Climbing sticks

Discussion in 'Equipment Reviews' started by Nick Lewandowski, Oct 10, 2021.

1. Nick Lewandowski

Nick Lewandowski Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    So after getting in to a swamp that i know that holds deer. i was in a ground blind yesterday. and honestly I'm not to fond of ground blinds. So I thought this morning about a hang on setup but with removable climbing sticks. The climbing sticks would also be useful for setting trail cameras at a height they cant be tampered with.
    I've got a $300 budget combined hang on and climbing sticks. Also this is all going on public land so I don't to be in a whole ton if somehow they end up growing legs and walk off. I'm pretty sure I know which stand I'm going with so this leaves me with 200 to work with for the climbing sticks. Screw-in steps won't work. Also would like them to be as compact as possible.
    I've looked into the saddle setup and unfortunately I just cant afford it at this time.

So does anyone have any recommendations?

2. Wedes

Wedes Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I use muddy 20 inch pro stick and they are great

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Check out Novix treestands, they also sell climbing sticks. Top end of your budget, but are great. Can also find discount codes for them. For the best bang for your buck, can't beat API Huntin sticks. Come in a 3 pack and think I paid around $99. For them. Best stick I have found for the money. But probably very hard to find. The muddy pro sticks mentioned above^^^^ are also a great choice.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

4. Nick Lewandowski

Dislikes Received:
    Awesome thanks guys!

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

THEHUNTERPUSHSTIXSGUY likes this.
  5. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    If you're hunting public and investing in a good stand and set of sticks, I would recommend pulling them down after every sit. That's the big advantage to lightweight, adjustable, mobile gear. You can spend a little bit more and not worry about people stealing them.

In your budget, I think a 4 pack of the original Novix sticks is a great option. https://novixoutdoors.com/collections/climbing-sticks-1/products/climbing-stick-4-piece

6. diyhunter

diyhunter Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Same. I’ve had the same set for about 5 years. I like the fact the rope is tied into the stick; no need to carry an extra strap for each one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. NEporcupine

NEporcupine Newb

Dislikes Received:
    There is no one perfect option, it is always a matter of what works for you. However I am in the same situation and have tried several products now. I just got these “stealth steps, 20ft ladder” from amazon. I kind of like it. The pro is that it is very compact and I can stuff it in my pack. However the weight would be a con. Just giving you options.

8. Nick Lewandowski

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks all keeping my options open may not be able to pull the trigger on this until after the season. My truck has to have a few minor repairs. So that is going to completely blow my budget for this. But without my truck I can't do anything. Brakes and rotors luckily. So hopefully work keeps me busy enough that I can do this before season ends.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

9. mt fighter

mt fighter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Plus one for novix. First year using sticks as I switched to saddle setup. Got the novix mini double last Friday just in time for my weekend trip. They are super light and bite really good into the tree. I didn’t use any aiders as I was still getting used to the process and I got plenty high enough and killed a deer second day.

10. Skunkworkx

Skunkworkx Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Little more heavy, but just got the XOP steps. They lock together too.

4pk . 3 step $169 @ Scheels...for the plain gray.

I'll be doing the rope mod this spring ;)

11. jonderrs7

jonderrs7 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have some old API aluminum sticks that are cut down to 20" but have 18" aiders on the bottom. they also have the dyneema rope mod instead of buckle straps