Team 16 - Silent Slayers

Discussion in '2021 Deer Contest' started by cls74, Aug 29, 2021.

1. camo75

camo75 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    If your going to move I would set up a ground blind for them to see along with the signs. I wouldn’t let fence hunters run me out. The blind will help keep them guessing whether your there or not.
    Looks like they did the honorable thing though. Didn’t mess with your camera and took him back to their side to gut. Keep at it man and put this behind you.

cantexian and OkieArrowSlinger like this.
  2. bowhuntingbebout

bowhuntingbebout Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Don't let it get you down. I have my favorite piece of public getting some serious pressure like I've never seen before. Even had a guy all the way from NY here hunting the other day that I chatted with. Gave him a little heads up on the property lines and what areas are legal for hunting, suggested that he move his vehicle so it wasn't blocking the gate (illegal here), and wished him luck on getting a good one. I have learned that I have a much better time staying positive in tough situations and things seem to always get better. Take a day that has inclement weather and do some scouting/hunting. You may just find the right spot to be in where the big guy is feeling safe.

3. Jensen

Jensen Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry to hear about that. That can be a bummer when people push the fence line. I know in MN you can track a deer onto private without permission without your weapon, is that the same where you are at? We have people sit on the fence line all the time during gun season and they have NO WOODS where they are set up, they literally watch over a corn field and the corn field on my inlaws property and the woods that stop at the fence line, needless to say I empathize with you.

OkieArrowSlinger likes this.
  4. Jensen

Jensen Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    So I went out last night and there's a giant old doe who is smart and I am working to kill her. She came out with her two fawns and a buck, pretty sure it was a smaller buck, and they were working my way but I think she might have pegged me in the tree from about 100 yards away. I thought I had good cover but she went back into the woods, or so I thought, and they must have just been eating right on the edge of the woods. About 10 minutes goes by and she starts blowing down that way but my wind was not remotely close to blowing towars her. Then they all come back out into the corn and head west which is what the wind was out of. I am thinking maybe a yote was out there but not sure. I probably have one or two more sits left before im done for the year, by the grace of my better half I have gotten to go out longer and more than I thought.

cantexian and OkieArrowSlinger like this.
  5. rbhunting1

rbhunting1 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I had an old doe that busted me five times in one season. I knew it was the the same doe because she had a bobtail. The wind was always in my favor, she was just smart. I took care of her at 100yds with my .270.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

6. Jensen

Jensen Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm going out Thanksgiving night and praying to give her a dirt nap. She is a big old doe and really smart, third or fourth time she's busted me this year but last night was the first time she actually started blowing.

7. camo75

Dislikes Received:
    Happy Thanksgiving you slayers!

Adamant2010 and OkieArrowSlinger like this.
  8. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Happy Thanksgiving guys! Good luck if you are out this weekend. I am hoping to go out tomorrow or Saturday with my boys to get them deer.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2021
    Adamant2010 and OkieArrowSlinger like this.
  9. OkieArrowSlinger

OkieArrowSlinger Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Happy Thanksgiving guys! Hope you all get to enjoy some time with family today. I plan to get out tomorrow and some this weekend. Turns out the buck that got shot last weekend on my cam was the big one I’ve been after. :sad:High school girl shot him so I can’t be too upset about it. Still got another shooter that hangs around and maybe another mature buck will move into the area now that the boss is gone. Who knows…

10. SouthernMDArcher

SouthernMDArcher Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Butcher finally called yesterday evening, I will pickup the rack up this evening. Hope to get it cleaned up and scored by this week. Good luck to those hunting.

V/r
    Dave

11. bowhuntingbebout

Dislikes Received:
    Had a spike and large forkhorn come by this morning at 8am and 9am. Then three does came by around 10:30, but nothing trailing them. Had to come home to watch "The Game". I may get back out here in a little while.

12. cantexian

Dislikes Received:
    I was out with my boys rifle hunting last night and this morning. I missed a doe at 140 with my .270. I shot it after the morning hunt and it was hitting 4” low and 3” right. Very frustrating considering I sighted it in two weeks ago. It must have been bumped at some point.I got that fixed. That doe would be dead if the gun was on.

My oldest missed two does this morning with the .243. We were Pretty sure the second shot was a miss. But the first shot looked good. The doe dropped, spun fast and ran hard for about 40 yards then slowed up and milled around before we lost sight of it in the trees. Unfortunately, we never found blood. I was able to follow her trail of overturned leaves for about 75 yards before I had to stop at the property line. Never saw a drop of blood. He must just grazed her. That is probably it for us this weekend.

13. bowhuntingbebout

Dislikes Received:
    Had this guy at 60yds and closing, trailing about 5 minutes behind the doe that had came through. Then a sounder of hogs came over a finger ridge and spooked him off. I broke my setup down and tried to cut the buck off as he circled around another point coming off the main ridge. Did a couple calling sequences on the edge of a laurel thicket hoping to draw him in. About 20mins later I hear heavy walking coming over the point where the buck was last seen going. I was disappointed to see a big black blob coming towards me. Another darn pig is what I was thinking. Boy was I wrong! Shot a nice black bear with my longbow on the ground with my stand setup on my back. It was a hard quartering away shot. Placement looked good, but I know there is a gut shot on impact. I shoot a 32" arrow with a stout broadhead/insert configuration, and the only thing visible were my bright pink feathers. I'm going to come back in the morning with some help to track, and (fingers crossed) help pack out.

Screenshot_20211128-164823_Gallery.jpg

14. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck on the recovery!

cantexian and bowhuntingbebout like this.
  15. bowhuntingbebout

Dislikes Received:
    It's going to be a long night for sure.

16. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    So once @SouthernMDArcher gets his buck scored and posted he will be the first member tagged out for the contest.

Is anyone else officially done?

I'm still going to get out, this coming weekend is the final shotgun season so anything after that will be with a bow. Just cannot guarantee not using a gun this weekend.

I'm in it for a doe or young buck as much for the team as I am a friend/coworker. I have well over a month and a half left.

This is the time of year where the 50 points add up quick as many lose interest.

We are right there at the top if we can get them 50's coming in. Don't drop your standards, but season will be over before you know it, December comes Wednesday.

17. bowhuntingbebout

Dislikes Received:
    I've got until Jan. 1st to get it done. I'm still after my first traditional buck, but I don't feel as though my standards should change with the weapon. Anything 3yo or better will get an arrow given the opportunity. I'm going to try to get some sleep now and hopefully find this bear in the morning.

18. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Not at all, shoot what you set out to shoot. Nothing less.

I was more saying passing a doe in hopes of a trailing buck is going by the wayside now, location dependent. Already have an a tlereed down so my next is brown and down pretty much.

cantexian and camo75 like this.
  19. camo75

Dislikes Received:
    I have been busy with a remodel project but looking forward to some time in the woods. Will be out soon for a doe.

20. cantexian

Dislikes Received:
    Arkansas archery runs until the end of February, so I have until the contest is over. Hopefully, it will not take that long. But, with a young family, my next several weekends will be busy.

rbhunting1 likes this.