Brisket area

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by Limbhanger, Nov 13, 2021.

1. Limbhanger

Limbhanger Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm kind of dumb founded here, as I shot a good buck this morning broadside at 25yards. I honestly didn't watch the arrow, but heard that unmistakable hollow thump and figured him to be dead.

But after the shot I questioned the shot after he ran a bit as he flagged then put his tail down? But could only see about 20 yards as he went downhill some. After this I never retrieved my arrow for an hour and a half to find very little blood smeared on the fletching's and some whiteish tallow on the shaft. Could this unmistakable hollow thump be just a brisket hit only? Or is it possible to hit high enough to get that hollow sound without hitting vitals and exiting the brisket, wiping the arrow somewhat clean?

I've shot my share of deer and anytime I heard that thump, it was an easy track, never just brisket shot one before, so now curious as to what happened? No blood for 60 yards, then was finding bright red drops here and there but easy enough to follow. Followed about 200 yards or so to the other end of this brushy field he was shot in. Now entered the woods as confused where to go and made a V as to double back, and where he did this was better blood on the ground with a Nickle sized blood glob. Thinking he stood here for awhile as it was the most blood noticed while tracking?

Quit the search there for now as I never bumped him that I know of and never bedded after 250 yards now. And kind of lost blood at his V double back as hard to tell with what blood coming in and his double back now mixed the two trails together and couldn't locate the new exit.

So basically after all this I'm wondering if that unmistakable thump I've heard times before with good results, can be mistaken strictly for a brisket superficial would, never shot one in the brisket, very bummed. Thanks

Last edited: Nov 13, 2021
  2. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    It's going to be speculation no matter what. Sorry man it sucks. If you can legally I would get a dog on him asap

In Venatione Veritas

MUDSHARK likes this.
  3. Limbhanger

Dislikes Received:
    Closest tracker will not come to my area, and really don't know anyone else with a dog to do this. Being he did not bed has me concerned, as to only head out later might just bump him, which would be fine knowing that he'll make it? So at this point I'll check tomorrow morning, figuring if he should die, that would be enough time? but will have to be really lucky to find him if so?

4. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Biggest thing missing is shot description. Where was your aim point for entry, quartering to or away? Distance, height, broadhead etc.

High entry on single lung can take a while to fill up to get blood flowing. Single lung can also go for miles or even live.

5. Limbhanger

Dislikes Received:
    Perfectly broadside, point of aim, behind shoulder, slightly above heart, incase he would jump string, stopped with a loud grunt, tree stand height 22ft, ground sloping slightly making shot height around 25 is my best guess? Broadhead 100 gr Shuttle T., and as I said didn't see it hit, but got pass through with that hollow thump sound, but after the bucks reaction to flag then tuck his tail and tracking, the shot must have been too low, just don't understand the hollow thump sound, if it's possible just hitting brisket?

Last edited: Nov 13, 2021
  6. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Not that I have encountered

In Venatione Veritas

7. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Any hair at POI?

It's possible to ge below the lungs, should have had a nice tuft of white hair. Not real familiar with that shot location and what it sounds like compared to through the rib cage. A lot of cartilage so guess that it's feasible.

8. Limbhanger

Dislikes Received:
    No tuft of white hair and no hair I could see at P,O.I., wiped a few short brownish hairs of the shaft when I got home.

9. Limbhanger

Dislikes Received:
    Thank for the opinions, got to run. Will give it a grid search tomorrow morning.

10. bowhuntersteve

bowhuntersteve Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

11. Limbhanger

Dislikes Received:
    No luck, searched from daybreak till around noon, never found a bed with any blood in it either.

Took me all most an hour to determine the deer's direction once it doubled back some, where I had left off yesterday. After doubling back some he then crossed back over the trail , as if you were to make a star pattern. So went with his general direction picking up a few more drops of blood with no luck grid searching then.

Kind of a bummer, just hoping he makes it now? But what bothers me is I know I heard the chest cavity hollow thump. The only thing I can figure even if it's possible, is I hit low behind the heart, and just caught diaphragm, without hitting guts, But not sure if it's possible to slip an arrow betwen the heart and guts and only hitting diaphragm, but that would explain the hollow thump?

12. Mod-it

Mod-it Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I feel you shot low. Aiming for just above the heart with the deer on sloping ground and you sitting 22' in the air makes for a pretty steep angle, it wouldn't take much of a wiggle to miss low. Little blood on arrow, along with some tallow, sounds like a low muscle hit. Muscle hits bleed pretty good for a little bit and then dry right up.
    As far as the hollow thump, I think you're putting too much into that. BH's have a unique sound when they hit, but I've really only ever noticed two sounds with them. That hollow sound you're describing, which I attribute to blades cutting hide and flesh, or a loud whack when I've screwed up and hit the scapula.
    My bet is he'll live. Sucks to hit one and lose it, we've all been there and felt that low to the gut sucker punch feeling. Tough to shake off. Best of luck for the rest of the season.

13. Limbhanger

Dislikes Received:
    Not disagreeing with your entire post, but have to disagree with the sound as a chest cavity has a very distinctive sound to me, which I thought I heard, and if so, obviously too low, so not disagreeing there. Just as you said shoulder or bone hits will have a loud crack, just as hitting a deer in solid meat only, guts, or chest cavity all have different sounds to me.

What does it sound like when arrow hits deer?

You can however tell by the sound the arrow makes when it's hits the body cavity whether it's a good chest hit or gut hit. A chest hit will sound like a solid thud and a little echo, a gut shot will sound more like a pop with a deeper echo. Usually a heart shot deer will "mule" kick as soon as it is hit.Oct 10, 2007

14. fowcbler

fowcbler Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    So as it stands, I have only shot 1 deer. It was a solid double lung with a Heart skimming.
    Sound it made was a loud slap/pop noise...definitely no thud and echo. No mule kick, and in fact the way he bolted it was like an arrow didnt even pierce his body. He just reacted to sound of bow, and bolted.
    So not sure what sound they should make, but that was my one and only experience so far.

15. Mod-it

Mod-it Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I've shot several more elk than deer with a bow so the majority of my experience is when hitting an elk. I wouldn't think it's too much different though.
    I've heard only two types of sounds when the arrow hits. The loud "whack!" of hitting substantial bone, and that unique BH & arrow noise of hitting hide and flesh. A hunting partner once shot a cow and overjudged the yardage, the arrow went through the backstraps over the top of the spine. It made the same noise to me as hitting through the lungs even though it was a solid meat hit. I have no word I feel that describes the sound very well, but everyone knows the sound I mean that has shot an animal with an arrow. It is uniquely different. I would probably describe it as a hollow thump type sound of sorts, but there is also a flesh rendering sound that goes with it.
    I've never hit back into the guts, so possibly that does make a different noise I'd notice if I had experienced that. I was close by when a hunting partner shot an elk that was quartering to him harder than he realized and when he shot it behind the shoulder the arrow made both sounds. That unique sound when the BH cuts hide and flesh when it went in behind the shoulder, and then the loud whack sound of hitting bone when it stopped in the far rear leg bone.
    Perhaps you have much better attuned hearing, that's certainly possible. I can honestly say that you're the first I've ever heard or read that says they can tell where the hit was by the sound. Most need to see the hit, that's why lighted nocks are so darn popular. I don't say that to mock you or try to claim you aren't right either, I've simply never noticed it myself and haven't heard anyone else say they can. I'm actually envious that you have that ability and I'm apparently oblivious to it.