

bucksnbears Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I was bawling while digging.

oldnotdead and Sota like this.
  6. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Hate to like it but I can relate. Deepest hole I ever dug was for my white german shepard Clyde biggest prick in the world of a dog my daughter was never safer. That dog walked the perimeter till he collapsed. Clyde was a nut job dog and a pain in the ass but damn he looked for something to kill

Last edited: Jun 18, 2022
    oldnotdead likes this.
  7. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I was too, was even worse putting it back in. The two memories I want to forget the most.

8. bucksnbears

bucksnbears Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    It was worse for me digging the hole then the actually act of covering Roscoe up.

I'm finally (s slowly) getting over t he loneliness.

I was blessed with basically having him with me 24/7/365 for 12.5 years.
    About the (very few times) I left him was going coyote hunting and it was gonna be to cold to take him.

Even when real warm, I'd find a lake,stream,mudhole, often several times a day to cool off even if it meant driving miles to do so.

Been consoled by MANY locals.
    He was loved by many people.

Truly a dog that never caused me any grief.

Never was in a fight.
    Taught him as a pup not to piss on tires.taught
    him as a pup not to bark just because.
    Only once (as a pup) he basically was not in eye contact.

In a wierd way, I judge people how they treat their dogs.

Never thought it was possible that it would help ease the pain of me losing him but it has.
    Thanks a Bunch!

oldnotdead and JeffC like this.
  9. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Pita has not finished her breakfast in 3 days, so unlike the fat chihuahua. The wife inadvertently bought bigger dog milk bones, and her teeth are not good she has had a few removed. She has seemed a little more needy too she followed me into the bathroom this morning. I went to town to get soft food to see if it was appetite or pain. She ate like she has not eaten in days. Can't believe I worry about that dog I hated her when my wife brought her home 14 years ago.

TJF and oldnotdead like this.
  10. OmarLittle

OmarLittle Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    It's been almost 4 months since I had to put my dog down and thankfully the tears are starting to dry up although it still sometimes hits me at random times.

Just the other night I was woken up by the sound she used to make when she would nose the door open to the bedroom. My mind went back to the vets office and the feeling I had looking in her eyes with my hand on her wishing for just one more breath. This lasted about a minute, then a peaceful, calm feeling cane over me. Was it her spirit or just my mind playing tricks on me? I don't know but I like to think it was her just to give me a little peace of mind.

Everyone who has lost a dog has my sympathy.

TJF, oldnotdead, JeffC and 1 other person like this.
  11. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I had to switch mine to wet food about 2 years ago. He was picky, I'd buy a couple smaller portions of different ones seeing what he liked, once decided I bulked up. Then he no longer liked it. Donated about $70 worth of food to the APL due to it. Ended up using chewy.com and getting the Cesar variety packs. Holy chit, looks like it has nearly doubled in price though.

Screenshot_20220619-131135_Chrome.jpg

12. opossumhunterNC

opossumhunterNC Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    So my dog has for the past month had a weird obsession with my socks. At first I would occasionally find them near his bed, then he moved on to where I’d see him trying to rip them apart (at least that’s what I thought) where he would be pulling one end with his mouth and the other end with his foot. He wouldn’t ever tear them up so I just ignored it. Well tonight I found him on the sofa and realized what he has been trying to do for 2+ months…. 8244EFB7-0751-42D6-AA23-42BBBA28FD6F.jpeg
    Apparently I need to turn the temp up on the ac cuz the poor fella spent an entire month figuring out how to put on socks.

ash d, TJF, oldnotdead and 2 others like this.
  13. cml5895

cml5895 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Just wanted to pop back in to this thread. I started this thread over 3 years ago to show off my new blockheaded yellow lab pup that was filling the void that losing my 13 year old chocolate lab, Chili, left. It is amazing all the stories, pictures, young dogs, old dogs, pure beds and mutts that you guys have shared. It is a different kind of love we have for our dogs, and most certainly a different kind of mourning when it is their time to go. Thank you for everyone who has shared their experiences both happy and heartbreaking so far, and I look forward to continuing to read about your best friends with paws for years (hopefully) to come.

Ruck is doing well and will be turning 4 in October and it blows my mind how quickly time has flown. He has such a personality of his own and is so loving. He follows along with my niece and nephew, both under 3 years old, and does his best to keep them both in his sight. Despite the ear pulling, screeching, and stepped on tails, he just sits there and takes it all in. It's truly one of his best qualities. He also is quite the chick magnet and I am almost positive that my girlfriend would choose him over me any day. Here's a few pictures.
    95DA6FF4-4EFB-4EF2-A9C3-36FAAD51B955_1_201_a.jpeg IMG_7391.jpeg IMG_3770.jpeg IMG_6643.JPG

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 20, 2022
    ash d, Bone Head Hunter, TJF and 2 others like this.
  14. oldnotdead

oldnotdead Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    A.J. seriously scared me today. NOT in any way in his personality, but his speed and strength.
    The goat barn wood chuck has been teasing him for two years. A big female that had little ones each year. I swear she knew when I was in a stand weapon in hand or even remotely close for a shot. Well today she made her first and only error. A.J. snatched her up so fast and broke her back with the first shake but there were many more after. She weighted at least 5-6# and he shook her with such force she was flipping completely over his head to the other side. I called him off and he dropped her but she was still alive and had enough fight to grab him. Well that didn't go over well! . By this time I had a short 2x4 in hand and commanded another release. He stepped back just far and long enough for me to club her head. He then rushed in and OMG HE crunched ever bone in her head and neck it freaked me out.
    My 130# shepherds helped me kill many a raccoon and my male and female would tag team skunk and raccoon literally tearing them in half. Never have I seen the pure strength or heard the bone crunching from them I heard today. He's sitting here next to me snoring away.

He gets along great with other animals and never chases birds, cats, deer,Turkey. Makes me wonder if he survived before getting saved be killing things like Chuck s ,and rats. He was lost during a southern state weather event.

Well now I'll be on the look out for the little ones coming out hungry..she was still nursing...at least two maybe three.

ash d likes this.
  15. JeffC

JeffC Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hope and sounds like AJ didn't get hurt, animals fighting for their lives can have amazing strength.

16. JeffC

JeffC Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Collin so glad to see pictures of Ruck again, He looks so much like Molson. Since we had to put Molson down, we have kinda filled that void "doggy sitting" my son has a rescue pit mix, dumb as a pet rock, "Lilo". Then there's a 2yr old bull dog named "Bella". And we have another Lab in our life, "Maggie", she is 9, over weight wants to hunt but hasn't figured it all out yet.

Attached Files:

ash d and cml5895 like this.
  17. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks
    no I took him straight home and put on some rubber gloves. Took off his collar and with a warm soup water washed his entire head and neck until there was no sign of blood. Checked all over and could not find where she had latched on to him. I think with the shaking and broken back she didn't have enough strength to do him harm. His initial grab was her back side....,I just can't believe how hard and fast he shook her. Seriously at one point it literally looked like his head was twirling like a lawn ornament. We know he's all muscle, but geez..

JeffC likes this.
  18. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Scary as it might have been, rest assured that same might will defend you one day if ever needed.

Should I ever muster up the strength to bring another dog into my life, self and home protection will be at the forefront. Lap dogs are great and loving just the same, but getting older and the world going the way it is I'd rather have a dog capable of taking a life, that can be just as gentle and personable as my 11 pound min-pin was.

ash d and oldnotdead like this.
  19. TJF

TJF Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:

" The Grinch’s small heart grew three sizes that day. " :jaw:

Damn Sota, you are starting to scare me!!! 2022 is a year of sucks sh!t and WTF.

cantexian and oldnotdead like this.
  20. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    That's exactly what hubby said. I never had a doubt that the shepherd s would protect me. Lady put a hole in Hubbies hand when he came to bed late and reached for the covers. He was living out of state on a job and flying home for monthly visits. Lady slept on the bed for my security alarm because of the kids and us being so far out in the country and back in the woods.. Bear grabbed a chow that menaced me on the property. He actually grabbed it by the neck and shook it until I dc gave the release command. We never saw that dog again.
    A. J just surprised me today...he's such a love me, love me dog.