Bet you’ve never seen this…

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by Mod-it, Mar 30, 2022.

1. Mod-it

Mod-it Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    BIL sent me this pic Sunday.
    He was at our local range, they have targets setup to 100 yards. He was shooting at 90 for the fun of it. For the record he isn’t claiming this was anything except crazy luck, he wasn’t stacking them together. But what a super rare thing to see.
    How many times have you seen a 90 yard Robin Hood?
    03598682-C2BD-419E-A21E-E3831FDD5EA0.jpeg
    2762D32F-0311-445E-B649-11D650CF36A4.jpeg

2. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Not real common for sure. Few even shoot or practice at that distance.

3. oldnotdead

oldnotdead Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Anyone get what sights and rest he was using? If I used sights that would have been my first question.

4. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I thought it only happened to me.:biggrin:

Mod-it and oldnotdead like this.
  5. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    It's all in the stabilizer and wrist band:lol:

oldnotdead likes this.
  6. Mod-it

Dislikes Received:
    Here is what I believe he is still using:
    Mathews V3, set at 70 lbs and 27" DL
    Hamskea Hybrid Hunter limb driven rest
    Spott Hogg Fast Eddie double pin
    GT Hunter Pros, 405 grains TAW.
    The Hunter Pros have pin nock bushings, zoom in and look at how perfectly the 2nd arrow hit and drove it down the shaft. Pretty crazy.

He does have a front and back bar stabilizer, and wrist band, so that must be it Sota.

Sota likes this.
  7. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I have had 2 robin hoods in my archery career, nothing to brag about neither were an absolute bulls eye I was simply consistent in not being 100% accurate.

Shocker99 and oldnotdead like this.
  8. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That is a lucky shot! or unlucky how ever you look at it.

In all my time I don't think I have ever shot one before. Back in the day when I shot aluminum arrows I would hit shafts once and awhile and leave a dent. But can't ever recall getting a true Robin hood shot.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

9. GregH

GregH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    You don't see that every day.

I've had several robinhoods in my archery career the longest being at 40 yards. The ones that stick out the most in my mind were when many years ago, at a local archery tournament, the wife and I were competing in a single spot event as a brush up for the Milwaukee Sports Show tournament. I had just made a dozen arrows just for the event, 2115's. Kind of skinny and thick walled to take some abuse. I robinhooded one during my round and then the wife did as well. First time the arrows were shot! Back to making some more.

10. 0317

0317 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I used to have a wall of robin hoods, Aluminum and carbon, most were from shooting groups, and one was a called shot in a 3D shoot to prove a point to shut a guy up on a "bet ya cant do it"/33 yd shot .... dozens of busted nocks/trashed arrows and almost's thru the years also ... with the cost of arrows today, I very seldom shoot groups and now usually destroy arrows when BH/bareshaft tuning .... I think most 'robin hoods' are just luck (shooting groups) and only a few guys can do it intentionally on a regular basis ... of course the most famous is in the movie Robin Hood, supposedly shot by the name sake (Errol Flynn/Robin of Loxley/Locksley) which was actually shot by Howard Hill who was in the movie itself (fellow competing archer against Robin) and did all the stunt shots ..... those arrows that hit the bad guys were actual arrows shot by Hill (low poundage/close range) into a special made breast plate to stop the arrows and prevent over penetration and injury .... Howard Hill WAS that good ...

Last edited: Apr 2, 2022
  11. bucksnbears

bucksnbears Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Have shot MANY 1000's of arrows and have never done it.
    Have never been a great archer.

Sota likes this.
  12. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Crude
    Crude but effective works a lot of the time.

13. bowhunt4abuck

bowhunt4abuck Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'm fairness a Robin hood needs to be in the bullseye. Thats just a broken arrow

cantexian and Sota like this.
  14. bucksnbears

bucksnbears Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I've hit nocks many times but...., I have not been super obsessed with perfect arrow flight.
    Was poor growing up and had to scrounge whatever arrows I could get. Often horribly mismatched.
    So, I had to learn to get close for a shot. For some reason, I just cant break that mental barrier.
    To shoot a Robinhood, I think it is important to have perfect (or near it) arrow flight?

Sota likes this.
  15. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Or be accurately missing, most robin hoods are slop I will admit it.

16. Mod-it

Dislikes Received:
    The above Robin Hood is for sure just a lucky one, but still very rare since it was 90 yards.
    I would say a "true" robin hood is aiming at an arrow that is in the bullseye and then hitting it. I have gotten two, one "real" and one just group shooting. The groups one was at 20 yards. My "true" robin hood was at 30 yards, many years ago with old 2512 Easton aluminum arrows. I was sighting in and had just moved my 30 yard pin after the last round. My first arrow went into the bullseye on the next round. I decided to shoot another arrow to verify. The bag target I was using had about a 3" bull and I decided that the nock of my first arrow was a better reference to aim at simply because it was smaller. (Wish my eyes were still that good!). 2nd arrow went right into the 1st arrow.

I hate ruining arrows from group shooting. 20 is very risky, 30 happens here and there, 40 and out is rare for me to see damage.
    I was nock tuning arrows this weekend and ruined one. They weren't bareshafts or else I would've shot them at 20, but I bought them already fletched and had some in the group that weren't flying with the rest. So I thought I'd group tune. The plan was to remove ones that hit the bull, reshoot the ones that didn't, spin nocks on ones that repeatedly didn't to see if they'd improve, and then once done I would strip all of them and refletch. I thought 30 yards might show quicker results of which ones weren't flying the same, so that's the distance I shot. I shot 4 at a time hoping that would keep me from ruining any. One of the rounds my fourth arrow ended up grooving one of the previous arrows that was already in the target. I'm glad I noticed it right away, it's pretty damaged.
    arrow.JPG