Carrying a sidearm during archery hunting seasons.

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by ironduck, Jan 30, 2022.

1. ironduck

ironduck Newb

Dislikes Received:
    In your state, are you not allowed to have a handgun on your person, open or concealed, while hunting during archery-only seasons? Assuming you are even allowed to have a gun on your person during archery-only seasons, are you prohibited by law in your state from using a firearm to dispatch archery-wounded game with a firearm?

Why might one even want to pack a pistol while bow hunting?

1. personal security, criminal threats can occur anywhere in the world at any time
    2. protection from wild animal attacks, a modern repeating gun is more formidable than bow in defensive situations
    3. dispatching wounded game if the law even allows it

My state, Oklahoma, is now a permitless (constitutional carry) state.

Oklahoma game regs are a little murky here with regard to mixing guns and archery bows:

Big Game Regulations - Oklahoma Hunting | eRegulations

Firearms Restrictions: Unless otherwise provided by state law, no person may carry or use any firearm in conjunction with archery equipment during any archery season.

Unless otherwise provided by state law = what does this really mean?

General Hunting Regulations - Oklahoma Hunting | eRegulations

Carry of Firearms

Unless otherwise provided by state law, a person may carry a firearm on any private or public state lands. This includes, but is not limited to, while hunting, fishing, scouting and tracking. Federal lands such as Corps of Engineers or National Wildlife Refuges are subject to additional regulations that may prevent the provisions of this act.

Unless otherwise provided by state law = again, this vague clause

I don't appreciate it when hunting regulations undermine gun rights and self-defense rights.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2022
  2. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    In NY you may not be in possession of firearm while bowhunting. I am totally fine with that, no need for it.
    The only time I carry a handgun while bowhunting is in grizzly county. Otherwise it’s a waste of weight and not needed.

Mark M. Carey likes this.
  3. westdesign03

westdesign03 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    In Ohio we are allowed to concealed carry while hunting any season. We’re just not allowed to use the gun to hunt with. Pretty sure we’re not allowed use it to dispatch the animal either. Never looked into that super close but don’t recall ever coming across that particular topic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Westfinger likes this.
  4. LittleChief

LittleChief Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Missouri is a constitutional carry state also and the MDC regulations are murky on the issue too. I carry a pistol of some kind with me bowhunting here anyway.

I'm not worried about bears or mountain lions even though they're here. I'm worried about the meth-heads in the area or their free running pit bulls.

If I get cited we'll just settle it in court. It would be interesting to see MDC regulations override state law. Also, I'd rather go that route than get mauled by dogs or shot by some addict looking for something to sell for his next fix, and we all carry a lot of expensive gear when we hit the woods.

What's the old saying? I'd rather be judged by twelve than be carried by six. Even if I lost in court I'd rather lose my hunting privileges or even do some jail time than lose my life.

5. ironduck

ironduck Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I've already emailed my Ok state F&G for clarifications on bow hunting with sidearms on one's person. I asked about handguns for personal security during archery seasons. Please stay tuned for their answer. If their answer is no handguns on one's person during archery seasons, then I will put aside this notion of taking up bow hunting altogether and address my state legislature about this. I can see not being allowed to use a gun during archery season to kill game, but being not allowed to have one for personal defense is a nother horse of a nother color.

6. ironduck

ironduck Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Anytime I see "no-gun zones" whether in the city or in the boonies, I see it as a magnet for violent crime. The peace of mind an extra couple pounds from a Smith & Wesson .357 or .45 Colt revolver added to my gear load in the field is well worth it. Here in Oklahoma, there is the possibility of dangerous animals outdoors too: cougar, bobcat, wild dogs, rabid animals, rattlesnakes, black bear, coyote and wild hogs.

Bow hunters might also remember that a fresh-killed deer afield might draw nasty predators (with teeth and claws) near.
    [​IMG]

7. trial153

Dislikes Received:
    Sounds like you need a couple Xanax.

8. oldnotdead

oldnotdead Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    So not into hunting for the excitement ,adrenalin rush huh? Going out to track a deer at midnight and while your gutting it with your little knife ,and head lamp on ,look up to see your surrounded by eyes in the dark. Now that's a rush.

I do believe that a certified deer tracker with dog in NYS is allowed to carry. I also believe, don't quote me, dispatch a deer if necessary.

9. ironduck

ironduck Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Here is an answer from Mr. Erdman of the ODWC (Oklahoma state game agency) regarding handgun carry during archery seasons:

"Yes, you can carry a pistol for personal defense only. It can not be used in the hunt in any way. If hunting on any federally owned lands check with them first. If you have any other questions please let me know. Thank you."

I thanked him for such a prompt reply so early on a Monday morning. Now I'm glad to know I can take my trad recurve bow out for deer and have Mr. Smith and Mr. Wesson guard me from any hungry cougar or pack of coyotes that happens to catch scent of my fresh-killed doe. I will have to learn how to dispatch a down wounded deer with an archer's bow safely. It sounds like using a gun for this purpose is still a no-no.

Carrying a Smith or a Glock in scary places eases my nerves much better than any number of Xanax.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2022
  10. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    In NC you can carry a 22 or other handgun appropriate to the method of take allowed season.

Like trial said, I really never have felt the need to carry due to predators, except in Griz country. I seldom worry about lions or black bear out west or on NC.

Even last year in MT, I carried four a few days, but wasn't seeing any bear sign, so I stopped carrying to shave weight.

And on the last day we were hunting, another group we were hunting with, ran into both a black bear and a griz. Though they kept a cool head and distance and moved off.

If I'm hunting, even with a bow, I have a pretty effective weapon with me.

11. ironduck

ironduck Newb

Dislikes Received:
    If I were to run into a threatening human, or a pack of coyote, I would like a little more firepower than mere archery equipment.

12. muzzyman88

muzzyman88 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    PA just changed their rules a couple years ago, allowing us to carry a handgun while archery hunting. I took that offer and carry every time now. While bears never were an issue, and PA has a ton of bears, they are becoming more bold and a PITA more. We're seeing more confrontations with them than ever before. So carrying is a nice peace of mind for that. But more so than anything, the predators of the two legged variety. Public ground, private ground, it doesn't matter. Criminals don't care.

We had a rash of hunters of being jumped in the dark and beaten. Much of it was over drugs that were being grown or made in the middle of no where and the criminals wanting to make sure they weren't found out about. I believe that was a big reason for PA changing its laws to let us carry. Meth and heroin operations in the woods is a very real situation for many places anymore

I'd rather have it and not need it.

alenhard15 likes this.
  13. Mod-it

Mod-it Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    We can carry during archery season here in Idaho. It is a Constitutional Carry State, within the last 5 years, but even before that we could carry it under a jacket/coat "concealed" when hunting if we wanted. Before Constitutional Carry, the concealed carry law stated that you couldn't carry concealed without a permit in any "city, town, mining camp, logging camp, or railroad camp, or while driving in a vehicle on any State or County maintained road".
    We cannot use one to dispatch an animal during archery only season. An animal taken during archery only season had better not have any bullet holes in it or you're not going to have a good day.
    I mostly only wear one when hunting solo, if I'm hunting with a friend or two I don't bother.
    I've only ever had one situation where I wished I had a sidearm while archery hunting. It involved a cow moose that had a calf, she wasn't happy we were within 80 yards. We were far enough from her that we were able to slip into the trees and hold still for about 10 minutes and she finally wandered off. She didn't ever full on charge us, but she was definitely headed towards us with "purpose".

14. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    For those of you that can't carry open, concealed or don't want too. A BAC of bear spray goes along ways. Its great for meth heads, bears, dogs, kitties or anything else that could attack you. This stuff is brutal. I caught a little over spray of it in the wind once and couldn't see, breath and I instantly puked. Couldn't imagine getting a direct hit. It some ways it may even be better then a firearm.

I carry it all the time, even when I am fishing and yes, we don't even have bears in KS. lol! I also carry a firearm when I am pub ground or in an area in am not familiar with if I legally can.

Attached Files:

oldnotdead and muzzyman88 like this.
  15. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    In Minnesota if you by law can not possess a firearm you can not possess pepper or bear spray.

16. muzzyman88

muzzyman88 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have thought about the bear spray option here in PA. It would certainly be lighter than a handgun for a full mag. Our bear situation, albeit only black bears, has gotten steadily more sketchy over the years. I can't say I've ever had a problem with a bear, but I run across a few every season. Most times they run but sometimes they will hold their ground and watch you. You can't trust them. Our bears are also very large compared to other parts of the black bear range. 600lbs + sized bears are not uncommon here.

But I also would love to shoot a meth head in the face with bear spray to be honest.... haha.

Shocker99 and Heckler like this.
  17. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    If I had meth heads or felt threatened, I would carry more. But a meth head or other trouble maker is unlikely to hike the couple miles into the woods at o dark thirty for a chance encounter.

I've also had little problems with other hunters (like the moron I chased down with his kids shooting targets with rifles on game land... When I was down range), a few confrontations, but also recognize they are also carrying.

Also, why I'm not stopping at the places like Walmart, McD or Hardees on my way to/from the woods.

18. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    in-the-face-hangover.gif

19. trial153

Dislikes Received:
    This guy is trolling posts like this on other places too as a new member. Wonder what the motivation is

20. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Or maybe he has had a different life experience than you.

oldnotdead likes this.