Is your bow ever quiet enough?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Vabowman, Nov 30, 2021.

1. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I had just shot the bow, and didn't hear or feel a thing. Figured that it happened the first shot from the guy buying it.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

2. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    My limbs failed after I switched hunting arrows to target arrows with nocturnals and left them on after the light went out. Had a nock break resulted in a dry fire limbs failed less than 50 shots later.

dstouffer likes this.
  3. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Love my Barnsdale 340 destroyer.

4. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Think I remember that. That's when you got your Barnsdales?

I was shooting the same bow as you. One of the little bearings on the outside of the limbs( hold the yoke) broke during draw. It cracked the limbs, bent the cams and cut the string, and lost the bearings. That bow was done after that. Didn't have it in me to rebuild again. But damn if I didn't love shooting that bow, all time favorite.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

5. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Yep that is when it happened I had the dry fire brought it in had it checked out, tuned new string and cables, Sunday morning she blew up. Was hunting with it in less than a week later. Will be the last bow I own.

6. bucksnbears

bucksnbears Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Simple as it gets.
    I shot my 200th deer last year with a bow. Started about 1980ish
    Have seen about everything there is or will be seen. Most deer that "duck the shot" were alerted to "something" prior too.
    Those that are feeding on a field edge or bait pile are "wired" for a bit. Once they calm down and feel more comfortable, they are less jumpy.

Sitting in the woods on a travel route, the deer ate much less "spooky" unless some noise/smell makes them so.
    It's a good conversation piece but to many variables to come to a conclusion that is "right".
    Truthfully, alot of bow noise may have to do with all the crap we have hanging on it!

7. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I have had only one elk hunt but I can tell you I agree with all these concepts here to a point.
    I shot my cow elk at about 25 yards on a very slight quarter-to using a 440TAW -ish 31" Victory V3 350 Hunter topped by a 100gr G5 Striker, flying at about 290FPS. She was drinking and didn't budge from the time I shot until the arrow hit her. Remember, she was on a very slight quarter-to.

Now, that arrow impacted on a rib right over her heart. She bolted straight down the mountain and piled up after maybe 100 yards or so. There was almost no blood trail save for what was coming out her her muzzle as she ran.

After I recovered and quartered her, I retrieved the broadhead and saw one blade was folded over by almost 90*. Basically, upon entry that one blade (of three) hit exactly parallel to/with the rib bone right over her heart. The arrow then deflected and sheared back into the body at an extreme angle, basically skewering her from just above her nearside heart to her offside hip. The very tip of the head punched through the offside hide in front of that hip and the fletch was buried inside her chest cavity.

Now, I am not complaining about the end result, but had I been using a heavier arrow, and/or a stouter grade steel head, instead of deflecting off that rib the arrow probably would have sliced/punched right through the rib and while she would have died just as quick; there would have been a better blood trail.

Mass matters. So does steel thickness.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2021
    cantexian and tynimiller like this.
  8. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    [​IMG]

dnoodles likes this.
  9. dnoodles

Dislikes Received:
    a little early AM batting practice for ya!

cantexian likes this.
  10. Mod-it

Mod-it Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    What's false?
    I was just commenting that getting 270 fps at 60 lbs with a 600 grain arrow would take a heck of a DL.
    Turns out he misread the numbers and he meant to say...170 fps.

11. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I will always error to the side of having TOO MUCH arrow and TOO STRONG of a fixed head over
    Saying: Good lord I wish I had your draw length, you must be 30" or better. I'm a 27.5" draw length, if I shot a 600 grain arrow at 60 lbs. I'd be lucky to get 170 fps.

I am almost identical setup as described and I am most definitely not shooting that slow.

12. dnoodles

Dislikes Received:
    hey, @cantexian -
    I just saw your gear list:

Hoyt Charger #70 26.5"
    Black Eagle Renegades 250 spine, 580 grains TAW 19% FOC, Magnus Stingers or Black Hornets 125 grains
    Black Eagle Renegades 300 spine, 535 grains TAW 15.5% FOC, Slick Trick Magnums 100 grains.

you and @Vabowman need to talk in a private T-rex arms chat. Set him straight on the drinking straws he calls arrow shafts.

cantexian, tynimiller and Vabowman like this.
  13. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Nobody ever said I wish I didn't shoot that deer so hard.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2021
  14. fowcbler

fowcbler Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Sometimes I wish I could have gotten involved in the "game" a lot sooner to experience the evolution of bow hunting...that just sounds like too much fun.
    That was kind of my approach this first season out was to keep it simple, go semi-heavy arrowed and keep the target range within the "major" drop off area (for my setup its within 30 yds) and let the momentum, weight, and blades do all the work, assuming I was on target. Seemed to work out, but I definitely would like to increase my target distance comfort and keep a fairly flat trajectory out to at least 45 yds.
    I guess once you get out past 30 yds or so, the bow noise isn't so much the issue anymore as is the arrow noise. But that will just have to be something I experience for myself.

15. Mod-it

Mod-it Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Weird how the arrow deflected like that. I've never had one deflect off a rib so badly on quartering shots. Perhaps just blind luck that I've never had one make first contact with a blade on a rib though. I've always really liked the chisel shape of a Trocar tip, perhaps it is the difference? IDK. I just know I've had no concerns with the performance of my arrows/BH's at the weight I've always used. I still very often take unknown yardage shots on elk and I like having a bit more wiggle room if I misjudge by a few yards. Simply works for me. It does cost me some shot opportunities though. My setup will not reliably go through a scapula and I simply can't/don't take quartering to shots that require me to hug to the scapula very much.

But I will be buying and setting up a half dozen arrows in the near future that are going to be in the 450-475 range, I want to try out a bit heavier and like the thought of a quieter shot and better chances of punching through the scapula on a whitetail if it reacts to the shot quite a bit. Not to take scapula shots, but more "Oh s**t" buffer.

dnoodles likes this.
  16. cantexian

Dislikes Received:
    Already on it, we started yesterday. Earlier in the thread, I referenced two does that I shot out of the same tree; the one I killed a couple of weeks ago and one that got away in 2019. Here is a picture of where the doe from a couple of weeks ago died. In both cases the deer were just to the right of tree where this one fell at the time of the shot. The 2019 doe shot with a 425 grain arrow ducked, made a bad hit and went 700 yards across a property line. The deer with the 580 grain arrow didn’t go 2.

upload_2021-12-1_9-0-45.jpeg

17. cantexian

Dislikes Received:
    @Justin Busted Rack needs a T-Rex shirt for us short draw guys.

Mod-it and dnoodles like this.
  18. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    I'm always so intrigued and interested with folks that literally are the opposite of my thought process in arrow builds. I've never for a second over the last half dozen years considered arrow drop when building my arrows, I've only worried about lethality and penetration capabilities.

But I'm also the type of bowhunter that in my entire years (even before going heavy full builds) have never had the desire to extend my actual hunting range longer then 30/35 yards.

cantexian likes this.
  19. Vabowman

Vabowman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I agree and in fact I try to find ways that reduce the distance of my shots. I want em close as I can get. That is the reason I am pondering why i shoot such a light arrow. I mean, I didn't and don't set out to build a light arrow, it just ends up that way because I am so freaking short and carbon are generally light on average. I am hoping that I can go up in weight and maintain just enough speed to to be able to shoot to 25 yds max, which is not far, with one pin without holding high or low or blah blah blah

20. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    Your draw length and weight is not so incredibly short to be worried about the arrow weighing too much to ever impact anything worth worrying about at those distances.

cantexian likes this.