Hunt stand or Onx

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by pastorjim08, Apr 10, 2022.

1. pastorjim08

pastorjim08 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Hey guys, just like the title says, which do you prefer or do you like something else better? I read pros and cons about both. There are some things I like better about hunt stand and vice versa. To those of you who have used both, or something else, what are your thoughts.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

2. westdesign03

westdesign03 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I actually like and use both for different reasons. I started with OnX. At the end of the day, if I had to choose 1, I would probably still stick with OnX. This is mainly because of the diversity of map layers you can use.

Hunt Stand is unique to me in that you create hunt areas, which is awesome because you can choose to focus in on one property and not be distracted by the entire state. They also have some very cool map layers that OnX does not have in a direct apples to apples kind of comparison.

In my opinion HuntStand’s big strength is the detail they give in their maps. Super high detail in the satellite views of the land. Also their price is a strength. You can get the whole country for $30 a year where OnX you only get 1 state for that price.

OnX’s weakness to me is in the normal satellite base map. It is usable and better than nothing but it doesn’t touch the detail you can get on HuntStand. In contrast though, Hunstand does not have layers like CWD zones and surveillance areas, tree type coverage, crop data layers from the year before, etc.

I find myself using Huntstand to e-scout primarily and find new areas of interest to check out (then sometimes will verify the property boundaries with OnX, because I have seen differences in boundaries between the two.) Then actual hunting and scouting in person I will use OnX. Not exactly sure why… maybe just because I’m most used to that platform at this point and I have a hard time with change lol.

Either way I find benefits to both for different reasons and can’t force myself to ditch one for the other exclusively at this point.

Side note- I got in early with Spartan Forge and while I don’t find it nearly as valuable as the other two, the predictive deer movement on there is really cool and I will reference that once in a while. I know they’re adding more and more to it all the time but at the moment I would not choose SF over the other two.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk lol

rknierim and pastorjim08 like this.
  3. Rick James

Rick James Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I’ve used both pretty extensively. Today I almost exclusively use HuntStand. I love the concept of hunt areas and the ability to share everything I have on a hunt area with someone else.

Both are really good but that is what pushes huntstand to the top of the list for me.

pastorjim08 likes this.
  4. 0317

0317 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    never tried Onx, but I do like Huntstand, which I use quit a bit (marked a new stand location this past Sat.), I just use the free version, may try the "pro" one of these days ... I mainly use it to mark stand locations and to see the winds as they progress thru the day, I plan the locations I'll hunt via the winds ... with the "pro" which you pay for you get more features, property lines/ownership/ foliage changes depending on time of year and more ... I dont get too in depth, it does what I need it to for the state lands I hunt ...

Last edited: Apr 12, 2022
    pastorjim08 likes this.
  5. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I used onX for a couple years and then switched to BaseMap. Cheaper and offers basically the same functionality for less. I still have onX installed, but just use it in free mode for different imagery.

I also have CalTopo that I use in free mode in a very limited capacity for hunting out west…

pastorjim08 likes this.
  6. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I use huntstand. The free version offers enough for me that I do not see any reason to pay for any brand of mapping service. I may consider OnX for property boundaries in the future as I increase my opportunities hunting out west.

7. greatwhitehunter3

greatwhitehunter3 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Never really used hunstand, although I have it, but I love OnX for both hunting on my properties but more so for shed hunting multiple states a year.

8. muzzyman88

muzzyman88 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    OnX here. It gives me everything I need in the mountains of PA. All of the layers and information about logging, etc is really useful here. But I do use it in combination with Google Maps on my home computer. I find that Google Maps is more up to date when I'm looking at things like clear cuts, etc.

9. AshAid

AshAid Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    HuntStand for me… being honest I’m not a computer electronics smart guy and the few times I tried Onx it just seemed a bit confusing to me and plus I have been w/HS so long it is just more friendlier for me…

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums