***Official Live From the Stand Thread 2021

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Swamp Stalker, Jun 22, 2021.

1. picman

picman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Saw a couple fawns

2. LittleChief

LittleChief Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks Tony!

Tony likes this.
  3. LittleChief

Dislikes Received:
    I don’t even want the tenderloins out of a gut shot deer. They stink and I have no interest in finding out how they taste after marinating in deer gut soup.

cantexian, Tony and foodplot19 like this.
  4. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
  5. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Mod-it, tdk5525 and vermontwhitetail like this.
  6. vermontwhitetail

vermontwhitetail Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm set up on the ground. Deer are either middle of the day or middle of the night cause they sure aren't early or late. Same 40acre wild apple orchard I've been at. Lots of tracks and Buck rubs. Good luck anyone who's out. After today I'll be out with the kids and muzzleloaders trying to get them a deer over the weekend. Then Monday to Wednesday end of day archery hunts to close out the VT season.

7. slecken

slecken Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck.

vermontwhitetail likes this.
  8. MnHunterr

MnHunterr Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
  9. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Shows he was on yesterday, can't recall exactly, but think he had a lot of school interference and trying to get back out for late season.

@pastorjim08 been MIA as well, but still lurking around. Hopefully kicking Covids arse

LittleChief likes this.
  10. Tink-a-Link

Tink-a-Link Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    So I've been analyzing what went wrong yesterday...
    Long story that occurred yesterday morning: had a doe standing broadside at about 20 yards (a normal chip shot), shooting through some taller grass. I saw her coming in and had time to get prepped and ready for the shot. I was seated on the ground tucked under a pine tree sitting behind it for cover, upon seeing the deer approaching, I knelt down on the ground to be able to move with the deer to stay in cover behind the tree base. The strange part was that it took me 3 attempts to get drawn, I never thought I'd have problems drawing from a kneeling position, but I was wrong. Shooting through the grass was also something I've not practiced before either, but that was the reason I've shifted to a heavier setup(both arrow weight and draw weight). I know I'm sighted properly so that wasn't the root cause. I shot low, or at least that's my assumption because I didn't find the arrow as it buried itself in the reeds/cattails somewhere. I found no blood at the site, but based on my buck from earlier this year, that didn't stop me from looking further along the path in the snow. I tracked for about 150 yards on several fresh sets of tracks through the snow and found nothing.
    Obviously, not bring there, you fellas can't give me to much insight on what went wrong, but any advice beyond practicing from a kneeling position would be appreciated and shooting through light brush. Have any of you been in a similar position before?
    Thanks in advance folks.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

tdk5525 likes this.
  11. LittleChief

Dislikes Received:
    I'm kind of curious as to what the temperature was. The only time I've ever had trouble drawing my bow on a deer is after sitting in cold weather for a long time.

As to the issue of what we have to assume is a miss, in my opinion it's one of two things. If you don't practice from a kneeling position that could be the problem, but I don't think so in this case.

You said you took the shot through grass. What kind of grass and was it closer to the deer or you? In my experience shooting through ANYTHING, even light grass can alter arrow trajectory even with a heavy set up. You said it was tall grass. If your arrow hit one of the stalks it could have easily caused it to deflect.

tdk5525 and vermontwhitetail like this.
  12. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Mmmm, I can't outrun any of those critters.

13. Tink-a-Link

Tink-a-Link Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    It was far closer to the deer, the trail they were walking on was directly adjacent to the grass. As for the type of grass, basically CRP grass that grows about waist height. The temp was hovering right around freezing, probably 27° or so. So not brutally cold, but certainly not warm by any means, of which I had been sitting in for about 3-3.5 hours at that point. I've had no problem drawing my bow back with the increase in draw weight as I've been practicing for the past month; so I didn't think I'd have any problems despite various shooting positions.
    I'm going to make a point of shooting through various things this summer to figure out just how much different grasses and small twigs will defect an arrow. It's also possible I was just aimed to low...
    If I would have been able to draw on my first attempt, I would have been able to shoot before they got behind the grass.
    Later on, whilst standing, I drew back without strain or doing the "sky draw." That was after walking/tracking so I was warmer than at the time of the shot.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

tdk5525 and LittleChief like this.
  14. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    My season for myself is officially over. Just went and picked up my deer from Nov. 9th and I have absolutely zero freezer space left.

I actually had to toss chit I bought for the smoker/grill and never used. 2 8lb pork butts, a slab of ribs, 10lbs of brats and italian sausage(bulk buy and literally was packaged in a clear plastic bag). Also threw out about 15lbs of gator meat and 4lbs of deer meat that the seal had busted on.

I've got to get the deer jerky going with a quickness to get a little more breathing room.

Under a strong tornado threat here overnight, that's the last thing I need to happen is a power outage.

tdk5525 and OkieArrowSlinger like this.
  15. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    true, but few hunt those parts of the country alone. You only have to be faster than you buddy. :lmao2:

tdk5525 likes this.
  16. LittleChief

Dislikes Received:
    Sitting in the cold not moving for three hours and trying to draw from a position you're not accustomed to could easily explain why you had trouble drawing.

It's very possible it was just shooting from a position you're not accustomed to that made you shoot low.

I sure wish I knew the reasons for all of the misses I've racked up over the years. :lol:

vermontwhitetail likes this.
  17. LittleChief

Dislikes Received:
    :eek2:
    This is bordering on heresy.

I'd have almost made the drive there for that. :lol:

airenlow and vermontwhitetail like this.
  18. LittleChief

Dislikes Received:
    Unless you're a halfway decent runner you can't out run a gator either.

19. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Well, the pork butts were 2 and 3 years old, the brats and italian sausage I bought in a grillers bundle from local meat market during the big Covid meat scare. They were literally mixed together in the same clear garabage bag and the gator meat was several years old as well, actually forgot I had it :lol:

The worst one was a couple years ago when something shifted in the upright and knocked the door open. Went down for something and the floor was wet and noticed it. Think I threw out about 65lbs of meat that time. Lots of deer, a 22lb Korntop ham, 20+ lbs of lake trout, coho and king salmon....

20. LittleChief

Dislikes Received:
    It's like I've always heard. When you're hunting with someone the best weapon for protection from predators is a compact .22 in your pocket.

One shot to the knee and you can for sure outrun your buddy. :poke:

tdk5525, dmax4me, FEB and 3 others like this.