Team 9 - Tag & Drag

Discussion in '2021 Deer Contest' started by Holt, Aug 30, 2021.

1. fowcbler

fowcbler Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    We are still basically just getting night movement down here in TX. Temps havent dropped low enough, long enough, to get them to move about during day hours.
    Cams show early morning and later evening every once in awhile, but majority of movement has been between 630-1230.

2. fowcbler

fowcbler Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Couple of days late here, but Merry Christmas All.
    Hope everyone got some much needed time off.

gltomp likes this.
  3. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    My family here had a good Christmas. Nothing happened for me in the deer world. Havnt been out in almost 2 weeks. Getting the itch to get back after one more deer.

gltomp likes this.
  4. fowcbler

fowcbler Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Great to hear family had a good Christmas.

I too have had that itch, for several weeks now. Should get a few more sits this weekend hopefully. Several of the bucks are back in bachelor groups, only problem is weather has not been favorable for hunting. Hoping the cold front headed down this way gets here a day or 2 early, but either way plan on getting a couple morning sits and at least 1 evening sit in.

gltomp and Holt like this.
  5. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Weather helps, but deer have to eat every day. Just sit on food and hope they get there before dark. Just remember to aim at lower third of deer. If your deer were jumpy before, they are hyper sensitive now in late season. Good luck on your hunts!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

gltomp likes this.
  6. gltomp

gltomp Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm really bummed - I'm not seeing deer on any of the Amish farms... ugh!

BUT... good news... we had Christmas dinner at our daughters and our granddaughter and her husband were there. He asked me if I had got any deer this year, and I said, 'no'. I told him I'm only hunting with the X-bow this year due to the contest. He asked me if I'd like to hunt with him 'til Jan 1st (last day of season). He said there's a 10-point behind his house, plus some doe, and there's a ton of woods. He normally doesn't let anyone hunt his property, so I was shocked when he asked me. I had asked him earlier this year for permission to hunt deer there and he said, 'no'. I really think it was because of the 10-point (he's seen him three years now).

During this week a hunter can use a rifle, X-bow, shotgun, compound bow, or muzzle-loader. He's going to use his rifle, but I'm going to hunt with my X-bow. I have enough tags for 2 bucks and 2 doe in that WMA. The weather forecast says it's going to be iffy most of the week, but I don't care... he's going to sit me in a blind, while he still-hunts the big woods behind his house. Hopefully he'll move one that comes close enough (<40-yards) for me to shoot.

sknox8, Christopher Jay and Holt like this.
  7. fowcbler

fowcbler Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Sounds like a wonderful Christmas, and being gifted hunting opportunity sounds even better.
    Wishing you the best out there.

8. archbunk

archbunk Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Hope everyone had a Merry Christmas. My family went to my parents cabin in PA for a week and had no cell reception which is nice. Just got back late last night. Our season ends this Saturday so hoping to get out at least one more time. We shall see

gltomp and Holt like this.
  9. gltomp

gltomp Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Foggy, damp, wet, misting rain most of the day. It was so quiet... peaceful actually. No deer sighted. :bigcry:

10. sknox8

sknox8 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Got a blind set up yesterday for this weekend. Watched the buck that I hit feed out in the field by the house in the winter wheat. Need to move the blind tomorrow as he was not close enough on his route tonight. About 20 deer were out there. Suppose to be cold tomorrow about 6 for a high. Deercast says great. Fingers crossed for another chance at him

Holt and gltomp like this.
  11. gltomp

gltomp Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Last day tomorrow. Hopefully it won't be as foggy as it's been the past two. Was talking with the grandson a few minutes ago and he says we're going to make a move tomorrow. Ok... I said, as long as I can see deer and get a shot at one. 5am wake up... nite all... Happy New Year!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Holt likes this.
  12. Christopher Jay

Christopher Jay Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck all! I’ve got until mid January. Gonna try and get another doe for even though I’ve got all the points I can. Hope everyone can get out and get eh at they need to hold them over til next year!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Holt likes this.
  13. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck guys!

I will be out tomorrow also. Looking for that last deer for the year, then I'm done.

14. fowcbler

fowcbler Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Loving the last pushes here to close out the season.
    I have gone out twice last couple days, and this afternoon will probably be my last hoorah until next season.

Wishing everyone best of luck and Happy New Years!

15. gltomp

gltomp Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Sat out all day at my grandsons... started with early morning fog, then drizzle from noon til 4, then rain followed by evening fog rolling in. Super quiet day, except for my screaming tinnitus, and a ton of crows cawing from 2o'clock on.

16. sknox8

sknox8 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Sat the last 2 evenings. Seen a lot of deer and a handful of bucks. 1 was a nice 2 yr old. No sightings of the one im after. I brushed the blind in fairly well I thought but there were a couple does that did not like it. Will be out next weekend for sure. Not sure if I will be able to after work at all this week.

Holt likes this.
  17. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Keep going if you can guys! Just a couple deer can put us back in it.

I got out last night. Jump a half dozen deer. Then scouted for 2 hours. Found a small spot right beside the road that had some deer in it. I snuck in as close as I could and about 15 minutes before dark I had a doe get up and walk right to me. I was on the ground and she spotted me before I saw her. She was only 15 yards and blew and ran. I didn't hear her because the leaves were wet.

gltomp likes this.
  18. archbunk

archbunk Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    My season is done for this year. Went out the last couple of days with the kids but no luck. I'll be cheering from the sidelines

19. gltomp

gltomp Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Same here arch. I feel so bad I didn't put down a deer for the team. This is the first year I hunted with my Xbow only, and one of few I didn't connect.

20. fowcbler

fowcbler Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Mine is complete as well. Finished up Sunday morning on what I thought would have been premium opportunity but didn't see anything. Just how it goes sometimes I guess.
    On to off season hog hunt prepping, maybe look for some turkey hunts somewhere, and start planning next year out.
    Hoping to get out to archery shop here and test out some used bows and possibly pick a newish one up. Nothing wrong with one I have, would just like to add to the arsenal and have a backup in case something sour happens.