The Good Dog Thread

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by cml5895, Mar 7, 2019.

1. PinkPony

PinkPony Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That's about the same thing my beagle does. Except in front of the furnace vent. He's always hogging heat, sun rays or other. Heck, he sleeps under the covers with me every night.

oldnotdead, gjs4 and trial153 like this.
  2. oldnotdead

oldnotdead Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Well AJ has his yearly vet appointment to check the heart worms. He's been on the slow kill method a year now. Other than breathing hard his cough is all but gone and his activity dial still has two speeds trot to full board and full board is the usual.
    Please wish him luck tomorrow. He has been a blessing,especially to hubby. A woods companion for me.

TJF, JeffC, dnoodles and 4 others like this.
  3. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    OTTO update-

discontinued most chemo yesterday, going to have him on low-dose oral chemo and prednisone until The End.

Intravenous was too powerful and while the tumors responded and shrank, he never went into full remission and his immune system was so low he kept getting secondary internal bacterial infections. He almost died 2x the past month from those. Antibiotics got him cleared out and his energy is back up quite a bit, he's playful for short bursts and he's back on self-appointed guard dog duty. Scared the crap out of our floor estimate guy today!

We're hopeful to have another good 2-3 months with him. The dog, not the flooring guy.

ash d, TJF, GregH and 2 others like this.
  4. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    You've done your best, so sorry he and family is going through this.

dnoodles and GregH like this.
  5. dnoodles

Dislikes Received:
    I just want him to make it long enough to spread his ashes in the woods when I go turkey hunting this spring...or prefereably when I go deer hunting in the fall.

ash d, oldnotdead and JeffC like this.
  6. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    Poor A.J. has had a rough couple of nights. As I mentioned I believe he was lost in a bad southern storm. He obviously had some training before stuck in shelters down south then shipped up here. Well the winds then winds /rains have been wild up here the last few nights and days. When the freight train winds weren't waking us up, they had A.J. up. When not huddled in the kitchen he was pacing window to window barking his alarm bark . The switch flipped suddenly last night and went from torrential rain to snow. Oh yes what an icy mess. Still windy but less noise on the Windows.

7. Siman/OH

Siman/OH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    My puppy has had a rough go. She’s a mutt we got from a rescue in Tennessee 2 years ago. She was instantly an awesome dog, doesn’t whine, beg or bark for attention. Very well house trained. Never aggressive of growls.

Her health is the issue, constant allergies, always itching or licking herself raw. Then she tested positive for heartworm even though she’s on preventatives. Been on steroids and activity restriction because of injections for months now. Can’t get enough to eat or drink now and is becoming overweight. Hair is starting to fall out too. She still my pretty lady though and an important member of the family.

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ash d, cantexian, GregH and 1 other person like this.
  8. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    Best wishes with that. We had a choice of quick or slow kill. The quick was shots but an extremely strict live in a crate and only out to potty for months. Or heart worm medication to stop new worms while waiting adults to die. This can take up to 3-5 years. Now this was to also be some limitations but not your dog will die or else stuff. We decided with A. J. Being a crazed runner we were going to allow him to be a dog. To allow him his best life as long as God deems fit. We will see how he is doing with this At 5:20 today. He does have an itchy issue doesn't scratch but rolls around on his back a lot. This even when nothing dead is not around...lol

9. dnoodles

Dislikes Received:
    Full fat plain Greek yogurt bro. 2 scoops every day. Promise you it will help clear up the allergies. And help keep weight up.

10. Siman/OH

Dislikes Received:
    Weight needs to go down, she’s a fattie from activity restriction.

11. Siman/OH

Dislikes Received:
    We did slow kill for the first 8 months, she doesn’t have any microflaria (the baby worms) but she was still positive. She got the fast kill injections a few months ago, I think her activity restriction is up in a few weeks.

We honestly didn’t restrict her activity too much, we let her be about the house, just no running outside or getting worked up over the mailman.

oldnotdead likes this.
  12. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    What a cluster that was..I get there 20 mins early. I go in and tell them we are here early do they want us to wait in or out in car. They look all puzzled Before she could finish her computer search I 've pulled up the confirmation on my phone. Oopppsss....wrong office! Mind you I've never been to this other office 40 mins away and wouldn't have a clue how to get there. .
    They take us in..A.J' s ears are clear, he's up to 74# but no biggy ,in good shape. Still has an adult worm in his heart. But I expected that. He got all his shots. They all gushed over him and just as I'm folding bill to leave...
    I turn and there is a triangle yellow WET FLOOR sign just to my left. A.J. cocks his head like he's reading it. Before I could pull him away yelling NO! A.J. he lifts his leg. Oh God I'm sorry! They all said that's OK we haven't mopped yet...I could not help my self and said . GEEZ! apparently after reading that sign ...he took it as a command...lol
    Thankfully that got them all laughing.....

Mod-it, GregH, TJF and 1 other person like this.
  13. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I have already got the scolding if you get another dog I am having nothing to do with it. Thing is I am not getting a dog until a couple of the current dogs pass. They are up there in age youngest is 10. I will wait to have an only dog best way, want a pointing lab I prefer dark labs over light.

oldnotdead likes this.
  14. dnoodles

Dislikes Received:
    Then the no fat.

15. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    Hhmmmm I've read that again ....to make clear their computer put us at the wrong office not me.

16. GregH

GregH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Last fall while working on some firewood I noticed a young fellow at the end of my driveway but on my neighbors property. His 4 wheeler had stalled. I drove up on my tractor and asked if he needed some assistance. He declined saying he could walk to the house and get help if he needed to. This guy was a friend of my neighbor's son and was checking trail cams in their woods.

As I was talking to him, my dogs came strolling down the driveway toward us. I told the young man that I was leaving and not to make eye contact with the bigger dog as he is not friendly. Before I could leave, my dog Jones came up to the guy sitting on his 4 wheeler and lifted his leg and pee'd on his front tires. I apologized and the guy just laughed so I took off with the dogs in tow and went back to work.

I think that's my dogs way of inviting someone to leave.

dnoodles, cantexian, TJF and 2 others like this.
  17. GregH

GregH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Out checking my cams and the dogs getting some exercise.

2-20-22.JPG

18. jrk_indle84

jrk_indle84 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    My dog has same thing with itching all the time, i give him benadryl few times a week and helps. Don't remember what vet said for dosage but I just get the benadryl allergy stuff. Don't give it to him all the time just when seems like constantly itching.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

19. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    Lol A.J. Just may be part cat...he went out into the snow yesterday and literally dug up a wood rat. Hubby had to kill it. Today we had enough melt to use the Gator. I had him with me and could clearly see a bunny sitting on edge of trail. I drive right next to it and stop. he finally broke freeze and ran for a scrap tractor. It was less than a ft from A.J.'s door. He then saw it and jumped out. Ran around one side and the rabbit escaped the other running by me again. A.J. oblivious. He's a hell of a mouser but no hunter...

TJF likes this.
  20. dnoodles

Dislikes Received:
    telling you dude, full fat greek yogurt. Helps with all kinds of allergies, shedding, fungal infections...

jrk_indle84 likes this.