The Orion Syndicate (#12) - 2020 & 2021 Champions

Discussion in '2022 Deer Contest' started by tynimiller, Aug 31, 2020.

1. LittleChief

LittleChief Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Oh, I know. That’s why I said “a couple of someone elses”. :lol:

I have no intention of putting up a zero for buck score. If it gets down to the wire I’ll shoot one of the spikes here for 50 points. I’m not proud and I need the venison.

I was thinking about the upcoming Kentucky trip and I don’t think I’ll take both weapons at first. I just ordered two more packs of Slick Tricks and two more packs of Nockturnals from Lancaster Archery. I think I’ll start with just the bow and see how it goes.

I have a crap load of blades for the Slick Tricks but I only had four 100 grain ferrules For the V3 and I ruined two of those on the two shots I took in Mark Twain National Forest. The ground is all rock and all broad heads are pretty much one shot deals there.

ash d likes this.
  2. LittleChief

Dislikes Received:
    Speaking of which, if we could get one or both of those entered we’d be in first place for the first time since I entered the first deer of the contest back in September.
    :lmao2:

Team Haastyle, ash d and Oldcarp like this.
  3. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I’ve fully disclosed it won’t be for a bit here as not making the special trip to measure it before the euro is done as too far. Sorry lol

as for ferrules, I got a bunch of slick trick magnums lying around as I don’t shoot them anymore, do you shoot them or the standards? I could ship them quick to you

4. Oldcarp

Oldcarp Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    The family spent the last two days at my sons house in Price. And he’s just over the mountain from where we live. Coming home we saw this herd of elk. Some of the upper lakes are starting to freeze over.

Attached Files:

tynimiller, LittleChief and ash d like this.
  5. LittleChief

Dislikes Received:
    I know about your buck Ty and I totally understand.

The competitive part of me really wants to see us at the top of the list though just to kind of put a little :whip: in there.

Are your Slick Trick ferrules 100 or 125 grain? I shoot 100 grain out of the V3.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2021
  6. Brett Smith

Brett Smith Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The Triax is scheduled to arrive tomorrow from Clear Archery in PA.
    Momma is working late Tuesday so I can go to the basement & site it in
    I have an 18 yard range in the basement
    25 yard range if I step outside the sliding doors
    40 yard if I go outside into the elements
    Our bow season runs through January so please don’t give up on us yet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ash d, MIHOYT89, tynimiller and 2 others like this.
  7. LittleChief

Dislikes Received:
    Glad to hear it Brett.
    If anything goes wrong the Heli-m is still an option.

8. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    they were off my 125 slick trick magnums. However I used to shoot the standards. I’ll get out my scale tomorrow and check them and see if I still have any of the standards around too.

9. MIHOYT89

MIHOYT89 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks a lot everyone I appreciate the congratulations. Sorry to keep everyone waiting on the story.

I hunted Wednesday Thursday and Friday nights, out of the same stand seeing a pretty good amount of deer. But I knew that Friday would be the best night of them all. I got in around 3 and started seeing deer almost immediately so the time seemed like it was flying by. I looked at my phone after what seemed like 5 minutes and it was already 4:30 and that’s when I hear a gun bark a few farms down. I almost immediately knew it was my BIL, and a minute later I got the text from him “buck down”.

Unknowing to me the buck that I shot stepped out during this time around 60 yards. I quickly looked around for other deer to see if I could get stood and grab my bow as he was walking towards me pretty quickly. He hung up at 35 yards in a little patch of corn that the combine missed which gave me a minute to get good and comfortable.

Finally he started walking, I drew, stopped him around 25 yards and touched the trigger on my release. He ran about 40 yards, wobbled, and fell in sight.

It was pretty cool being able to double up with my BIL and sharing the post kill activities with my two little people. On the way home my oldest said “daddy that was the coolest night ever seeing those bucks and all of their inside stuff”.

It’s been a challenging season to say the least but it finally came together. I really believe this deer was 3.5 based on his body size post rut. He was right at 170# dressed.

I got the hide off of his head last night and plan on scoring him tonight after work. As I said before it’s not a lot of points but there was no way i was letting that deer out of the field unless I messed the whole thing up.

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

ash d, tynimiller and LittleChief like this.
  10. LittleChief

Dislikes Received:
    That’s great Mitch. I laughed at your kid thinking it was cool seeing the “inside stuff”.

MIHOYT89 likes this.
  11. MIHOYT89

MIHOYT89 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    So I brought the heart home and my youngest (5) thought it was awesome. So much so that he decided to bring that heart in the bag to the store with us on Saturday with me not knowing at all. We saw one of my friends so we talked for a bit and the little sucker piped up and said wanna see my heart, me not knowing I said Easton we have to keep our clothes on in the store, and he said no my deer heart as he pulled it out of his coat pocket. Great memories lol

Oldcarp, ash d, fletch920 and 2 others like this.
  12. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    Oh my word....this could be my favorite story from the entire year.

MIHOYT89 likes this.
  13. fletch920

fletch920 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats Mitch!

I hunted several times over the holiday with miserable results. We had temps in the 60's and winds blowing 20 to 30 mph most days. For the first time in years, I had four sits in a row that I did not see a single deer. My cameras went nuts all night long and were completely dead during daylight hours. I think it is just too warm for them. I literally had cameras start hitting as I was closing the gate on two evenings. lol. I saw one shooter the entire time and he was 150 yards away at very last light.

Our gun seasons are about to open, so it looks like I will be killing my archery deer during the late season. At least we will have some colder temps then and my food plots look great. So, don't give up on me. I have some decent bucks on camera and lots and lots of does. I am putting the finishing touches on a new haybale blind that I will put in one of the plots so I can sit with some heat and be comfortable for the late season. I can promise you guys a doe and will do all I can to get a buck.

Oldcarp, MIHOYT89 and ash d like this.
  14. fletch920

fletch920 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Not monsters, but a cool picture I got over the holiday. file.jpeg

farmer rick, MIHOYT89 and ash d like this.
  15. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    How many craft beers does this team need to put together and me or Chief hand deliver for your standards to lower Fletch on a buck LOL

.....kinda joking...I like this group and want to chase a third win next year.

16. LittleChief

Dislikes Received:
    I don’t know what’s going on with me this year guys.

I’ve never botched so many shots with a bow in my life.

I missed a big doe this morning. I posted it in the LFTS thread, but she walked through a good shooting lane at 32 yards but she was quartering to me. By the time she finally gave me a broadside shot she was at 20 but in some thin cover.

I was sure I could put the arrow through it and make the shot. I was wrong. It deflected and I ended up with a clean miss.

What no one knows about is the miss and the wound without recovery in Arkansas this past weekend.

I’ve launched 9 arrows this year and only killed 4. That includes three hits with no recovery.

I know I’m better than that and like I said, I don’t know what’s happening.

I’m going to hunt tomorrow morning and then I’m going to take two days off, practice and try to figure out if it’s my form or just some kind of anxiety, which is what I’m leaning toward.

After the miss in Arkansas I went back to the cabin, put all of my gear on and shot. Even at 50 yards I was putting my arrows in a 4” circle on the target.

I just don’t get it.

17. takemrarely

takemrarely Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    If I hit three with no recovery I would puke.

Flame me, but it’s true.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. MIHOYT89

MIHOYT89 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    **** happens Johnny, we’ve all had those years. I think a couple days off might do you good.

I know you know as well as anyone but practice like you hunt. It may not hurt to get 8-10ft up in your climber and fling some arrows from a stand. Maybe you’re doing something that you just can’t tell in the heat of the moment. You’ll figure it out man!

On another note I got my buck added. If you can’t see the picture of my score sheet just let me know and all add a picture in another post.

fletch920 and LittleChief like this.
  19. ash d

ash d Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I feel your pain Littlechief. I hit 2 in archery both were chip shots. I feel bad for the animal but also feel like I let the team down. Only thing I have done different to my bow was I had a new string put on with a bigger peep and I think it may be to big. That may have contributed to my first miss but the second was all me I pulled right. You’ll come through Littlechief.

LittleChief likes this.
  20. LittleChief

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks Mitch. PM sent by the way. I can’t see the score breakdown.