Tree saddle hunting...

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by mikerock85, Jun 25, 2014.

1. Oly44

Oly44 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I’d give the back band a try first and see how it goes. But id also look at 2 panel plus a back band too. You would have 3 points of support. I love my 2 panel saddle. Latitude outdoors has a 30 day money back return policy. So you could try that and see if it would work for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pastorjim08 likes this.
  2. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    I have more issues with my lower back on long saddle sits (4-5 hours or more). I did a 4 hour sit one evening followed by a 5 hour the following morning and my back hurt like hell the next day.

A back band helps a little bit for me, but it's not great. If I'm going to be sitting for a long time, or all day, I'll take the hang-on stand 1o out of 10 times.

3. Oly44

Oly44 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Must be because you guys are old. That’s the common denominator I see here

Last edited: Nov 22, 2021
    pastorjim08 likes this.
    0317 dislikes this.
  4. parkersdad

parkersdad Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have a dryad Drey. It is the most comfortable saddle made. It literally is a hammock that you can sleep in or wear it like a regular saddle. However I am like Justin. I prefer to sit long hours in a stand. Also if it is colder than 30° I prefer a stand. I seem to stay warmer. My stand of choice is my Lone Wolf hand climber

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

5. Oly44

Oly44 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Well my one stick setup should be here Monday. And I sold my original method saddle and bought a method XL. Looking forward trying them out.

Shocker99 likes this.
  6. 0317

0317 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I cant see myself ever trying these things ... esp. trying to do an alldayer (10-11hrs) in a butt diaper slingy thingy ... then trying to shoot on the off side/weak side on a 25 degree day .. no friggin' way .. I'll continue with my LW Alpha II and 4 sticks ....

7. Oly44

Oly44 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Okay? Carry on then….

jonderrs7 and Swamp Stalker like this.
  8. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    They arent for everyone thats for sure. But where i hunt i cant hardly get a stand through the brush. I can get places faster and easier in one of these . As far as the off hand you can duck under your rope and face opposite way and your off hand becomes your on hand. You have 360 degrees of shot angles. But you DO sacrifice some comfort. An all dayer would be brutal. I usually move around so i get to stretch while moving. I use an Alpha 2 as well. Like them both

Swamp Stalker likes this.
  9. Swamp Stalker

Swamp Stalker Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I've done all day sits on my kestrel flex saddle plenty of times, and I'm a comfort snob coming from a summit viper. I'm a leaner, and maybe sit .005% of the time.

Saw this on the facebook, https://barrenridgetreestands.com/ looks like someone finally making a climbing platform. Weighs just under 4 pounds too, and folds flat. looks a bit noisy though, and would require extensive use of stealth stripping or camo hockey stick taping. Pretty cool though!
    It's a few bucks more than I paid for my summit open shot.

cantexian likes this.
  10. Oly44

Oly44 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    One sticking setup is here!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Swamp Stalker and Shocker99 like this.
  11. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck, I tried it at a demo day this past summer. It is not for me. I would rather carry my ministicks and platform. I hope it works well for you.

12. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    This thing looks a little clunky, but I imagine they refine it and we see other people come out with similar options in the near future. One-sticking is great, but I have to imagine a compact, climbing platform is the ultimate in mobility and ease of use for saddle hunters. To have your climbing method and platform all rolled into one compact piece of equipment that doesn't require a bunch of extra ropes, aiders and repelling gear is pretty sweet.

I'd love to see someone who is a leader in the climbing treestand game like Lone Wolf or Summit come out with a more polished version of this.

13. Swamp Stalker

Dislikes Received:
    Agree, it looks noisy with the loose cable being held by pins. When you go to lift the platform with your feet, the tension on the cables is released so if there is any play between the loops and pins, it's gonna make a metallic clinking sound, and then do it again when pressure is reapplied.

In September, I actually sent a three-page write-up to Summit's research and development team with pictures of my setup using the open shot to piece. I explained step-by-step what I did, how it does not alter the structural integrity of the original design, how I climb with it, how to use existing parts the stand comes with to keep the stand attached to the hunter while climbing, to sharpen the teeth on the part that touches the tree for added stability, and how to attach a ratchet strap or OCB buckle around the tree to make it rock solid. I offered advice to make it be able to fold flat for compact travelling, but also stated that I personally don't need it to fold flat because I use the stand's arms to secure my cold weather gear with bungee cords for long treks in the woods. It would be cool to see them come up with something.

I love having a one-piece climbing method/platform. it weighs a few ounces over 5 pounds and is very easy to climb with. There is very little fiddle factor once at the tree. I wear a waist pack (:dan: yes I know) turned so the pack is in my front. I take the stand off my back, attach it to the tree, and it becomes a shelf with all of my gear to get dressed. Once I'm dressed and geared up, I use the bungee cords on the underside of the platform to stop the backpack straps from dangling in the wind. I have a Doyle's gear hoist in my waist pack, I attach the bow to it and climb.

If by chance I've set the angle of the stand too loose, seeing as I'm tethered to the tree already, I can hang by my saddle and pull the stand up to me using the roped that is attached to me to the stand, make the adjustment, lower it back down and reset it.

jonderrs7 and cantexian like this.
  14. Shocker99

Dislikes Received:
    Dropped some loot today. Ended up going with the eberlestock x2. (4 )Beast ministicks with (4 )20” eastern woods aiders. I hope im happy with them. Ill still use the tetherd platform and phantom saddle for now. Swamp i wish i hunted straight limbless trees. Sometimes i do. That climber platform would be a good accessory to ditch the sticks and lighten up when i hunt the few places i do that has them

15. Shocker99

Dislikes Received:
    Let us know how it works out.

16. Oly44

Oly44 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Will do. I’m going to try and get out and practice some. But it’s getting cold up here Lol not sure I’ll get a actual out of it this year. We will see though.

Shocker99 likes this.
  17. Swamp Stalker

Dislikes Received:
    Bruh....you see deer though...LOL

Shocker99 likes this.
  18. Shocker99

Dislikes Received:
    True! :lol: But i havent shot a wall hanger in about 6-7 yrs!!! :sad:

Swamp Stalker likes this.
  19. Oly44

Oly44 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Lol if I dont shoot anything late season here it will be 6 buckless years. Handful of does in that time but no bucks. Granted besides this gear I didnt spend much time deer hunting. It was all duck and goose. But having the saddle and the itch shoot a nice buck again has got me back in the tree a lot more lately.

Shocker99 likes this.
  20. Shocker99

Dislikes Received:
    I was going to take you duck hunting at Carlyle lake i think awhile back! I think i got real busy with work or something. You didnt miss much anyway. It can be on fire there but also cold as ice when the birds arent there. Watched many of empty skies. You moved right after that if i remember right so i never got to give you a raincheck. Sounds like youve got it figured out where your at though.