Single Pin Sights: Pros & Cons?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Wapiti426, Dec 24, 2021.

1. Wapiti426

Wapiti426 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Let's hear them, thoughts on single pin sights for hunting?

2. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I got a Fast Eddie XL Double Pin and never looked back.
    I'm shooting a 535gr TAW and when my top dot is 25 my bottom dot is 40. Dead on at 25 is maybe 3" high at 15, and a couple inches low at 30. I almost never have to move it.

However, if you are out west (and looks like you may be) I can see where a 5 pin is a good option, and I used a 5 pin on my elk Idaho trip (before I got my Fast Eddie.) It was nice to have instant acquisition at longer distance and also the increased ability to shoot the pin gaps, especially on a big target like an elk.

Wapiti426 likes this.
  3. Wapiti426

Wapiti426 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Appreciate your thoughts. Yup, I am indeed out West but cut my teeth bowhunting in Wisconsin. As it stands I prefer a single pin sight and probably picked up that habit from a brief stint in target archery. To your point the "out West" factor has me a little hesitant on the idea of a single pin, but the Spot Hoggs have definitely piqued my interest.

4. 0317

0317 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Ive been using single pins for over 20 years, I also from time to time use fixed pins and just purchased a MBG Revenge and sent it back to Black Gold for reconfiguration of the .019 pins (green/yellow/green/yellow) I cant stand red .... anyways, Ive used HHA for 'prolly the last 10 years, first the OL5519 and now the .019 Tetra which is a damn good sight ... I generally leave it set at 25 yds and am good with my arrow/speed from 5 to 33 yds with no adjustment, I can go further with just a tad of hold over, 40yds is level to 1-2" down on a deers back (8-9 inch drop)... I like it 'cause I have only one pin to worry about and no pin clutter, plus when I was dealing with TP, I did better just concentrating on one pin ... I'll see how the 4 fixed pins(20-30-40 for hunting, 50 for 3D) go when the MBG Revenge comes back but I do prefer a single pin ... I do hope to hunt with both next season ..

Wapiti426 likes this.
  5. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Not only do I prefer single pin I prefer single vertical. Open sight lines. Quick decisions. Just love it

In Venatione Veritas

Wapiti426 and dnoodles like this.
  6. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Been using verticle pins sincce even before I went to an adjustable. I hate all the clutter in a horizontal multi-pin sight picture.

Wapiti426 and Fix like this.
  7. Mod-it

Mod-it Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Single pin pros and cons, IMO:
    Pros:
    Clean sight picture.
    Can dial pin to exact yardage needed.
    If you use the method of centering your sight housing within the peep, then a single pin is always in the center of your view.
    Can't accidently use the wrong pin (but can forget to adjust it to proper yardage).
    Cons:
    Can't adjust to a different yardage once drawn...have to know how high/low to hold if the animal moves on you.
    Can forget to set yardage before shooting (fixed pin equivalent of using the wrong pin...doesn't happen very often).

dstouffer, Katt72 and Wapiti426 like this.
  8. muzzyman88

muzzyman88 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I switched to a Spot Hogg Double Pin and for the most part, I love the setup. As someone else mentioned. I set the top to 25 and my bottom pin falls around 38 yards. This means I can effectively hit the vitals from 20 to 40 without touching the sight for the most part. The clean sight picture of a single pin is a huge bonus. I also like being able to dial in for exact yardages, especially greater than 40 if I want.

However, this year, I believe I'm going to switch the head on my sight to the new Triple Stack head that Spot Hogg came out with. It seems like the most versitile in that you can remove a pin or two if you decide to, but you can also use it as a fixed three pin and move the top pin to any yardage you want. Reasons are two fold, one of which is just me and how my mind works. What I don't like about a two pin or single pin is the lack of precision without having to move the dial. Lots love them but for me personally, I just can't get past the mental aspect of having a 25 yard pin that hits high at 20 and low at 30. Something else to consider is arrow speed with a setup like I'm using. Faster arrow speeds will make single pinning better. I switched to a 60lb bow this year and shoot a 475gr arrow. My arrow speeds are in the 260's. So for me, I get more variation in how high my 20 yard shots are and how low my 30 yard shots are. I don't care for it.

Of course the other thing to consider is if you're using a single pin only, you will have to move that pin at some point if the shot is outside what you're currently setting the pin on. If you hunt pressured deer, that movement and monkeying around in the tree is a big no no and could cost you.

Katt72 likes this.
  9. ILbowhntr

ILbowhntr Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Ordered a Spot Hogg Fast Eddie MRT 3 pin the other day. Never shot an adjustable sight before. We’ll see what happens.
    I figure 20, 30 and 40 then adjust from there.
    Wish me luck.

Katt72 likes this.
  10. 0317

0317 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    the faster your bow is the better, esp. if you will set it at a specific yardage and then you can just hold a tad high or low, move it only when you have the time, very very seldom do I move it .. .... I leave mine at 25 or 30 yds depending on location I'm at and I am always in the kill zone out to 33-35 yds ..... I'm at 285fps ... see my above post

11. ILbowhntr

Dislikes Received:
    First hunt with it will be this spring, a bear hunt in Canada. Should be pretty simple, set at 20 and forget it. Pretty much the same with late June hog hunt. It’s elk hunting this fall that I’m most concerned about.
    That’s why I went with the 3 pin.

12. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have a 3 pin housing on my fast eddie xl. 20,30,40. The 40 is my slider. Have the bowshop make your tape instead of using the factory. They will input all your specs of your arrow build and bow. Mine is right on the money out to 70-ish yds. Any more than that i have fletching contact. I could adjust my pin cluster down if i wanted to alleviate that but im not worried about it. I never move it unless im target shooting anyway

13. ILbowhntr

Dislikes Received:
    What shop do you go to? None around here that I’d trust to do much. Thankfully I keep all the equipment when I closed mine a few years back.

14. muzzyman88

muzzyman88 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    It depends on your comfort level with your setup and how intimate you know your arrow trajectory, etc. As has already been stated, the faster your arrow speed, the more margin of error in range estimation.

I have been shooting a Spot Hogg Double Pin scope on a Fast Eddie for the last couple of years. When I went this route, my thinking was it was the best of both worlds. I could set the sight at 25 yards on the dial (that is the top pin) and the second pin fell around 38 yards for my setup. This meant that I didn't have to touch the wheel for most shots I would take. Now, if I had plenty of time, I could move the wheel to the exact yardage, but it gave me the ability to not do so if time was limited and I had a deer walking through quickly, etc. It has worked pretty well for the most part.

All that said, I'm really thinking of switching to the Spot Hogg Triple stack scope. I know its me, but mentally, I just like being a bit more precise and not having to touch the sight anymore than I have to. I'd rather have the standard 20-30-40 arrangement and that has me covered for all whitetail shots I would take, but, again, if I really had the time to dial the exact yardage up, I could.

Single pins are nice, but they definitely do have a fiddle factor to them at times. The clean sight picture is nice and the precision they are capable of is a plus, but you have to realize that at some point, you will be fiddling with the sight to adjust for the range. I don't like that as much personally. I don't shoot blazing fast speeds out of my hunting bows so I'd be moving a single pin more than I would ever want to.

15. ILbowhntr

Dislikes Received:
    The 3 pin looked like the best of both worlds to me.
    I have set pins at 20, 30 and 40 which covers pretty much any hunting east of the Mississippi. Then a movable pin for any longer shots, long practice or 3D.

16. 0317

0317 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    ordered another HHA Tetra to put on the new SR350 .. so both the Ritual 33 and the SR350 will have a HHA single/adjustable on them, I do shoot them better than a fixed ...