Can we talk Moose?

Discussion in 'Big Game Hunting' started by wl704, Jan 27, 2021.

1. Borgy76

Borgy76 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Bucket list, but I'm thinking sweden, Finland, or even Russia will be easier and cheaper than US.

2. Retired2Hunt

Retired2Hunt Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I've only hunted Colorado as a resident and for cow moose. If you want a bull moose then don't go there as it will be 15+ years before you get picked. However, Maine has some great moose hunting. Check out https://twitter.com/JamesPmghunter on Twitter or check out Hunting (schanzsguideservice.com) - both are great guides and reasonable in pricing.

3. Mark M. Carey

Mark M. Carey Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I live in NH and at 67 I would have to be reincarnated and start applying while still in utero to stand a reasonable chance of getting a permit in my next life.

GregH likes this.
  4. P17

P17 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I don't know where you are, but my son and I drove with trailer/boat from Colorado to Alaska for moose plus other. We both went for a total cost of around 2500. We used google earth where to put in; prepare for log jams, therefore bring chainsaw. We hunted moose for a week, and only saw a few, which were below size requirement. We had a blast, and the following year returned and got 2 bears. I think diy if you have the time; very affordable; tags, fuel, food and maybe a hotel during drive there.

Hungry Horse, Wop 75 and wl704 like this.
  5. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I've got a sister in Derry... Wrong end of the state, but I've considered putting in for NH... I'm >only< 55...

6. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I'm only 4350 miles, a mere 74 hr drive from Anchorage... In NC. Given that distance, driving probably wouldn't be my plan if I were hunting AK.

I'd probably need to look at a guide, taxi or drop camp sort of arrangement for an AK or Canada hunt. As I travel a lot (when we don't have a global pandemic) for work, getting to major airlines or stays in hotel chains like in bigger hubs/cities (Anchorage, Vancouver, Edmonton, Saskatoon, Prince George) would likely be points.

Past those destinations, is be putting pen to paper to consider air, lodging, baggage/shipping and other costs & logistics.

But awesome info on the boat and chainsaw... Not sure it would've entered my mind.

7. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Alaska:
    Guided/outfitted ...15k-25k. Gets you into some very good areas. With great outfitters.
    Alaska unguided: 7-10k that's with transporter to fly you in or fly in then float ect. I hear lots of guys say you can do it all in for about 5k with tags, flights and getting the meat home.....I have yet do it even close to 5k. This year's trip was about 8k plus all in for caribou.
    Pros to Alaska. Excellent trophy potential, easy tags, DIY.
    Cons: unless you fly in expect resident and nonresident pressure.
    Logistics can be challenging at times.

Western Canada. Northern BC and Yukon 15 to 30K guided and outfitted, big moose, awsome county. You will have to go through an outfitter anywhere in Canada to get tags.
    Tough logistics, expect two days of travel at least on each end.

Southwestern Canada, slightly cheaper. Easier travel 10-15k fully outfitted in good areas, smaller moose, lower densities then Eastern Canada

Wester US.. Unless you started 25 years ago collecting points, forget it. Your chance of drawing a tag is less then .01%

Central Canada, Ontario....skip this at all costs. Lots of half ass outfitter, party tags and generally poor areas with lots of resident pressure.

Eastern US.... Again without a boat load of points the odds of drawing a tag in Maine or NH are almost nonexistent.

Newfoundland, 5-8k for a fly in hunt fully guided and outfitted.Lots of moose. No trophy potential to speak of. Easy logistics, either drive to Nova Scotia and take the ferry from North Sydney or fly into Deer lake. Lots of good outfitters, lots of moose. Easy logistics. Very high success rates.
    Cons, stay away from drive in camps which are cheaper, you will have way more pressure and younger age class of animals.

Hope this helps

8. Oldcarp

Oldcarp Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have 20 preference points for moose for Utah. My odds are not that great for getting a tag. I am 59 and I hope to get it before I’m 70

wl704 likes this.
  9. Claude G

Claude G Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I'm from Prince George BC

Check for reviews and references, hiring a guide/Outfitters. Better paying 15k than taken on a sight seeing tour. Former x assistant guide, Lakes district Lodge. 2010.
    This territory is heavily hunted by locals.
    Ps moose n mule deer constantly nible on my willow bushes n bow hay bale targets. lol.

10. P17

P17 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Well, it is time again to start planning if you haven't already. I decided to hunt Moose in Alaska. The 1st time netted us zero, although saw a few, but nothing legal. I am driving with a trailer, 2 boats, 1 9hp outboard motor, chest freezer, generator, 4 large coolers/ think they are 120 or 140 qrt, I forget lol, but their in the shed, chainsaw and 6 5gal jugs of fuel. I have planned a 2 week float trip for my son and I. He is working, and he can only get 14-16 days off from work. I will drive to Alaska, recon the put in and take out river spots, hang out a week, and pick my son up in Fairbanks. I know with Covid, notifying/scheduling Canada boarder crossing will be necessary; they hate us. We are taking our bows and rifles. I will ship our handguns since our northern haters don't allow handguns in their lovely country. Good luck to everyone

Hungry Horse and Claude G like this.
  11. Claude G

Claude G Newb

Dislikes Received:
    We are all North American.
    Canucks. Are just envious.
    We can't have the same toy's, lol.
    So Welcome thru Canada, nabourly tourist.
    Good luck hunting.

12. cml5895

cml5895 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I went to AK for the first time this past September with a good friend on an unguided fly-in hunt. The 50" min can be intimidating, but there are plenty of resources to educate you on that. I went into it banking on the 4 brows on a side, but ended up shooting a moose with 2 and 3 but surpassed the 50" mark. In terms of cost, "door to door", my total was $5,300 and I cannot see any of my future trips up there being any cheaper than that. Everything went smoothly, some costs were split 50/50, and again EVERYTHING went smoothly. I can see how unexpected's can add up quick. Feel free to message me with any detail questions, I will be happy to help out answering. 4815F462-DAC9-474D-AF33-D7D2A7316895.jpeg

13. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I can talk moose if you are paying for my tags and the trip? I mean have a little heart already. Sheesh.

14. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    congrats, that's an awesome pic and trophy.

What the hell were you using? 30MM?

upload_2022-3-22_16-17-10.png

Guessing .338 something?

15. cml5895

cml5895 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    That was a .340 Wby Mag. There was a lot of bears in that unit, although we never had an encounter. Rather have it and not need it... was my thinking on the round.

Mod-it and dnoodles like this.
  16. dnoodles

Dislikes Received:
    thanks. I knew it was bigger than a .300 WinMag. Was thinking the rounds were long like a .338 Lapua but the neck was much shorter. So there you go.

Don't see many .340s around. Nice

17. ILbowhntr

ILbowhntr Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Double radius shoulder should have been a give a way that it is a Weatherby.

Hungry Horse likes this.
  18. dnoodles

Dislikes Received:
    thanks, Chuck Hawks!

19. ILbowhntr

ILbowhntr Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    And I was gonna invite ya down to shoot one!

20. dnoodles

Dislikes Received:
    just busting your chops.

Not a big fan of shooting slobberknockers like that. Couple rounds from the bench every year to make sure my my friend's .300WMG is still zeroed every season is enough for me.

Appreciate the almost-offer, but if I wanted to get my butt kicked I'd come home drunk and tell my old lady that I think she should start going to the gym.

Hungry Horse and ILbowhntr like this.