hoyt satori as my first recurve?

Discussion in 'Traditional Archery' started by dancingcat, Jan 7, 2021.

1. dancingcat

dancingcat Newb

Dislikes Received:
    BH community, with this season winding down I'm thinking of picking up my first recurve in Spring 2021, to practice in the range and maybe hunt with it next season if I get good enough in one year.

I now shoot Mathews VXR for compound, but they don't seem to offer recurves. How about Hoyt Satori? New to the recurve world, that is just the first one that I bumped into by web searching. Would I be happy with this bow as my first recurve? Any other suggestions? My budget is 1k.

Thanks all!

2. FatMan

FatMan Newb

Dislikes Received:
    You should buy one of the cheaper 25" target risers and just start shooting that. Set up a target bow with the ILF limbs, they interchange with a lot of bows ....they shoot awesome-

3. Sean Card

Sean Card Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Either go with a one piece or a non ILF limb.

Totally my 2 cents but starting on an ILF is too much tech and customization for a first bow when most people don’t even stick with it to understand how traditional bows work in the ways of tuning and shooting. Let alone hunt with them.

i’d say that for all the people that dabbled in traditional: 80% of the go back to the compound or become the “weekend warrior” that shoots at IBO shoots and the range, but never seems to break the bow out of the case when the season comes around.

Tred Barta said it best: “if you want to shoot traditional; put your compound on the driveway and run it over with your truck”

The black hunter is a popular one is see around. Reminds me of the Asbell Bighorns and Predator bows.

The only other piece of advice I can say is: get used to deer that are just too far out. If you’re just shooting whatever comes close, you’ll be fine. Trying to target a specific age class of buck can get beyond frustrating.

Feel free to pm me if you really want to get into the details. I’m pretty busy at the moment but I’ll try to keep my eyes on my inbox

Last edited: Nov 22, 2021
    HJC84 likes this.
  4. tracker1

tracker1 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I just started a couple of years ago with a cheap but functional Samick Sage, after I knew I was hooked a year later I went with an ILF and it was the best thing for me but I knew what I wanted. I sure wouldn’t be looking at a Satori or other high dollar bow until you put some time in.
    I started out with recurves many years ago before I got into compounds so I had an idea of what I was getting into.
    Traditional archery is very challenging and starting out very demanding, nothing like compounds. But it is so much more fun than a compound and the thrill shooting a deer with one can’t be beat.

HJC84 likes this.
Tags: