from rags to riches

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by TJF, Feb 6, 2022.

1. opossumhunterNC

opossumhunterNC Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Wait… this horse can’t be rode? Are you raising it for its meat? Isn’t the ability to carry you around on its back pretty much a horses only talent? Are dairy horses a thing? Or is there some other little known use for a horse that doesn’t involve riding it, eating it, or making adhesive out of it?

cantexian and Sota like this.
  2. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Pasture ornaments wife spent thousands on daughter retired game horse, she could never be ridden because she would try to run, she would have ran on 4 broken legs. Vet said he knew of few horses with her spirit. That being said all the $ for the daughter to ride and compete when we moved she took all her trophies (big ones) and threw them in the dumpster.

TJF likes this.
  3. TJF

TJF Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Nope. Lady tried to break it for dad a long time ago and the horse broke her. The horse was the last foal born on dad and mom's place so when dad died, mom had to start caring for her. She really enjoyed it besides the sentimental value because dad always loved horses. It gave mom a purpose to keep going besides taking care of her big yard. I don't know many ladies nor guys for that matter that would not have said the hell with it once they hit 80 years old and sold out for an easier life. Mom was 81 when she died and if it hadn't been for covid, she was already looking forward to this spring and summer to spend time working outside. The horse has earned a good life for the enjoyment and many memories she has given us with mom and dad. but especially with mom. Really going to miss not getting to talk to, help or see mom. Was a big part of my life since dad died.

I know your post was in fun. Keep in mind tho... we also have house cats which are pretty much worthless also. I am use to spending money on things that really have no purpose except for costing money and destroying the wife's curtains, nick nacks and breakables. How expensive can one horse be ????? :confused:

elkguide, GregH and Sota like this.
  4. picman

picman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    You will find out in short order....

5. PinkPony

PinkPony Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I can relate totally. When my show horse colicked - I had to get another. Found a mare I thought was great. Turned out she was drugged and was hell in a handbasket. She was too much for me to handle. We did not click. But, my Papa loved her. She was what kept him going to the barn. In December 2015 his health started going downhill fast - we moved all the horses to my house. He passed in February of 2016. I still have this mare, she is 24 years old this year. (now unrideable due to an injury) I could have got rid of her years ago, but she is the last piece I have of my Papa. We still do not click, we still have a love hate relationship, but I know my Papa would have loved her. She takes up space and eats my money. But, just to have that small piece of something I'll never get again, I will keep her. I know the time is limited with her, too.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2022
    elkguide, TJF, GregH and 1 other person like this.
  6. TJF

TJF Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Well, the cats are winning in the expense department verses the horse. Just had 2 fixed and given their booster distemper shot. $387. Damn !!! The only thing more expensive than cats is my youngest daughter. Good news... we wrote out the last check for her college in January. She graduates this spring. :nana::nana::nana::woot::woot: It has been a long, expensive 4 years but well worth it. She should do very well in life.

elkguide, GregH and Sota like this.
  7. TJF

TJF Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry to hear about your dad. Arabella actually is a very pleasant horse. Whinnies when she sees you or you call her name. Leads very well with a halter. Loves to be petted and fussed with. Her fun thing to do is knock my cap of my head or head butt the boss when he isn't expecting it. She does have a little onery side but isn't mean. Wife likes to spoil her. Once spring gets here, I have a feeling she will be spending a lot of time with her.

elkguide and Sota like this.
  8. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    There is nothing better than when paying for college stops. My 2 were 2 years apart daughter got married the year after my son graduated. It was like I quit hitting my thumb with a hammer it felt so good when it stopped.

TJF likes this.
  9. GregH

GregH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I know about the cats. One of my wife's cats swallowed a dime and it cost me $500 to get it back!

elkguide, TJF and Sota like this.
  10. Siman/OH

Siman/OH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Do you guys remember when Hooker tried to get us all to buy Bitcoin back in the day?

I think about that a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. TJF

TJF Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Ouch!

One of ours managed to get hung up on something and rip his back leg ball out of his hip socket. Nothing $600 couldn't fix. Then shortly after that, he was having breathing problems. $400 dollars later we found out he has mild congestive heart failure and is on two types of meds every day. He been on meds for 3 years now. When you see him tearing around the house at full speed every day, you wonder if you should be taking them. Must be some damn good stuff. He has been by far the most expensive kitty.

12. TJF

TJF Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:

The youngest daughter and her boyfriend are planning their wedding. Thanks for reminding me. One more big check then I am done !! :sad:

GregH and Sota like this.
  13. GregH

GregH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Tempting as that might be, you could possibly end up with the urge to climb trees and catch birds then bring them back to your wife as a prize.

It might be worth it!

elkguide likes this.
  14. TJF

TJF Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    No !! Then she would save them and I would be paying for birds in the house. The inside cats would probably love it though. I could see the vet bill just skyrocketing.