New to archery and looking for advice

Discussion in 'Intro to Bowhunting & Archery' started by Vertroa, Dec 9, 2020.

1. Vertroa

Vertroa Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Hi friends, as the title says I am new to archery. I have been inspired from binge watching seasons of Alone and Cam Hanes videos (hopefully that does not earn me any hate as I don't know how the archery community feels about those two things). In any case, I dig any hobbies that gets me outside and adventuring. My goal is to begin with target practice and move onto small game hunting once I am fully confident in my ability. I have read through the beginner guides on the sidebar which were very helpful, but I have a few additional questions.

1. I have no qualms with investing in a new hobby. However I don't think it make sense for me to purchase the top of the line Hoyt as I won't understand or leverage all the features of such a bow. However I still want to purchase a quality bow to begin honing my skills. How much should I spend on my first compound bow? What brand or model would you recommend?
    2. I live in the Portland, OR area and have identified a few clubs and pro shops nearby. Are there any locals here that would recommend any of the nearby shops?
    3. Is there any other advice your would give someone walking into the pro shop for the first time?
    Thanks!

2. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Welcome to the site!
    As for purchasing a rig I would advise trying as many as you can. Try friends, or other members at clubs or any bows they sell at the shop you have.
    It's not as profound as it sounds but shoot all the bows you can and ones of them will "speak" to you. When you decide what you want look on here for bows on sale.
    You also could try a package deal from a box store and get ready to go with a fully set bow for 400.
    There is no right answer for what to shoot. It's one of the great things about this forum.
    Ex. I have been bow hunting for 26 years and I just created a thread to get members opinions on changing releases.
    Just do some research and bring us opinions and we will guide as best we can.
    We are glad to have you here.

3. Cannon06

Cannon06 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    +1 on Fix's post.

You'll need to shoot a few different bows to get a feel for each one, and what features you are willing to pay for. My first bow was mid level quality wise, and I didn't know any different. I put down a bunch of deer with it, and was very happy with it. After shooting for 5 years I upgraded to a high end model and I could definitely tell why I paid more. My opinion is that if you are committed to learning archery and this is not an impulse purchase, then you could buy a top end bow and you'll love it. You can also buy a mid level bow for half the cost, as you learn more about archery. There is nothing wrong with either option. This forum always has guys selling their bows that are a used, but top end models. Can save you several hundred if your looking for a good deal.

Okiebob and Vertroa like this.
  4. Vertroa

Vertroa Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thank you for all the tips and advice guys. I am going to go to the pro shop this weekend. I still haven't decided if I want to go all out or just buy a mid range bow. I am a buy once, cry once type of guy so I'll think about it.

5. Mod-it

Mod-it Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Like recommended, shoot flagship bows and mid range bows. There will likely be more than one bow that you really like the feel of. Then you can make a decision on what you want to spend.
    I've been shooting bows since I was 10 or so, but really started into shooting compounds with all the bells and whistles at around 19. I'm now 47. I currently shoot a 2014 mid-range bow that I bought as a hold over in 2015 for $500 bucks and like the heck out of it. It doesn't have to have a $1000+ price tag to do everything you want and feel good to you.
    You'll know what were referring to once you shoot several. A good bow shop will be more than willing to do a basic setup on some of their bows for you so you can shoot them and see how they feel. They should not be too pushy about which brand to buy or what brand of accessories you should buy. Just tell them exactly what you said here, that you are new and want to start with target until confident and then move to hunting with it.
    Being new, it is a really good idea to watch/read everything you can about proper form when shooting a bow, as it is much easier to start off at least close to proper form rather than to develop bad form habits that will then be tough to change. A decent bow shop will also normally be willing to offer some starting out advice and work with you a bit.

Vertroa likes this.
  6. Kenneth Jasinski

Kenneth Jasinski Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I agree, go to a shop and shoot some bows, some will feel good and some wont. Then comes down to price point, but you dont have to buy a 1k bow to kill a deer with. A great beginner bow is the Diamond infinite edge, Its usually a package deal and adjusts from like 15 lb to 70 lb draw and like 23 to 30 inch draw weight. I believe the package is about $300 or so, you can also buy a used bow offline for cheap just to make sure archery is something you will stick with. Buy a used bow for $1 or $200. Then put more money into accessories that then can be swapped to a new bow once your ready for one, like Site, rest, quiver and arrows and release.

7. marie89

marie89 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    i am also new here and this thread helped me a lot

8. mnhunter77

mnhunter77 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Another option is to check Ebay.com, seems like alot of bow shops post some decent deals when they are getting rid of last year's models.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

9. Owen Darrow

Owen Darrow Newb

Dislikes Received:
    When I started 3 years ago I bought a Bear bow at Cabelas and I'm still shooting it! You'll see them marked RTH which means ready to hunt. These bows are usually perfect for what your looking for and it was for me too. All you need after the bow package are arrows, a release, field tips for the arrows, a target, and a archery hex set. From there go get it paper tuned and rigged to your weight...go with 50lbs when you start so you can get your form good and not injure yourself. I would suggest starting off with arrows over 300 spine if you see yourself hunting at over 60lbs in the future. Go shoot and have fun.

HJC84 likes this.
  10. bowhuntersteve

bowhuntersteve Newb

Dislikes Received:
  11. HJC84

HJC84 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Your story sounds like mine! Got my Bear Cruzer G2 RTH from Bass Pro about 3yrs ago and I still love shooting it!

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

12. Agi Ambre

Agi Ambre Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Welcome to your new addiction. I took the long road started with a target bow that was given as a gift. I purchased some cheapies on offer up and craigslist only to late sell them to some one less intelligent than me. All the above advise is perfect. Test other bows if you can. My major set back is being tall and having a 31 inch draw. There wasn't much on an entry level that I could go with.
    DO NOT SETTLE ON ONE SHOP. Go in and kick tires Ask questions but don't be ready to buy. Trust the shop that wants to take it's time with you and make sure you understand what you are doing. You are not a waste of time an inconvenience or a paycheck. You are an investment to them. If they spend time with you and make sure you know what you have. You will want to go back and put their sticker on your car and call it "your shop."

13. Robert Rankin

Robert Rankin Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Go to as many different bow shops and shoot as many bows from as many different manufactures as you can get your hands on. Shoot them all, flagship, med-range and low so you feel what they are all like. Don't let shops or manufacture fan boys force something on you. If the bow does not feel right you will not shoot it like one that feels great.

I tend to be a buy once/cry once kind of guy as well. I shot a 70# Mathews Feather Max for ~19.5 year until my shoulder problems required me to find a new bow. over a 3 or 4 month period I visited 14 different shops, shot 66 bows of 3 model years before. I scored them all and cataloged them all in a spreadsheet (nerd) giving them scores and recording my comments on how they drew, the valley, the back wall etc.. This helped me to narrow it down to 4 that felt great with my limitation. I held a final shoot of the 4, consulted my notes and made my pick. Hoyt, Prime and Athens bows made up the final 4 and anyone of the 4 bows would have suited me well.

Also if there is a bow you want to try and their is no dealer near you, consult the the manufacture website see if there is any information on it that lists opportunities to try their gear. For instance Athens Archery has an ambassador program that can help you find someone local who will allow you to shoot their stable of bows. I used this and set up a meeting with local ambassador at a local 3D shoot where I shot (3) of his Athens bows. The Athens Rev 7 was my #2 pick.

APA also has a try/buy program where you spec the bow you want, pay for it and if you do not like it you return it for a full refund less shipping costs.

Good luck in your journey

14. neckturtle101

neckturtle101 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck

15. Kaileybr

Kaileybr Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks, I am also a newbie and your guide was very useful.