Sidearm holster - chest or leg?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by WhiteMike, Apr 8, 2018.

1. rustednuts

rustednuts Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Chest is often a good option, it wont snag on anything, and is easy to reach if you need it

2. Wesley Lofton

Wesley Lofton Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    My Springfield Xd goes on my pack strap as well. Or if I throw the pack in the sled, I’ll go crossdraw or mid back depending on what I’m doing and carrying into the woods. It usually comes off and goes in my pack when I get to tree anyways. Tried a shoulder holster but just doesn’t work well when bundled up for cold weather. Great for hiking in the spring/fall months though. Summer it can rub you wrong if you sweat...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. kurveball18

kurveball18 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I carry my Springfield XDM .40 loaded with 200g Buffalo Bore
    I have a basic hip holster on separate leather belt. I wear camo bibs hunting so I have the separate belt I put it on the outside. Sometimes once in the tree i'll take it off and put in my pack.

4. Terrahari

Terrahari Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I remember my instructor telling me the 10mm is a perfect size for hunting. I don’t think you can stop a bear with your regular self-defense 9mm. Why don’t you consider a waistband holster? I haven’t seen a discussion on an ankle holster. This one won’t interfere with any of your gear. It could take a few hours to get used to the weight on your leg, so before going hunting, walk with it around your house. There are some pretty good suggestions about holsters on https://ballachy.com/best-holster-for-sig-p365-xl/.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2022
  5. muzzyman88

muzzyman88 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I don't think there is a perfect one that works well in every instance. I really like the idea of the Alaskan Guide holster on the bino harness or the NoseGunner bino harnass. That said, I'd guess it will get heavy after a while and really wear down your shoulders. On the pack waist belt is great for most of the day but if you take your pack off to stalk an animal, etc... well the gun is useless when its laying 100 yards away and a Grizz is chewing on your ass... haha. Drop leg seems to at least keep it on you at all times and be in easy reach.. however I don't know how they feel and ride after a long day.

All that being said, I think attached to the bino harness with a good suspension rig to hold it and the binos comfortably all day is probably the best of both worlds.

6. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Fwiw the Razco attached to bino or safari land chest rig seem popular for chest. The pack holster becomes a problem, e.g. Elk down and trying to process it, and Mr Griz ambles in...with a pack leaning against a tree.

muzzyman88 likes this.
  7. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Same here. You want to be able to access it quickly!