Fishing thread.

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by Sota, Dec 28, 2019.

1. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Sounds like ice is going to be an issue before you even get to Red. Be safe Jake.

2. Rick James

Rick James Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    So my wife and I were able to buy our first farm this week. I went down today to move some stuff in and change all the locks on the house there. When I got done working I took some time to fish the farm pond, I only had about 20 minutes but I caught several 1.5-3lb bass. My guess is this place probably won’t hold the biggest bass, but it sure was fun to catch them out of our own pond and the kids are going to have a blast as well!

B00CC1B3-99E2-40C8-90B9-709950CFCC34.jpeg

3. MnHunterr

MnHunterr Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Left the house at 330 and got here at 910. Roads pure ice. Lets get these walleyes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

virginiashadow, cantexian and Sota like this.
  4. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Heard that have been snapping.

5. Suncrest08

Suncrest08 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Made it up to Erie to fish the tribs, hit it perfect after the streams were blown out. Caught a pile of fish alot fresh and some older. Here are a few. Kept 2 for the smoker.
    F3BB81E3-B071-4180-B44F-F13D7F9B46A6.jpeg 95458FAC-61FD-4D0B-B2A2-AD19B7EFB7FD.jpeg C37D1E0E-5495-4B31-B0AC-4792830E0057.jpeg

6. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Nice fish.

Suncrest08 likes this.
  7. Birdswacker

Birdswacker Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Pure ice and a crappy road to drive on I bet tensions were high?
    Good luck and let’s see some pictures?

8. picman

picman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:

Ah, needs another year...

Sota likes this.
  9. MnHunterr

Dislikes Received:
    It was an absolute **** show from the time we left our houses. It was incredibly warm last Wednesday and was extremely foggy. One of the resort workers ended up getting lost out on the lake Wednesday night (they found him Thursday evening alive). Thursday it turned extremely windy with snow and cold. Complete white out conditions on the lake and no resorts letting people out. Our buddy who was going to pull us out with his side by side bailed last second. No problem we can have the resort pull us out for a fee. Call them and they say they are not doing anything until Friday around noon due to the white out conditions. Awesome. We leave Thursday around 330pm. Big mistake.

We made it about 30 miles before the roads turned to an ice rink. Every road (even the major highways) were complete ice with 30-40mph winds. Trip that usually takes us 3 1/2 hours took us 6 1/2. Did not go over 40mph the entire way. 3 1/2 hours into our 6 1/2 hour trip we find out the resort we were going to pull us out was not pulling people out all weekend due to the lost worker and needing to regroup.

Make the decision to keep going instead of turning around. We always figure out a plan. Find out that there are friends of friends at a different resort that could pull our house out Friday once they are done. Awesome. Wake up Friday morning at 7am and coordinate to get our house on the ice. They have to bring 3 other houses out before ours. While waiting the resort posts that no more single axle houses are being allowed out due to slush at their access. That was it. Couldn't take anymore so we packed up and headed for home. Never even stepped on the ice.

In other news I did get out on a local lake last night. About 5 inches of ice. Marked a lot of fish but they did not want to cooperate. Caught 1 jumbo perch.

Plan to get out again maybe Thursday and then Sunday/Monday.

greatwhitehunter3 and Sota like this.
  10. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Yep it's time, I went to the local bait shop Saturday and dropped some $ to support the local shop. I always have to figure I an in the shop for at least a half hour because the owner likes to talk....alot.

11. greatwhitehunter3

greatwhitehunter3 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I've been wondering but didn't want to ask haha

MnHunterr likes this.
  12. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    So today is going to be my opener of the ice fishing season. Son in law was trying to get his POS auger to run yesterday so we could put out some tip ups. I hopped in the truck went to the local baitshop and bought a 40 volt strike master. My son in law was happy and the guy that owns the shop was very happy I bought it.

13. The Old Man

The Old Man Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Give a report on the strike master if you will. I still use a gas strike master Laser I bought in ‘92 but want to go battery this year and need some input.

Sota likes this.
  14. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Will do I will tell you this it isn't cheap, but it even has lights on the handle. forward and reverse.

15. greatwhitehunter3

greatwhitehunter3 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have an auger that I use with my makita hammer drill. I honestly think that's the way to go now days.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

16. Rowdyray

Rowdyray Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Like to hear what you say about the auger too. Power...battery life....They're starting to show up in the pawn shops. Doing research. Son is looking for one.

I was using an older Eskimo Stingray up until a couple years ago. Blew up on me. While deciding what to replace it with, I went to an ice fishing contest. Bought 3 auger raffle tickets (1/10.00, 3/25.00). I won! Never won anything in 56 years. Great way to start. A Jiffy 46 X-Treme propane auger. Complete with Ice Hogger shroud, full auger cover, power head cover, 12" extension, crankcase oil, ice dipper, stocking cap and bumper stickers. Still blown away.

Other than being heavy, have no complaints. No mixing gas, no gummed up carbs. Always starts. When it gets too heavy for me, I'll be looking into the electric options. Or maybe get an electric and give the Jiffy to my son. Not sure. Until then, I'll keep using it.

Ice has been a bit sketchy around the Metro area. That snowfall brought water up top and then it warmed up. But, mid week is supposed to be below zero. Next weekend there should be good ice anywhere. Normally fish the Chisago/Lindstrum area. But, like to fish a Metro lake the first time. Trial run. Nothing stinks more than driving 40 miles one way to find out you left a crucial piece of equipment at home. lol.

Sota likes this.
  17. Birdswacker

Birdswacker Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:

I mainly fish that area growing up there I have a good nose for where to go

18. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Did not fish today they did not make it over today but tomorrow it is on, I guess. Supposed to be able to drill 120 holes a day but it is all about the battery, factory says batteries last around 400 charges, supposed to be charged after each use. Also if the ice gets over 24" has to change the game.

19. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Well the Strikemaster drills holes real nice. We did not drill many holes have about 10" of ice, the castles will be on the lake this weekend I bet.

20. MnHunterr

Dislikes Received:
    Went to Mille Lacs with a friend yesterday before the storm. He got the new Strikemaster from his wife for Christmas. That thing is sweet. A bit heavier than I thought it would be but still real nice.

Caught 3 from 1-5 fishing the southwest side off the Publix access. About 10” of ice. Missed 2 really nice fish. Had a crack come through that shook the house, water came up the holes, and it sounded like someone shot a rifle right next to us. Never heard a crack do that before.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk