Best crossbow for the money?

Discussion in 'Crossbows' started by mobowdoebuck, Aug 6, 2017.

1. joernfr

joernfr Newb

Dislikes Received:
    +1 on Excalibur crossbow. I hunt with a Matrix 330 - you can unload it without shooting the arrow.

2. randy3003

randy3003 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The Barnett bow (Ghost 420) you are looking is a great bow, I have an older model Barnett (last model year predator) and I love it I can bust peaches to 60 yards, of course I have an upgraded sight. I also just yesterday bought the new butt backwards xbow by Barnett ( buck commander revengence) and am awaiting it's arrival. Been shooting my buddies for the last couple days and it's pretty awesome too. I don't suggest however that you go to the pawn shops unless you have a lot of crossbow knowledge as they are quite different than a compound and flaws in them are a bit harder to detect. Buy new if you at all can and give yourself some time to learn, if you can't then a used crossbow from a reputable bow shop could be another option.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2017
  3. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Airbow...

4. Zardoz80

Zardoz80 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I have had a SA Sports Empire Dragon for 2 years. I think currently they're around $215 online most places. 345fps accessories are cheap. I look at it as a bare bow sort of deal. The quiver works, the rope cocker is a rope cocker. Nothing fancy I like the light weight, and fairly compact size. It will drill dots all day long out to 50 yards. No complaints.

pick00l likes this.
  5. TeamOkie918

TeamOkie918 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm new to the x-bow scene. A shoulder injury prevented me from getting to full draw (60#) on a doe at 14 yards a little over a week ago. So, to prevent that from happening again (after all, I would like to put some meat in my freezer) I bought a x-bow. I wanted an entry level rig, but wanted the most bang ofr my buck. After researching and reading reviews I opted to purchase the Center Point Sniper 370. 185# draw, a bit more compact than a lot of other models, and 370 fps. I added a foregrip to it and got it sighted in this morning. I am pretty pleased with my purchase and will be out inthe woods late this week and into the weekend chasing whitetails.
    (Note: The pictured group is at 40 yrds.)
    20171022_153609-01.jpeg IMG_20171023_130134_395.jpg IMG_20171023_131224_843.jpg

6. randy3003

randy3003 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The reason I shoot the Barnett predator is it's dependability and attributes. 375 ft/sec, 16" power stroke, and 133ft lbs of kenetic energy. It shoots (at 30 yards) through my 3d deer decoy and I mean through and out the back side. If I set it against a table I made with two lawyers of 5/8" chip board the vanes somethings go into the decoy tearing off my vanes and up to 8-9" of the bolt sticking through the wood. I have to leave a gap in between the decoy and the table top of about 4" and the practice tips still disappear into the wood but at least they're no longer tearing my vanes off. There is no replacement for kenetic energy and heavy hunting arrows. While my bow is fast ( it's 2 yrs old) it's not that fast for today's standard of bows. Can you imagine a 16" power stroke on a bow shooting say 420'/sec.

rut n buck likes this.
  7. ash d

ash d Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Anybody shoot any of the Mission line crossbows that I keep seeing advertised on here?

Sent from my iPad using Bowhunting.com Forums

rut n buck likes this.
  8. Bow Hunt

Bow Hunt Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I've been sticking with TenPoint for the past 5 or so years. A good comparison blog is here.

9. Nebraskaz71

Nebraskaz71 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2021
  10. BowHunt43

BowHunt43 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    You can tell by my picture :)) Tenpoint

11. sandywilliam

sandywilliam Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Great thread; I look for my first crossbow; I think I'll go for an Excalibur. I also saw some interesting models at archerytopic.com. By the way, what do you guys think would be the best option for the first crossbow. Should I go for one that has a scope or not. Getting one with a scope seems logical. I doubt I'd be very accurate with a classic one, given that I have zero experience. I would also like to learn bow shooting later and wondered if there are any similarities between bows and crossbows in the way they handle.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2022
  12. solete

solete Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Hello. Looking to possibly get a new mid-range crossbow for target practicing and deer hunting in future. Don't want to break the bank, shots are inside 70 yards, most in fact in the 30-40 yard range. Suggestions?

Last edited: Aug 1, 2023
  13. bluebanana

bluebanana Newb

Dislikes Received:
  14. oldnotdead

oldnotdead Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I have a several year old wicked ridge that has been spot on. This said I also have a mission compound and love it. I would take a good look at the mission crossbows.