Calling in whitetails? Snort-Wheeze?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Owen Darrow, Dec 20, 2021.

1. Owen Darrow

Owen Darrow Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I've been messing around with calling in whitetails with a snort wheeze a little this year and was wondering if any of you have done the same? I'm not using a store bought one but just doing it with my breath

The first time I tried it I had a little buck come through on a trail out of range and not a shooter so I thought why not give it a try. I let out a high pitched snort wheeze and the little buck jumped into the air like he was scared out of his mind but after I let out another one he settled down and came into me with purpose ending up under my stand at ten yards....he was directly under me.

The second time I gave this a try was yesterday from another stand when I had a doe come though and bed down around at around 50 yds in the rain and on an adjacent property that I can't hunt. Because of the rain I though she wasn't likely to move and I was about to get out of there being soaking wet from the rain. I let out a snort wheeze and she turned her head, stood up and wandered towards me in a nonchalant manner. I think that if the fence wasn't there she would have come all the way in.

What I have gathered is that this works better in thicker brush were their view is abstracted so that they have to move in closer and that they think another deer could be concealed and not clearly visible. In any case I was curious as to your thoughts and how you have used this tactic to bring deer in. Thanks!

2. 0317

0317 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have seen even small bucks snort/wheeze along with several large bucks ... it can be a warning. intimidation or used in frustration chasing a doe along with the 'bawl' which Ive seen/heard done twice by large bucks ..... I use Doe bleats, 'bawls' and SW all in combo during the rut ... ive called in several bucks and a few nice ones doing so .. The Madd Growl is one I use and does a decent SW, but I can also do a good one with my mouth

3. bowhunt4abuck

bowhunt4abuck Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    The last buck I killed I called in like that with my mouth. Gotta be careful though if there is a dominant buck in the area and it's not the deer your calling at it could turn tail and get out.

Dungfungwow and Owen Darrow like this.
  4. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Possible responses to the snort wheeze:

1 . 25% Nope, see ya later!
    2. 25% Who cares?
    3. 25% What the hell was that? I must investigate.
    4. 25% Oh you want to fight, let's do this!

The snort wheeze only means one thing in deer talk that I am aware of. "I am pissed and we are going to rumble!"

With that said, testosterone levels in bucks are very low this time of year as most the bucks have already grouped back up into bachelor groups. So there is a 98% its going to be response 1 or 2, 1.5% on response number 3. and a 0.1% chance on 4. 0.4% something else happens... :p

This is a last ditch effort call for me to try to make something happen that isn't unless I try something, anything.

Unfortunately, this time of year you are better off hunting food sources. Sit still, be quiet and patient, very patient.

cantexian and Shocker99 like this.
  5. Owen Darrow

Owen Darrow Newb

Dislikes Received:
    For some reason I think that different times of the year it means different things...right now it se
    I'm starting to think it depends on the season and whether they are single or running in a group....running single out of the rut 9/10 they will investigate.

6. 0317

0317 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    could also depend on herd age stucture and buck to doe ratio ... deer are more vocal than one may think... generally, just dont over do it calling, however there will be times where more is needed ... ..

Owen Darrow likes this.
  7. Sean Card

Sean Card Newb

Dislikes Received:
    How many of you remember these old MAD grunt tubes that cane with a audio cassette on how to call? I actually still use the exact same call to this day.

I have only once had a response to a snort wheeze. 1 1/2 year old buck going down a trail that crossed me left to right 70 yards out. I gave two grunts and a snort wheeze. The buck stopped, responded with a snort wheeze, did a 180 and went back to where he came from.

i would say from my experience
    80-85% ignore the snort wheeze
    10-15% bolt
    2-5% actually respond from lukewarm to well

I think the grunt used properly is a much more effective call, and I’m still learning myself at how be be effective.

i do think if you have a higher buck to doe ratio, you’ll see better results. Areas that respond well to rattling probably would work well to snort wheezes. My area does not respond well to either.

Attached Files:

8. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Its very situational. Just like picking a fight with some guy, if hes not aggressive or a fraidy cat or just got his butt whipped, hes not going to respond in a good way. Its a gamble and a roll of the dice. Ive seen it work and seen it send them to the next county. Even an aggressive buck might just not be in the mood to fight. Its a trick up the sleeve that may work. Just like switching lures while fishing. They may bite they may not. Time of season depends as well. I doubt a worn out rutted down buck in january is going to be ready to scrap like he was 2 months prior.

9. muzzyman88

muzzyman88 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I use it quite a bit. As someone else mentioned, its situational and like any calling, has to be done smartly. I've actually learned a lot in recent years about calling and its making it more effective for me. One thing I always did wrong was grunt at a deer too softly many times and just assume the deer ignored it and wasn't interested when in fact he did not hear it. So I start low and keep building volume and more often than not, he will at least stop and look, telling you he heard it at least. Then he'll turn and walk away.. lol.

One of the biggest factors in calling is your setup. Open hardwoods is very hard to call deer to you in my opinion. They can see too far and will just stop and look for the source, then move on. If you have terrain features, thick stuff, etc., it makes it better because if the deer really wants to know what he just heard, he almost has to cut the distance to find the source. I have as stand that is on a tiny little low running ridge finger. I can see quite a ways down on both sides of the ridge and see the deer. Calling to them, I'd say there is a 60% chance you will call that deer to your lap because they can't see over the hump and come up to investigate. Pretty fun spot.

Snort wheeze I use quite a bit, ESPECIALLY in the midwest. I don't know what their deal is out there, maybe more competition, etc., but they seem to respond way more often to it. We often joke about it out there that we don't need a grunt call at all when we go to the tree.

10. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    I've had good luck with snort-wheezing over the years. I typically use it on bucks who aren't responding to grunts first. When it comes to calling at a buck during the rut, you're essentially trying to pick a fight with him. Depending on his mood it may not take much - just some soft grunting. If that doesn't work, try grunting louder. As muzzyman said - he may not have heard it. If he looks but doesn't respond, then I go to the snort-wheeze. If that doesn't piss him off, then he's got other things on his mind.

I've heard a lot of bucks snort wheeze through the years, and it doesn't sound much like what comes out of those hollow plastic tubes that call companies sell. It always do it with my mouth, and usually go with a single, long wheeze rather than the "fff---fff---fffffffffffff" that most people seem to do. It's served me well.

Dungfungwow likes this.
  11. muzzyman88

Dislikes Received:
    And don't forget to spit and slobber all over yourself when you do it... for that little extra realism... haha. Maybe thats just me though..

12. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    I thought that was a given.

[​IMG]

muzzyman88 likes this.
  13. MuzzyZ3

MuzzyZ3 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I use The Can a few times, followed by grunt, then snort wheeze. It brings in the bucks for sure. Big and small. It simulates a doe in heat and a buck with her. I use when I am not seeing deer. If a buck is close by will come to investigate or challenge.

14. Brian Walters

Brian Walters Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    [​IMG]

muzzyman88 likes this.
  15. Grouch

Grouch Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    How many hunters have actually heard a snort wheeze or a buck roar ? Not many I am sure, I have bow hunted 54 years, only heard snort wheeze 2 times, a buck roar once, to my experience these calls are absolutely worthless for most hunters, snort wheeze is an aggressive call, made by testosterone laden bucks, anything smaller or does will either hide or escape, most mature bucks at this time are more interested in does, not more fighting ! Now to the roar, I was sitting on a small oak ridge, surrounded by swamp and or bedding area,s. I had 4 does of various sizes on this ridge, also a small 6 point buck, the buck was trying to get to know the does, All of a sudden I hear this god awful roar ! It really caught my attention, didn't know at first what it was, then it roared again, I could not quite see the buck but could see sapling moving ! I looked over the deer on ridge to see there reactions, they all were cowering and shaking, all were statue still, The bigbuck roared one more time, I got out my grunt tube, all I had, let out a very loud grunt, the buck roared again then slowly moved off, the small buck on the ridge looked like it woud pee its pants, the does were still; shaking, so in my opinion, if you wish to scare away irtually 99 % of deer in your area, then use either, if you wish to see calm deer do not use either

Sean Card likes this.
  16. muzzyman88

Dislikes Received:
    Something that is strange is that I've heard bucks snort wheeze more in the last 10 years than at any other time in my 30 years of bow hunting. I think improved age structures and competitiveness is better now than ever and leading to more competition and agressiveness from bucks. That said, I've heard it far more by midwest deer than deer in PA. In PA, i've probably heard it 4-5 times in my lifetime. Midwest probably 2-3 times in the last 10 years I've hunted out there. Now me using it to get a bucks attention and commit, it flat out works for me and I'm fully confident in using it. Not every deer of course as you always stand the chance of spooking him out of there. But I won't hesitate to use it if they don't commit to a grunt first.

Buck Roar. I have heard it one time in my life and it was the craziest thing I've ever witnessed. Two giant mature bucks had a doe pinned and were competing to breed her. One of them was getting so frustrated and worked up over the ordeal he let out a series of deep grunts followed by a roar. Both bucks then proceeded to pick the doe up off the ground with their horns as she kept trying to lay down. It was incredibly violent and honestly disturbing to watch. She got away from them a bit and they followed her into the abyss. Single neatest thing I've ever witnessed.

Shocker99 likes this.
  17. Grouch

Grouch Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    very nice information added MUZZYMAN88, I appreciate informed comments, I am glad to have another that actually heard a buck roar, Plus you actually saw the doe ! Must have been amazing

18. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Ive heard bucks snort wheeze and roar. At least a handful of times ive heard the snort wheeze. One time in particular the buck was 10 yds from my tree. It made the hair on the back of my neck stand up. He let out 2 of them as he stared at another buck who was on a doe. He then took off in the direction the buck and doe went which was out of view. Then i heard it again in the distance. Ill never forget that. I can only imagine what its like hearing a bull elk bugle at 10 or 20 yds.

The buck roar that i heard was actually followed by a full on scrap. A young buck (that i ended up shooting because he just so happened to be the one to run towards me) was dogging a doe in some high grass. I had watched a really big buck hop a fence in the same area and disappear in the grass. I thought he was long gone. As i lost sight of the deer i all of the sudden heard it. I knew what it was cause i had one of those MAD Growl calls back in the day. About a minute later i heard 2 bucks fighting. It didnt last long then i saw the loser running my way lol.

19. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I rarely call. BUT it is typically reserved for trying to get an already spotted buck I desire to shoot turned around and snort wheeze is one of the best to do it...but again I rarely call, and not ever shooter that slipped by is going to hear me broadcast noise either.

20. Dungfungwow

Dungfungwow Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I’m in the northeast and called a nice 8 point in with a a few snort wheezes made with my mouth
    to my decoy this year. He was about 150 yards out and wasn’t responding to the grunts. He would look my way but didn’t commit. Once I let out a snort wheeze he started coming my way. After two more he made it over the hill to see the decoy. 50 yards I let out one more and he committed to the fight and I shot him at 30. I’ve had it work the other way and snort wheezed and they have run the opposite direction. For me I use it as a last option when they don’t respond to the grunt or can. I’ve never had any luck rattling on that property. But I have been snort wheezed at by bucks a few different times walking in when it’s dark.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk