Wow,NYS 2020 accident report

Discussion in 'Crossbows' started by oldnotdead, Apr 28, 2021.

1. oldnotdead

oldnotdead Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    This happened with a gun as well
    40 yr old with 10 yrs hunting experience died by a crossbow bolt to the chest. He shot him self when hauling a LOADED crossbow up into his stand by a tow rope
    Another guy 42 tied his tow rope to the trigger safety and shot himself with his shot gun in the leg as he pulled it up.
    I don't know what to say...really???

2. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Well that's NY

dstouffer and oldnotdead like this.
  3. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    Lol..I lost count on the # of "shot in the foot" cases. Also who knew squirrel season could be so dangerous!

4. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I think it is clear where I stand on the 2nd Amendment and gun rights etc. already.

That said, I think with it being the right of the people to own firearms it should also be implemented to have proper, mandatory education on firearm use somewhere in the 4th-9th grades in education, or multiple years for that matter. I do not believe anyone who believes in gun rights, concealed carry etc. believe that training and education is bad. Get rid of study hall or make it a part of P.E.. I know some schools already have classes that do such, but need it mandatory education, not just certain geographic determined locations.

Treat every firearm as if it is loaded, never point a firearm at something you do not intend to destroy and know your target and what is beyond it should be able to be recited on cue by every citizen. They should also have knowledge of proper handling and function for various types of firearms, regardless of their stance on them. It might even help change the perspective on firearms eventually.

Abnorml and oldnotdead like this.
  5. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    One guy shot himself in the abdomen taking his...loaded ,must have been primed as well, muzzle loader out of his car. A guy shot his finger while sticking it in the end of barrel to clean debris. All in the NYODN Page 8. It was like reading a three stooges script..honest to God.

6. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Both easily preventable with proper education. When placing a fire arm in a soft case, assuming it was a soft rifle case per the description of injury, always zip both zippers to the butt end of the firearm. You pull it out muzzle away.

To the second same scenario, my "assumption" of it is, he had his thumb in the trigger guard to hold the firearm for the purpose of cleaning inside the barrel tip. Probably tried to sweep deeper in the barrel or was a smaller caliber than his fat finger and when he pushed the firearm down tried to grip it tighter with other hand and pulled the trigger.

Treat every firearm as if it is loaded. Unload when servicing, cleaning or handling in a means otherwise not conducive with safe and practical use.

oldnotdead likes this.
  7. Westfinger

Westfinger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Really sad people have to die this way.

oldnotdead likes this.
  8. KentDorf

KentDorf Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    2 more for the Darwin Awards

Michael George likes this.
  9. gltomp