Tree saddle hunting...

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by mikerock85, Jun 25, 2014.

1. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    I believe it's a cam-buckle strap. I've seen people who have replaced the strap it comes with in favor of a ratchet strap for added stability.

2. Tink-a-Link

Tink-a-Link Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm hoping that's correct. I replaced the ratchet strap on my muddy camera arm with an old LW strap for the noise control.
    The ring of steps will be delivered today and I'll be hunting off of them tomorrow evening. Thanks for the insight JZ.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

3. Oly44

Oly44 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    You could also look at a OCB strap. A lot of guys who run steps will use one. They say it get them really tight compared to other options out there without the bulk. I have a few steps with the OCB but haven’t used it yet.

https://doublesteps.com/product/ring-of-steps-strap-with-separate-buckle-ocb/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have an OCB strap on my DIY platform. It works incredibly well and is way quieter than the ratchet strap.

5. Oly44

Oly44 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Not exactly saddle related but something I could use from the saddle.

I won a browning AB3 in 308 last night at our whitetail unlimited banquet. Im jacked! Lol. Can’t wait to get it setup

[​IMG]

6. Swamp Stalker

Swamp Stalker Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Yesterday, I ran into the first instance where I really needed sticks instead of my existing climber/platform. I was in a swamp, right near a major funnel. There were a few straight trees, but they had shagbark and would have been extremely loud to climb. The other trees were all nasty and angled too much for my climber. I think I'm gonna change this offseason because I really didn't like that. I had to go elsewhere and hunt a different spot.

7. Tink-a-Link

Tink-a-Link Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Costly(kind of) PSA,
    Don't, if you're needing to go through some relatively thick brush to get to a stand location, attach your bow to your back pack and carry sticks and platform as a method to reduce weight on the pack... Unless your quiver holds arrow way tighter than my fuse does. I lost three arrows, two Montec M3s and a rage hypodermic this morning because I'm an idiot that didn't think it through. Lesson learned and new broadheads enroute.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

8. Oly44

Oly44 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Heading to the woods this morning. It’s going to be chilly, 35° here right now. But I doubt I need my light walking in with how bright the moon is. Which is nice.

pastorjim08 likes this.
  9. Oly44

Oly44 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    All setup. Walk in was a breeze with the horse trail for a good portion and the help of the moon. [​IMG]

Justin and cantexian like this.
  10. muzzyman88

muzzyman88 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'm way late to this conversation.. as always.

I think the saddles are really taking off this past year or two because all of these companies have put a ton of time and effort into refining the original saddle ideas and making them more user friendly, comfortable and above all, safer. Tethrd seems to have gotten the ball rolling with their mainstream, social media approach to marketing them. Now there are many options for very good, high quality saddles.

If you're a lock on guy, I can't really see many disadvantages to a saddle. In my eyes, its better in about every way, except maybe a touch of comfort. However, some of these new saddle makers are making that a non issue as well. They are just another tool in your bag. Some use them sparingly, while others may go full bore into it and use it exclusively.

I myself am about to bite the bullet over the winter and get setup with saddle gear. Here in PA, we deal with mountains and a lot of rugged steep terrain. Lugging treestands around is just not fun, especially as I get older. Being able to run and gun with 10lbs or less, worth of gear, instead of over 20 would be a godsend for me. So weight reduction is a huge plus.

Safety is another. If you do it properly while climbing, etc., its basically impossible to fall and hit the ground. Yes, you can slip on a climbing stick and be caught up by the linesmans rope, but that applies to hang ons as well. But you're still not going to hit the ground. The ropes, etc, that guys are using for saddle hunting are ropes that rock and mountain climbers use. They're incredible strong, durable stuff and people trust their lives to those ropes. Those folks are putting far more strain and wear and tear on those ropes than a saddle hunter ever will.

Being able to move with the deer, keeping yourself behind the tree you're in is pretty nice too. As someone mentioned, saddle hunting is something you need to start early with, get comfortable and get a system down. You have to know you're gear well and practice all year, before you ever take it to the woods to hunt. That being said, I'm looking forward to jumping into arena next year and opening up more flexibility in my hunting.

pastorjim08 likes this.
  11. Oly44

Oly44 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Morning was cut short. Pheasant hunters were out in full force today.

12. Westfinger

Westfinger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I ordered a complete set up from Tethrd. I'm looking forward to giving it a go when the opportunity presents itself.

13. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I really need to improve the way im carrying my stuff. What are people using to pack sticks, platform etc.? What backpack? I saw where a guy was using eberlestock x2 and badlands 2200 but i think that those would just be too big for me to carry. I literally crawl under bush holly and other thick underbrush at times. I need something low profile. I have a molle accessory pouch that connects to side of saddle that holds grunt tube, license, bow rope, knife, milkweed etc. so i dont need much storage. Only think i need to carry on back is sticks, platform, rattling antlers, and possibly upper outer layer. I was thinking of this one but wanted to get some feedback from you guys. 7DB0F095-C031-41E6-B764-5205E6F10BA3.png

14. cantexian

Dislikes Received:
    I have the Badlands 2200. It is not too big for going through thick stuff as long as it is cinched down well.

Shocker99 likes this.
  15. pastorjim08

pastorjim08 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    If you have a predator platform, tethrd makes a pack especially for the platform. It also has molle loops that you could attach most anything to. I think the packs you mentioned are too large and kind of defeat the purpose of being mobile

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Shocker99 likes this.
  16. cantexian

Dislikes Received:
    Pro tip: your tether can do double duty as a deer drag. Just clip it to your belt.

Attached Files:

17. Oly44

Oly44 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I disagree with that. I run a badlands super day pack. Yes it’s larger but especially the last couple hunts it’s been great to have. Being able to pack layers and extra gear in. Even early season it has worked well hauling in my 4 LW sticks. I like having a waist belt. It’s a huge help in carrying a load

That being said , I am moving over to a one sticking setup. So I could probably downsize my pack a little but I’ll save some money and run it for now.

Shocker99 likes this.
  18. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    I'm running the Eberlestock X2 and really like the pack, but when its fully loaded down it's heavy as hell. Keep in mind I'm carrying camera gear with me in addition to all of my saddle equipment. I would bet my pack weighs a solid 35-40 pounds, if not more. I'm certainly not crawling under stuff, but I do go through some pretty thick cover from time to time.

With that said, the Eberlestock rides like isn't even there once it's on and adjusted properly. It's truly amazing how much lighter the load feels on a good pack versus what I've used in the past.

In my pack I typically have the following:
    • Sony AX100 camera
    • Fourth Arrow base & shoulder
    • Fourth Arrow triple arm w/fluid head
    • Rode VideoMic Pro
    • 2 x GoPro Hero 9's
    • Misc GoPro mounts
    • 2 x external battery packs
    • Extra camera batteries
    • Extra hat, gloves & facemask
    • Grunt call & doe bleat
    • Knife
    • Allen wrenches
    • Face paint
    • Headlamp
    • Extra release
    • Gear ties
    • 2 x gear hooks
    • Yeti bottle w/coffee or water
    • Snacks (with no almonds)
    • Buck Bomb deer piss of some sort
    • Boot covers
    • Extra disposable hand warmers
    • 3 x Lone Wolf sticks
    • 2 x 1-step aiders
    • Tethrd Phantom saddle w/2 sys haulers packed with all sorts of junk. Ropes, hand saw, Hys strap, s-biners, hero clip, bow rope
    • Tethrd Predator XL platform
    • Rattling antlers
    • Jacket
    All of that just to try and kill a stupid deer. :lol:

Shocker99 and Swamp Stalker like this.
  19. cantexian

Dislikes Received:
    Might as well throw in a hammock and spend the night if you plan on hunting the next morning. Sometimes, I think it would be fun to film my hunts. Then I see gear lists like this and realize I have to take all of the out plus drag a deer if I am successful. I think pictures with the phone will work just fine for me. :lol:

Swamp Stalker likes this.
  20. Swamp Stalker

Swamp Stalker Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Bruh......you don't use an acorn cruncher or nod-stopper?

cantexian and Shocker99 like this.