If they could talk.

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Vabowman, Dec 15, 2021.

1. Vabowman

Vabowman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Ever walk through your woods and come across old broken down wooden treestands? I see a few here and there and I always stop and look up and say to myself, "if that stand could talk, wonder what stories it could tell" Maybe none, but the old timers would likely not invest the labor and time to build one in a bad spot. I think I will take some pics next time I come up on one..and if I was smart, climb a tree beside and hunt!

2. Tink-a-Link

Tink-a-Link Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Go to themeateater.com and check out their ****** up old deer stand calendar!

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2021
  3. Suncrest08

Suncrest08 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    There’s also an old stand thread around here somewhere, I know I built some in the past and I still hunt next to em with great luck. When scouting and see an old stand I typically hang cams in the area bc it just looks like a good spot, them old timers had it figured out too.

alenhard15 likes this.
  4. 0317

0317 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I hunt state land now, the place is littered with old wooden stands and some old portables now embedded in oaks until they rust away ... I look at some of those and wonder, why here, what did they see I dont .. some locations I have no idea why anyone would put a stand there ... stands are not suppose to be left up after the season ends, but yet .. smh ... every year I find stands left up ... I'm glad I backpack my LW in/out every hunt now, I had several portable stands stolen before that (locked up and no steps left), I feel another didnt want me encroaching in a particular area ("their spot"), they put effort in to take 'em and it was during the season too... I always took my stands down prior to the date specified in the regs ... I others would do the same and quit trying to hog a location ...

5. Suncrest08

Suncrest08 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I’ve had people try to lay claim to spots on public, some people are rational, others should be avoided. I’ve had my tree I was hunting cut down before with my stand in it lol. A lot of people spend too much energy in negative ways , when they should be using it in a positive way. Such is life, there’s deer all over. I’ve moved parcels so many times to get away from people. Just bc there’s an old stand in a location doesn’t mean it’s good either!

blackbear and Shocker99 like this.
  6. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    There's one at the property I hunt that my uncle used. Never got the opportunity to ask him about it. All that's left is a few 2x4's nailed to it as steps. It's a mature oak right on the edge of the 4 wheeler trail and pretty thick where I am guessing it was set up for. I want to take my lonewolf one day and climb it to see if it is huntable or not. Be a lot of work to try to open it up for shot ops.

7. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    So true. Dan infalt just mentioned this in one of his latest videos. More hunters is a good thing. Everyone worries about declining hunter numbers until they see trucks in the parking lot. You can either cuss about it, Get mad (at people who you probably have alot in common with), or use it to your advantage. Go where no one else is. Get out there earlier and have them push deer to you. Its not always a bad thing. What really irks me though are the people who leave their trash and cigarette buts all over the woods and parking lot. Have some respect!!! :tu:

0317 and Suncrest08 like this.
  8. 0317

0317 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Ive always said, to me a good day hunting isnt whether I kill, but when I dont hear, see nor smell another human ...

Shocker99 likes this.