Is the Cost of Hunting Driving Hunters Away? DISCUSSION

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by muzzyman88, Jun 7, 2022.

1. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:

Not sure a stimulus check is a good example as it was a involuntary program. Well, I guess you could refuse to cash the checks. And yep, have a family of 5 and I didn't see any of those checks either. Not $1. Everyone always has their hand in my pocket. Not the other way around.

As for as the PPP loans, not a fan. I am in the banking business and service over 300 banks and CUs across the nation. Every business that could took advantage of it whether they needed it or not. Everything from employees getting bonuses with those PPP funds during that time because it was use it or lose it and a lot of other shady sh*t. Pissed me off...

Farm payments to KS alone were almost 1/2 billion in 2021. I think its OK to expect more for our tax dollars with a voluntary programs that essentially hands out free money.

Based on average farms sizes in KS, this change would have the potential of opening millions acres . Assuming the participation in the program doesn't drop. I would be fine with that either way!

2. oldnotdead

oldnotdead Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I stand back read and 're-read then say, yep I understand why land owners on all levels big and small, hunters or not, say nope no way.
    Now on the farm thing...it kinda makes me laugh...you don't get my and EVERYONE else's tax money unless you allow HUNTERS to tramp all over your land. BTW who's paying the liability insurance? This said it's Not to benefit ALL tax payers just hunters. It's not a lower your profits on good years for all tax paying consumers. It's so hunters can get a better crack at a bigger buck...lol

Last edited: Jun 10, 2022
    MUDSHARK likes this.
  3. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    No liability insurance for the land owner or the person accessing it? In KS, landowner is covered against liability unless the owner is charging them to access their lands. I know other states have similar laws. I am not saying something couldn't happen where the land owner could be found negligent but it would have to be something that was intentional or just flat out crazy E.G. booby-traps, sabotage a tree stand, etc... . This was designed specifically encourage landowners to allow sportsman to access their lands without liability. The problem is is most landowners either or not aware of these laws or are still unwilling to take any risk.

The size of the buck has nothing to do with it, its a matter of having places to hunt and hunter density within the acreage that is accessible. The higher the density, the more potential problems will arise. The program could be what ever they wanted it to be. Our states check-in / out systems seem to work well.

4. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    So your saying unlike NYS other states don't give out land owner/farm damage doe permits by the fist full for nearly all summer hunting opportunities. Wait I see,not only are they to give up ALL tax payers cash for JUST hunters but they shouldn't lease to specific groups that are willing to do the doe killing in summer. Half the time they can't find guys willing to kill Just doe, so of course it's about buck.You don't want farmers to lease to guys they vet In order to protect their property? Just anyone with a tag and gun should be allowed to roam their lands ? If a shot goes stray God forbid the shooter gets found.
    Now in a legal wording stand point...A land owner that has decided to allow hunting in order to get a financial benefit from the state or feds...well that could be accepting a liability for financial benefit just saying.
    BTW..here I know of two local cases where trespassers fell from old stands they got into. So out comes the law suit. Remember this.....The law be damned, when a suit is allowed to hit the courts and in most cases they are,a lawyers protection is required. Now just whom do you suppose has to pay for said lawyer regardless of out come? Those people lost thousands of dollars for a win.

MUDSHARK likes this.
  5. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    BTW...I will graciously bow out of this conversation. I have stated my disdain for a # of hunters attitudes in the past . This will not change so once the horse is down ...well you know the saying .It's not a personal thing just a general veiw.

MUDSHARK and Heckler like this.
  6. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:

"So your saying unlike NYS other states don't give out land owner/farm damage doe permits by the fist full for nearly all summer hunting opportunities. "

This is not a thing in most states or nearly to the extent you claim. Maybe if these lands where publicly accessible they wouldn't need damage control permits?

"Wait I see,not only are they to give up ALL tax payers cash for JUST hunters"

Anyone, or in your words "tax payer" can hunt, whether they choose to hunt is their choice.

"but they shouldn't lease to specific groups that are willing to do the doe killing in summer. IMO, a landowner shouldn't be able to get but they shouldn't lease to specific groups that are willing to do the doe killing in summer."

So you are telling me its easier to find a group that will pay to help with damage control rather then allow the public to take care of it? And landowners can get permits by the fist full and charge a fee to access and harvest does? That seems like a gray area to me.

Nothing is stopping the landowner from leasing privately. The would just have to make a choice. Either lease privately or participate in state and federal programs for essentially free $$$ that also allow sportsman to hunt.

In a way, right now they take taxpayers dollars giving everyone the finger so to speak. At least in most instances.

7. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Hunt you down a few small public land spots where no other idiout would go..and KILL

8. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    P.S. I do have to clarify . No in NYS you can not charge for the farm deer damage permits. That said there is no law against mentioning you get manage permits to the guys wanting to lease. Also and Fix could probably attest to this it has been in local papers...guys shooting doe to just wound them and getting them to run to a local ravine to die, so they didn't have to deal with them..When discovered ****e hit the fan and the papers. Another reason several land owners around here have No doe policies, see how actions effect an area. Apparently for all NewYorks issues we actually have a ton of public. Lots of our land owners will sell to the DEC or will to the Genesee conservation group.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2022
    Heckler likes this.
  9. LittleChief

LittleChief Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    I know this isn’t what muzzyman88 was referring to, but fuel prices are really going to hurt me this season. Last month our fuel bill was over $800. Granted, I was towing my boat all over fishing and the wife was doing a lot of driving to hike, but hunting the way I hunt would cost much more.

Since we are retired we can’t afford that. I’ve already parked my boat for the summer.

I don’t see fuel prices getting any better anytime soon so I’m already looking at probably not buying Kentucky or Arkansas tags this year and just sticking to Missouri.

@Heckler - if I end up not being able to hunt Kentucky this season you will win our bet. I may just forfeit and “dress up” on opening day. :lol:

MUDSHARK and dnoodles like this.
  10. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    $5 a gallon. Thanks Biden. Just thanks.

11. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    I had plans to check out some public lands, not all that far away with A.J.. nope because we are in hill country. Hill country will siphon my tank faster than parking on a street in Rochester.

ash d and muzzyman88 like this.
  12. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    To this just had Fed X delivery.. mind you I put in a Sam's club order for essentials, PT, TP, dog treats, mouth wash and a $12.99 pair of jeans I bought to just work or hike in. We have a premium membership with daughter and it pays for free home delivery.
    Gas 5.00 a gallon prices for everything out of control. I'm talking overhead,electric, skipping, employee pay....
    They didn't just wait and pack everything up to go at once they sent out the ONE single pair of jeans. Then they will up membership fees down the road...to cover higher cost... WTH!

13. muzzyman88

muzzyman88 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Yep, fuel prices are going to seriously put a damper on many folks this year. Doing the math, I'd have almost 1K in gas this year going to the midwest if I were to go. No thanks.

oldnotdead and LittleChief like this.
  14. muzzyman88

muzzyman88 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:

Pfft... it costs me 5 bucks to get up my drive way at this point... lol.

MUDSHARK and oldnotdead like this.
  15. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    No doubt! Assuming gas prices stay the way they are, it's going to cost us $750 round-trip to get to Wyoming and back in September. Not including any driving we do while we're there. :eek2:

Heck, as of right now I'm not planning on stepping foot on my lease that's 100 miles away until probably late July or August. I'll make a weekend trip out of it to get cameras hung, trim stands and mow/spray food plots. Then I will have to make one trip back to plant and probably won't go again until it's time to hunt. And I highly doubt I'll be buying back any crops from the farmer this fall.

This year it won't be the cost of hunting driving people away - it will be the cost of everything else.

virginiashadow and dnoodles like this.
  16. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    the question is not whether or not it's GOING to happen, but that it SHOULD happen. As a deterrent.

And it is happening, BTW. That's how the G succeeded in forcing all health care providers which take medicare/aid to require the jab mandate on their employees.

It's also how the G is succeeding at federalizing law enforcement, and forcing states to do things that they otherwise would not with highway funds, etc. Once you are on the tip, you are always on the tip. That's the goal.

17. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Now you get me.

cantexian likes this.
  18. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    [​IMG]

19. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    In efforts to save gas money I may live in the jungle and hunt for months, eating things that would make a billy goat puke.

20. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Please hunt a different jungle than @Swamp Stalker. Otherwise, LFTS 2022 is going to weird in horrible, horrible ways.

dnoodles and Swamp Stalker like this.