West Central Illinois Late Season Gloves

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by BuckHunterUnlimited, Nov 19, 2021.

1. BuckHunterUnlimited

BuckHunterUnlimited Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Gotta hand muff and Scentlok mid-season gloves with finger cut out for shooting bow release. All that said, walks in and out and long sits, even with hand warmers get cold late season.

What is the warmest late season glove you experienced, liked and would highly recommend? Of all the pieces of late season gear I have bought, this is the hardest I have found to work well.

Sent from my Lone Wolf treestand using Bowhunting.com Forums

2. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Midweight glove with handmuff and hand warmers and they are still cold? Maybe you need to focus on heating up your core more so your body isn't robbing your out extemities? Do you have circulatory issues? I mean I wear a big heavey ski type glove walking in/out but that isn't going to help you in the stand. I must have full dexterity so I ony can wear a liner type glove when in the stand. Handmuff with hand warmers has always kept my hands warm enough. Maybe try a bigger hand warmer or a different brand? I am just guessing!!!

3. BuckHunterUnlimited

Dislikes Received:
    Check-down on all of those. I just ordered some late season bibs and jacket for the potential core issue. Up until this year, late season base-layers and my mid-season jacket and pants have worked. Maybe turning 51 its time for warmer outer layers. My muff is an old Hunter Safety Systems muff, so you might be right on updating to a newer model. It is the walk in and the walk out that gets to my hands the most. Thanks Heckler!

4. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Let us know what you find works best for you. I will tell you I held off way to long buying a heated jacket. The Milwaukee softshell heated jacket is the best thing ever made IMO. I am sure all the heated jackets are similar but I already had their batteries with all my tools. This is a good time a year to be looking at those as Home Depot typically hasgood deals on all things Milwaukee.

Here is the one I bought:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwauk...3-0-Ah-Battery-and-Charger-224C-21S/317620309

I also thought about trying the quilted vest as I think using it as a layering garmet may be even better yet!

Last edited: Nov 30, 2021
    BuckHunterUnlimited likes this.
  5. BuckHunterUnlimited

Dislikes Received:
    I am going to look into the heated vest in the coming years, cause I think are are good idea. I got system I think has worked pretty good this winter. The First Lite Solitude bibs and jacket. I got them on sale, so not full price. I like them for the system more than if they are better than any other near peer competitors. I have used Scentlok for several years and their gear is top notch, but for the price point on sale First Lite’s Solitude setup and system puts them in my first place for comparable warmth and over the top access.

The pocket and reach through ability for warmth and easy access to the essentials like range finder, grunt call, etc is really nice.

Like Heckler mentioned, layer appropriately (Scentlok heavyweight baselayers, I will never get rid of them they are the best I have ever used) and couple this system with some merino liners/mid-season gloves and heat pads in the front bib pouch system my hands have been great. I coupled that with heat pads on my chest inside the bib and one one on the kidneys and my core stays warm. With nothing but my Scentlok heavyweight baselayers, I have not even needed the Solitude jacket until winds speeds get up and temps reach low 30’s. You could even add a heat pad on the back of your neck, but I got the Tundra balaclava from First Lite, so I have not needed one there.

I learned a lesson from freezing these past few years. Just get a good set and system (the company you believe in) from the get go, otherwise you spend just as much money buying separate pieces to make up for it all. I am not as bulky now, hands are warm, body is warm and I can hunt longer and more comfortably.

Now I need to figure out my best boot setup. I got 1200 gram Alpha Agility boots, but temps in the 30’s and below in the treestand, just need a bit more warmth.

Any ideas? I hear the heat pads do not work in rubber boots. I use merino wool socks.