Team 9 - Tag & Drag

Discussion in '2021 Deer Contest' started by Holt, Aug 30, 2021.

1. gltomp

gltomp Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Outstanding... love that toothless smile.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

sknox8 likes this.
  2. fowcbler

fowcbler Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Awesome awesome. Congrats!

sknox8 likes this.
  3. archbunk

archbunk Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Nice buck! Congrats

sknox8 likes this.
  4. vanfossen

vanfossen Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats!

Mathews HTR, Sword 5 pin, Truball release, Goldtip XT hunter 300, QAD 125 gr Swept, QAD rest

sknox8 likes this.
  5. fowcbler

fowcbler Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    So I was fortunate enough to sit a new spot this morning. My brother-in-laws boss is a fellow bow hunter and unfortunately he hasnt got to hunt as much as he would like. He lost a buck earlier in the season from hitting it in the throat, so thinking he may just be having hard time getting over that.
    Anyway, he let me sit his spot this morning and again tomorrow morning. I wasn't hopeful at all this morning because it was supposed to be super windy. Turns out, it was not. I had some decent deer activity, but it was all before legal light...well before legal light. Couldnt hardly make out if the 2 i saw were buck or doe, but 1 of them I am almost positive was a buck because of its bark/wheeze call. It was hollering at a doe that got itself stuck in a hog trap. (this is where story gets a little disheartening).
    Apparently the guys dad setup some hog traps and didn't tie the gates open and since it had corn in it, wondering doe found its way in and trapped itself. That doe caused quite a racket, and yet those 2 deer still came in. The one that barked at it seemed pretty pissed, and after about 5 minutes of yelling and pacing, it bolted right passed blind i was in not 5 feet in front of me.
    Had to call my brother in law out there, and he put the doe down. It had mutilated its face against the cage. Broken skull was sticking out above bridge of nose, one eye was gouged up and closed, and its lower mouth/lip meat was just hanging off (could see its lower jaw and teeth). Wasn't exactly the excitement i was looking for this trip, but at least I know there is some good activity out there.
    Tomorrow is supposed to be much cooler in the morning, and there is a 15 foot Bow Tripod setup out there next to the blind that hides the sitter among the top of the brush that is out there. Going to sit that instead to give myself more angles to shoot from, so if something walks up, I am not limited to the line of sight of the Blind. Down fall to this will be my scent being alot more exposed. Hopefully the cover scent, and doe estrus scent are enough to keep me covered.

Holt and Christopher Jay like this.
  6. Rjhart12pt

Rjhart12pt Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I got in about 3 tonight. Had 3 does come by around 4:30. The wide 9 came in at 25yards through some thick brush and stayed in there for about 10 minutes. I think one of the does winded me and took off. The other 2 followed. The buck just stood there for another 5 minutes then turned and walked away from me. About 15 minutes later the 3 does came back through, but no buck this time. Try to get back out Sunday.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

sknox8, Holt and Christopher Jay like this.
  7. fowcbler

fowcbler Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Well I am back at work. Did not get anything the week I was out.
    Alot more to story than just not getting anything, but I did at least have 1 opportunity, and it was from that Tripod I mentioned. However, it was a bit more exposed than I initially thought, and when I went to pull bow back, the small 8 point I had in line of sight saw me move, spooked and took off.
    Oh well...might get one more smaller opportunity super late season around New Years, but more than likely that was end of my hunt season.

sknox8 likes this.
  8. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Well you still had a great season with that monster buck you shoot. Hopefully you get one more shot before the end of season. Try and learn from every sit. Watch the deer and how they react and there behavior, and don't believe all you read on the Internet. Your best way to grow as a hunter is to just experience it your self. You had one Hell of a season.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

gltomp and sknox8 like this.
  9. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    We are going to get knocked out of te lead by a couple teams once there deer are checked in. We are going to need a couple more bucks and does just to stay competitive.

Any one got some great late season plans?

I've had some unbelievable hunts in the late season when everyone gives up. Excellent time to get out and get that last deer!

gltomp and Christopher Jay like this.
  10. fowcbler

fowcbler Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Honestly, that is exactly what I want to do. I have always learned best from hands on anyway.
    Yes it was exciting, and even just watching deer from the stand is pretty exhilarating. I also now understand why people take breaks between sits LOL. After 3 days in a row or dang near non-stop sitting and not seeing anything, it can be pretty disheartening. Really learn alot about yourself through it all too.
    I do hope that last little snippet of the year brings in another opportunity, just not too sure it will be on the property I got that bruiser.
    I am already in search of property to try and buy for future use, but I will more than likely have to rely on Draw Hunts and Public Land Hunts in the next few years. The downside to PLH will be how far they are from me. Nearest one I could find is good 2+ hr drive. But I will worry about next year when it gets here.

gltomp and Holt like this.
  11. sknox8

sknox8 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Well gun season has come and gone. Were some good bucks in the area shot. Will have to keep running cams after the dust settles a bit. Hope to find a buck go go after. Including my buck there were 3 of the bigger ones I had on cam were harvested. But the big one I hit made it through as far as I know. I one neighbor had a pic of him a week ago during the night. Hope to be able to get out a few more time for late season.

Christopher Jay, gltomp and Holt like this.
  12. gltomp

gltomp Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Well this thread came to a screeching halt. I was hoping to get out tomorrow, with the Xbow, but I overdid yesterday. From all things, taking the misses to a doctor appointment and then grocery shopping. Bursitis bulge swelled and pain came back this morning. Been laying low today taking meds and resting it.
    So... hoping I can get out next week and contribute to our score!

Holt likes this.
  13. Rjhart12pt

Rjhart12pt Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've been sitting out gun season. It gets crazy around me. Lead flying all over the place. I know one of the bucks I was after was shot Monday morning. Will go out next week and check my cards to see if any stayed around the property. Usually it seems when one goes, a new one shows up. 20211006_153915.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

gltomp and Holt like this.
  14. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Keep at it guys! Not out yet still 2 months left.

I got out this evening. It's rifle season, but took the bow. I just enjoy the hunt more. Had 3 does come out too far out. So decided to break down my stand and put a stalk on. Got to with in 35 yards before they walked off. Just another 5 yards and I would have taken a shot. Until next time. I want 1 more deer for the year, so I'm just having fun with my hunts. Might try a few more ground hunts before the end of season.

gltomp and Christopher Jay like this.
  15. Christopher Jay

Christopher Jay Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Taking my twins out for their first deer hunt tomorrow. Just sitting in a ground blind with my dad. Gun season here and will have the shotgun with but realistically just trying to get them out there with them! Good luck all!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gltomp likes this.
  16. gltomp

gltomp Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    A day they will remember for a long time... :clap:

Holt likes this.
  17. Christopher Jay

Christopher Jay Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    We will for sure. Gonna burn it in my memory!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Holt and gltomp like this.
  18. fowcbler

fowcbler Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I am hopeful I can get my oldest out with me on at least 1 hunt.
    Probably load up the xbow for him, and if something rolls in let him take the shot. He doesn't seem to have the same excitement his younger brothers do though when I talk about hunting and bow shooting though, so don't want to force it either.
    Heck, I might even try and get him out on my last sit, but he is not a fan of cold weather, like at all. So it might end up being more torturous for him than anything right now.

19. gltomp

gltomp Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Do you think he would be receptive to sitting in a ground blind with a little heater in it? If that's out due to $$$ constraints, how about having him sit in a sleeping bag or wrapped up in an old blanket? The 1st time I took our son out was fun. After he got antsy I went for a 50-yard walk with him. I found a young sapling and tied my handkerchief to it. We then walked back to our hunting spot. The next time he got restless, I asked him if he wanted to have some fun. I told him to run down to the marked tree while hollering 'AAAAAAA' all the way there and then to shake the heck out of it for a minute while hollering. Then after, run back to me and sit very quietly... 'cuz it may get interesting. He did. Then, about 5 minutes afterward, a spike appeared... followed by a monster! He got so excited he started screaming, "Dad, look at the deer!" Never got a shot... but it was one of the best days I ever had hunting with my son. I miss that kid.

Rjhart12pt and Heckler like this.
  20. fowcbler

fowcbler Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    That story made me smile. The fact his screaming brought in deer absolutely obliterates the argument that being quiet when nothing is around is necessary HAHA.
    Heater is definitely not a restraint. In fact, the blind I would sit in with him already has a heater in it. Little portable propane heater.
    He would still need the Blanket, jacket, 3 layers of clothes and the heater HAHA (kid is extremely warm natured).
    I will have to see what happens and just take him out there with me. It will be the weekend of his 11th bday, so who knows, maybe he gets granted a bday gift from nature.

gltomp likes this.