Newbie Question: iPhone vs Camcorder vs Camera

Discussion in 'Videography & Photography' started by Brian Walters, Oct 16, 2021.

1. Brian Walters

Brian Walters Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I’m just starting to film hunts. I’m trying to find the right balance of capabilities. My kids are 8, 5, 4, and 1 and my son who is 5 is getting very interested in my hunting. Now having watched BHOD he loves seeing my little homemade videos from the stand…although the kid is impatient waiting for me to shoot something! Anyway, I digress…here’s my dilemma…

iPhone

This is what I’m currently using with a $32 Realtree screw in mount. Super basic, not the most versatile or mobile on the tree at only 34”, hate the adjustment knob, but I use my iPhone in 4k and don’t spend a bunch if extra $$. I obviously can’t zoom and get great video beyond 40-ish yards, my filming range is rather limited, but I do l get good video up until pretty close to shooting hours. I also slap on it a little plug and play Saramonic SmartMic Di Mini Condenser for like $30. Minimal investment. Yes, pain in the butt and limits in terms of arms and filming capabilities.

IMG_9402.JPG

IMG_9403.JPG

Camcorder

I’m having a hard time seeing the justification of a camcorder with strictly video for the cost. Is it strictly just ease of use? Does it perform better than an iPhone in lower light? Far superior zoom? Ability to do second cameras (which I don’t currently do being new to this)? Remote controlling? To spend another $1,200+ to replace my iPhone is it that much of an upgrade? I’m missing something…I have to be.

Camera

If I’m looking to upgrade from using the iPhone this seems like the way to go? Yes, that is indeed a question mark. I’m Ron Burgundy? lol. From what I’ve gathered from reading pages of couple year old threads here is that cameras have a learning curve for use, potentially need lens swap outs, and much more rigging to do it “right”. At the same time it seems to me like it’s less cost than a camcorder that strictly does video and you have the added capability to take photos with it. Mind you, I’m not a photographer by any means and all the talk about shutter speed, lenses, fps, etc is Chinese to me. And I won’t get into the black hole that is what type of camera, but it just seems to me that all the added versatility is worth it? Yes, thatis a question mark again. Anyway, is the added complexity for filming that much of a drawback? Is it the lenses and putzing with screens?

Cameras Part Deux

I’ve searched far and wide reading here about Canon and Sony, but not Nikon. I’ve read Nikon is the best in terms of using other brands lenses. I’ve also read reviews about them being a top brand used for wildlife photography and 4k video. But it seems no one here mentions them at all. Is there a reason or is that just happenstance?

Sorry for the newb questions. Just trying to get a lay of the land before making any investments.

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

2. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Getting a mini fluid head for your iphone would be my next step, and then a tree arm of sorts like perhaps the Fourth Arrow Talon. If you start liking the aspect of filming hunts - I'd then look to get into the compact style camcorders like the Canon G series (what I'm familiar with). My G30 is years old but shoots quality footage for what I need - someday plan on splurging for the G50 to get the 4K ability but cost holds me off jumping to it right away.

Brian Walters and Bama Beck like this.
  3. Brian Walters

Brian Walters Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah, looking at more range of motion for my iPhone setup so am looking at the 4th arrow carbon 3.0 setup with the iPhone attachment to start. If I really like filming I can always add the attachment for a camcorder. So right now I think I’m sticking with the phone before I really jump in for a bigger investment.

I’m currently keeping tabs on the Panasonic HC WXF991 4K camcorder with the PIP option with the second built in camera to see if I can come across a good deal. Seems one can be had between $550-$700 depending on what accessories come with it.

Bama Beck likes this.
  4. Bama Beck

Bama Beck Newb

Dislikes Received:
    What camcorder would you suggest in the 1K range for self filming for a beginner?

B. Palmer

5. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I’d go Canon personally solely because I’m familiar with them. Their G series, get as new of one as you can.

Brian Walters and Bama Beck like this.
  6. Bama Beck

Bama Beck Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Ok thank you

B. Palmer