For the mechanical guys

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Vabowman, Dec 8, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I struggled so bad for many many years when I first started hunting. To this day just seeing a deer is a real treat. Not sure why I felt the need to say that on this thread. Shoot mechanicals. Cool. Shoot fixed. Cool.

jonderrs7, Sota and Vabowman like this.
  2. Vabowman

Vabowman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Trying to stay on topic, most mech heads do a bunch of damage whether they are 1.5" or 2.3" cut. I think , and only from my hunting experience, that a 2' Rage 2 blade is hard to beat. Now I have killed one or two deer with a 3 blade Rage and I do like the idea of a hole like that vs a slice. Has anyone here tried the Deadmeat or Megameats? Does anyone prefer 3 blade over 2 blade heads?

3. Rick James

Rick James Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    My thought pretty much mirror what has already been said by Justin. I would consider a fixed blade though if I were hunting elk or other larger animals. For turkeys and whitetails though I’m thrilled with the XXX.

One additional thought. With Rage/Killzone style heads, there is often a single pin that is roughly 1/8” diameter holding the entire blade assembly in the ferrule. I had a bad hit on a deer years ago that hit heavy bone structure and sheared that pin causing me to lose both blades. I ended up losing a world class deer that day over it. I’ve been shooting over the top style heads ever since.

4. bowhuntersteve

bowhuntersteve Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Respecting the op and no comments are fixed vs expandable. Whatever the broadhead damage is more about location of the damage.

The best advice for bow hunters is from uncle Clint
    A man’s got to know his limitations.

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

5. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    So I have a couple good friends that are dog trackers and both swear by only fixed heads BUT the one guy took it a step further. Guys that let him he makes notes of their arrow weights and while the majority of failed or miserable tracks that end in failure or two days later he says are mechanicals nearly all of them are light arrow builds.

He had a very interesting take on arrows and heads. He said “If you want to shoot light arrows, you have to go fixed heads - because the head is getting very little help with punching power. BUT if you go heavy arrows or “adult” arrows (as he quoted ranch fairy lingo) on deer it won’t matter one bit because deer scapulas/shoulder stand no chance either way most likely.

Sota likes this.
  6. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Every component of the set up needs to be pondered, Adult arrows is a good description, an arrow, draw weight, and KE for if things do not go according to plan, that does not mean a set up allows you to take borderline shots but helps when things are not perfect. I am an old man I know it is more important to hit hard instead of fast:biggrin:

tynimiller likes this.
  7. bhod87

bhod87 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    This has been an entertaining thread, to say the least. :chewy:

I mentioned earlier I am shooting Sevrs... but another brand that I am dabbling in is Wasp. Of all the broadheads that I have ever handled; they come the sharpest from the factory. Absolutely scary sharp.

8. jonderrs7

jonderrs7 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    It's always fun reading Sota/BnB interactions LOL

INbowhunter and Sota like this.
  9. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Fixed vs mechanical. Sorry not sorry.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2021
    jonderrs7 likes this.
  10. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    John Jeananney once told me while we were handling dogs to together on wounded deer that he thought mechanical broadheads should be illegal . Though I disagreed with him it was hard to argue with a guy that pretty much founded blood tracking dogs in the United States and had well over a thousand documented tracts at the time. He kept meticulous notes on each track. Years later and many hundreds of tracks later I asked him if he changed his mind about them and told me that if anything he felt stronger that they shouldn’t be used.

11. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Forming an opinion without data is reckless, so many people with an opinion do not ask questions. There are millions of mechanicals in the field each year you need to ask questions, people who claim many thousands need to do the math about accuracy many thousands would take many years. Is it opinion or facts.

12. trial153

Dislikes Received:
    Who are you claiming didn’t have data?

13. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Real data or opinion ?

14. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I can take biased notes based on my opinion all day long, there are millions of examples of mechanicals doing the job, if you don't agree I am sure you can find opinion or "data" to support your argument.

15. trial153

Dislikes Received:
    John had more data on blood trailing wounded game in one year then you or I would would a mass in 20 years. You talking about the person that pretty much single handily was responsible for the legalization of leashed tracking dogs in the United States. You might want to google him before you spout off about someone that you don’t know anything about

16. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I can also get any lawyer to agree with me as long as I pay the retainer.

17. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Did he ask arrow weight, did he ask about estimated KE with the arrow and bow set up? Key factor vs results from a shot that did not go well

18. trial153

Dislikes Received:
    The funny thing is your proving him right. None of that is factor with a fixed blade head. An old fart with 45 pound stick bow and coc head has plenty of bow and momentum to kill just about any animal on four legs.
    I would almost guarantee in most years he took more tracks with his dogs then the number of deer you would kill in a couple decades…maybe your life

19. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Your bias is evident no matter how you want to quote it, claim superiority yet there are million of cases every season contrary to your opinion.

20. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Bet for $350 an hour your opinion would change.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.