NAP Killzone Maxx

Discussion in 'Equipment Reviews' started by Vols5151, Dec 5, 2021.

1. Vols5151

Vols5151 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    IMG_1163.JPG IMG_1161.JPG IMG_1160.JPG

Curious if any of y’all have used this broadhead? They’ve been on the market for a while now. I’ve killed 3 deer with them and the results have been pretty astounding. The cutting diameter is overkill in my opinion but I’d be lying if I said they weren’t fun to see in action. Fly straight and hit hard. Massive blood trails.

Like all mechanicals though hard to get a complete pass through. Only one of the 3 kills went all the way through.

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

2. bowhuntersteve

bowhuntersteve Newb

Dislikes Received:
  3. Vols5151

Vols5151 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    The second picture with the doe on the truck bed was a complete pass through. She was at 7 or 8 yards quartered away. Shot went in the top of the back and out of the front right shoulder low at the level of the heart.

The other two were heart shots broadside at 15 and 20 yards. On both, you could see the tip of the broadhead sticking out the opposite side but the arrow stayed in the animal.

4. Planopurist

Planopurist Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I use to shoot them. They’re a good head, sharp out of the box and fly well. I got good results on most shots. I was only shooting 60 lbs, but I only got poor penetration on a high shoulder once. I started seeing runout quality issues. Have you tried ****’s Sporting Goods? If you are still looking for them, I may have some I could sell you. Let me know.

I switched to the Sevr because of its features - titanium ferrule, practice mode, and pivoting blades. I really like those. https://www.sevrbroadheads.com/?ref=80

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vols5151 likes this.
  5. Vols5151

Vols5151 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Not in the market for any now but I appreciate it. Was just curious about other peoples experience with them.

Those sevr heads look badass though. Seem to be much more durable.

Planopurist likes this.
  6. Planopurist

Dislikes Received:
    Sevrs are the real deal. I have only had to replace blades so far. The ferrule is stout. They sell them individually so you can buy as many or few as you need.

7. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    I shot the buck in my profile photo with a KZ Maxx last year. Like you, I did not get a complete pass-through, but I almost cut his heart in half and he died in 50 yards. Hard to argue with those results and the blood trail was so good my 8 year old could follow it.

I've seen quite a few deer get shot with the KZ Maxx and every one of them has left a hell of a wound. The only gripe is that they're pretty much a one-and-done broadhead. Even if you wanted to sharpen the blades and use them again, the ferrule is usually bent from the impact. It doesn't affect performance, but it's something to note.

Personally, I prefer an "over-the-top" style broadhead like a Spitfire as I feel they get much better penetration. The entry hole is usually about the size of a standard fixed blade, and since the blades don't fully deploy until it's inside the animal you retain a lot more momentum. They blow through soft tissue and leave pretty ridiculous exit wounds. I've shot at least a dozen deer with them and have gotten a pass-through on all but 1 shot.

Heart from the buck I shot last year with a Killzone Maxx.

IMG_4662.JPG
    Entry hold on the buck Todd shot last year. I could easily fit 4 fingers into it.

todd-buck-entry.png

Vols5151 likes this.
  8. Vols5151

Vols5151 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    That’s awesome. I hear you on the one-and-done thing though. Not a very durable head.

And I don’t doubt the spitfire is great. NAP seems to have solid products. I wouldn’t mind trying some of their fixed blades too.

9. Planopurist

Dislikes Received:
    Correction: I used to shoot the “Spitfire” Maxx, not Killzone. My bad.

Vols5151 likes this.
  10. Robert Lowe

Robert Lowe Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I love my Spitfire Maxx's

11. Brian Walters

Brian Walters Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Isn’t that more typically due to the setup not being the best for your mechanical if you’re not getting pass throughs?

12. Vols5151

Vols5151 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Certainly a possibility, however, I feel like my bow setup is good for these heads. I shoot a hoyt nitrum 30 at 70lbs and have a 27.5 inch draw length. My arrows are 490 grains and my fps is estimated to be around 255. My bow is tuned well and like most mechanicals, the killzones fly like field points.

These heads have such a wide cutting diameter and cut so much tissue I think they meet much more resistance as it travels through the deer when compared to a smaller diameter head. That’s my guess at least. Regardless, a devastating broadhead.

I plan on buying the spitfire this year and also would like to try out a fixed head that I haven’t used before.

Unlike most, I enjoy mechanicals and fixed as both have their advantages and disadvantages.

What do you shoot?

13. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    FYI, Cabelas/Bass Pro has the SpitFires on sale for $25 right now. That's a good deal.

Vols5151 likes this.
  14. dgable

dgable Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I shot these a couple years ago. Whacked a couple deer with them and always got passthroughs. My closest buck to date actually rubbed on the bottom of my ladder stand and I shot him top down at 16ft with the KZ maxx. I always saw them as an improved rage and I never had any opening issues with any of the deer I shot. I only went back to fixed heads for peace of mind but if I had to choose a mechanical again both of the KZs would be on my list.

Vols5151 likes this.