Best things in life

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by Fix, Dec 17, 2018.

1. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Stash flashlight, extra wire an wrote cutters...just in case. Ask me how I know...

Enjoy!

oldnotdead, cantexian and Sota like this.
  2. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I keep track of my boys’ stats from each baseball game. Here are the season totals for my oldest son playing as a 10 year-old. I knew he was having a great year but it was better than I thought.

Hitting
    AB-18
    Outs-2
    Strikeouts-0
    Walks-2
    Hits-14
    Avg-.778

Singles-8
    Doubles-2
    Triples-2
    In park HR-2

Defense
    SS- 4 Throw outs, 1 Pop out
    P- 14 innings: 39Ks, 12 Walks, 5 Hits, 2 Pick offs, 2 Hit Batters, 1 ground out fielded.

3. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Took a walk with my wife, daughter, SIL and granddaughter last evening...we walked up on this fellow...
    Image1655167559.318144.jpg

4. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Heck of a season for the young man! Keep it up!

Are they doing lead-offs in his league? Our 10U leagues still don't allow them and players can't leave the base until the ball crosses home plate. All of that changes next year.

cantexian likes this.
  5. cantexian

Dislikes Received:
    Yes, in USSSA rules lead offs start at the 9/10 age division. My boys started playing that way as 9-year-olds last year. He should have had four pick offs, unfortunately the first baseman dropped the ball twice during the tag.

My oldest made the league all star team for the state tournament this coming weekend. For the state tournament, stealing home and dropped third strike rule has been added. Those rules were not included during the regular league play season.

Mod-it, virginiashadow and Justin like this.
  6. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Nice job on making the all-star team!! When I was that age making All-Stars was probably the pinnacle of my life. :lol:

We've been playing part-time travel the last two seasons and are likely moving into full-time travel starting next year. Right now we have to juggle two teams, two sets of teammates and coaches, two sets of rules, and a whole lot of baseball. It's been a great bridge between in-house rec ball and full travel and has allowed our kids to step up to a higher level of competition, but it's time to move on. We can't steal home in rec ball, but can in our travel league. Rec still has a five-run limit per inning, but we play unlimited run tournaments for travel. It's tough balancing it all.

cantexian likes this.
  7. cantexian

Dislikes Received:
    We don't do year round travel ball, even though my boys play sports year round. I don't want them getting burnt out playing one sport too much, especially my oldest. He has the potential to play baseball at high level if he keeps working hard. He has the work ethic and drive to do it. Every team he has been on, he has been "the kid." He can take over and control a game. His all star coaches are seeing that and have given him the responsibility of running the defense on the field. They have told the team to do what he says. As athletic as he is, it is knowledge of the game and situational awareness that is really impressive. He just knows where he has to be and what he has to do on a level that goes well beyond his age. Watching him play, it seems like he sees the game in slow motion compared to everyone else and has the knack to anticipate things before it happens.

He is heading into middle school this fall and has his first opportunity to play tackle football. He wants to be the QB. At his request, we started working out twice per week to make him stronger and faster. When the baseball tournament is over, we are going to start working out 4x/week and do QB drills the other 3 days. None of this is my pressure or forcing him to do it, he is just that driven and confident in his ability to succeed. I actually told him it might be too much training at his age, but, he wants to do it so we are. We will see if it sticks, especially if the summer continues to be as hot as it is this week.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2022
    MUDSHARK and Justin like this.
  8. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Preflight cocktails are back on Delta flights.

9. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Heading to Orange Beach, AL for 12 days. Forst time since i was born we will be going on this vacation without my Grandpa. It was so important to him. Getting the family together was what he lived for. Holidays, vacations, reunions. Man lived for his family, extended as well.

His last year on the beach. Rip gpa. CF4D0469-F642-4D52-AB77-4BCA406F3ECD.jpeg

MUDSHARK, fletch920, dnoodles and 4 others like this.
  10. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Have one at the Floribama in his honor.

Shocker99 likes this.
  11. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Grandson's tractor is now in 2nd gear he has developed enough to steer. Less than a week the kid is drifting with his tractor.

Shocker99 likes this.
  12. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Will do! Where we stay is walking distance to it. :beer:

Sota likes this.
  13. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I remember thinking I was a tough guy football player when I was real young. Thought baseball was weak. Tried out for baseball and threw a few pitches. The kid clobbered the ball and it hit me in the chest. Scared the hell out of me! Said yeah I'm not playing bball anymore. Haha. I lasted like 2 practices.

cantexian and Justin like this.
  14. cantexian

Dislikes Received:
    During one practice a couple of months ago, the other coach of the team smoked a line drive at my son during fielding practice when he was on the mound. My son snagged the line drive like it was no big deal. Myself, the other coaches and his teammates were all cheering the great catch even though it was practice. My son just looked around confused like he was thinking, "what's the big deal, can't everyone do that?" His hand-eye coordination and reaction time is phenomenal, he won the genetic lottery with that. The other coaches and myself talked after practice and we were all glad it was him on the mound and not one of the other kids. I don't think any other kid on the team could caught that and would have been hit hard. The hit was right at his face, and probably would have been a serious injury if he hadn't caught it.

15. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    holy crap!

cantexian likes this.
  16. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    My son played up on the 12U (11/12 year old) in-house team last night as they were short a few kids. He's still 9 for another couple of weeks so he was pretty young, but played better than most of the kids on that team. Went 1 for 2 with a walk, RBI and 2 runs scored. Played great in the field as well. One of the other 10-year-olds from our travel team played up as well and went 3 for 3 with a couple of great plays on the field. Coach asked if they can just play on his team all the time. :lol:

I played ball as a kid but my parents never pushed me and looked at it more like a burden on them than anything. It's great to see my kids with some better opportunities and really starting to excel and enjoy it. My oldest is moving into full travel next year, my daughter is starting team gymnastics, and my little guy will be doing his second year of instructional tee-ball. I may need a second job to afford it all, but it's absolutely worth it. We're having a blast.

17. S.McArthur

S.McArthur Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Wife is closing her first house sale today...time for me to hit the retirement button!

MUDSHARK, Fix, Mod-it and 6 others like this.
  18. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I needed to get rid of my old outboard, did not want to mess with it. Put it on Craigs for free, gone in 20 minutes.

19. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    So long as it's not the house you're living in. Congrats to your wife...and to you, if you hit the retire button...

Justin and Sota like this.
  20. picman

picman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:

Sophomore year my son had a similar thing happen twice in one game. Perfect pick off throw down at the 1st basemans ankle. All he had to do was fieled the ball and the runner would slide right into the tag. Nope! Never even reached down to catch the ball.

His excuse? My kid is left handed and he was used to right handed pitchers. WOW