Team 11-The Wa11 Hangers

Discussion in '2021 Deer Contest' started by Kyle Rayburn, Aug 30, 2021.

1. Old West

Old West Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck! Hope the deer are moving plenty for ya.

Bullridnfool likes this.
  2. Bullridnfool

Bullridnfool Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    GL Kyle. Im on the far sw corner of the property.

3. Bullridnfool

Dislikes Received:
    Alright so if rain settles ill run out tom. Otherwise be Saturday morning and all day sunday. Just not sure where yet.

Suncrest08 likes this.
  4. Suncrest08

Suncrest08 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Can’t sleep, be in a tree tom in Ohio!

Bullridnfool and Old West like this.
  5. Old West

Old West Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've now got pictures of decent bucks hounding does. I'm hunting Saturday morning. Think it would be better to use a small buck decoy or a doe decoy?

Where I'm going to put the decoy, it can be seen from hundreds of yards away.

Bullridnfool likes this.
  6. Bullridnfool

Dislikes Received:
    Dont know much but my opinion buck.

Old West likes this.
  7. Bullridnfool

Dislikes Received:
    So planned on hunting this am. Woke up coughing and hacking bad and cant breathe. Bad cold on top of allergies, sinus problems. My sneak out early afternoon to make a set for All day tomorrow

8. Bullridnfool

Dislikes Received:
    So if i wake up im going to go to the public spot i shot my buck last year. Ill have to go into the tree edge abit more and hopefully have some move by. Plan for an all day sit.

Old West likes this.
  9. mhouck06

mhouck06 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats on the deer guys! I got back last Sunday. Got caught up on what I could, spent some time with the family and was able to get 3 sits in the woods. Not much action. Did have a new buck show up while I was gone, hopefully Ill get some eyes on him soon. Was supposed to head to ohio this week but I am thinking I am just going to hunt around home. Had a great trip in Wyoming, came home with a cow and a ton of great memories!

8F00E9F8-D172-4E72-A27B-CF4B95240FE8.jpg IMG_4015.JPEG IMG_4331.JPG Resized_20211015_072953.jpg

Last edited: Oct 30, 2021
  10. PaBowhunter

PaBowhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I made it to Kansas yesterday afternoon and put up 3 stands today, hopefully I'll be hunting one of them in the morning, if the weather holds out. I glassed some fields last night and this morning and saw 5 bucks total cruising for does, nothing real big though.

Also, the landowner showed me another 640 acres he bought that I could hunt so I'm pretty excited to scout it out and hunting something new. He said it hasn't been hunted in years, we'll see.

11. Old West

Old West Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Had one of the best hunts of my life yesterday afternoon. Got in the stand just before 4pm and action started 15 minutes later. It didn't stop the rest of the hunt. I watched 12+ bucks chase does all night. None of the bucks fought each other. The just took turns chasing. 6+ bucks were 120+ and three were 140s 150s. Really nice bucks. With that first hot doe running around 85-150 yards away, none of the bucks had any interest in my calls.

It was one of the most exciting hunts I've ever had, but was also frustrating being that close to so many nice deer and not being able to close the deal. I saw every good buck we've got on camera except for one. A 6 pt walked right beneath me and he's the only deer I could have shot. Pretty crazy considering I watched deer for over 2 hours running every which way.

Super thankful to have that experience, but now I can't wait to get back out there!

12. PaBowhunter

PaBowhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Wow, sounds like you had an exciting hunt Old West. Hope you can close the deal on one of those bucks.

Old West likes this.
  13. Kyle Rayburn

Kyle Rayburn Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Deer camp was a bust lol only shooter I had a chance at was a big ten that was held up in a clearcut right off the side of the road. He was coming out to an oak flat every night as I drove by and going back into the cut on the way to my stand. Two evenings I set up 10 yards off the road but he never showed. His doe would feed under me for 30 minutes before daylight and kept looking back the whole time and just never came out. They kicked my butt last week. Now onto November and hoping to get lucky because honestly I don’t have the slightest clue on what to do next hahaha

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

DH Outdoorsman and Suncrest08 like this.
  14. Bullridnfool

Dislikes Received:
    So i never made it out last weekend. Was feeling pretty rough all weekend. Monday night went to check cameras and had a nice 8 on my food plot. Went out last night saw a spike. Going to try to leave early tom and set up on the public i shot my buck last year. Hunt there all weekend. Got the 11th thru the 14th for all day sits.

Old West likes this.
  15. Suncrest08

Suncrest08 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats on the cow, sounds like a great trip! Old west sounds like a killer sit, too bad you couldn’t connect on that 10 Kyle. Keep grinding guys now is the time anything can happen! I’m heading to Illinois for a week, leaving Friday at 3am. I’ll keep y’all posted!

mhouck06 and Old West like this.
  16. Bullridnfool

Dislikes Received:
    Alright im up getting ready. Something is getting murdered this weekend. Good luck guys. Let get this wild 2 weeks rolling.

DH Outdoorsman and mhouck06 like this.
  17. Bullridnfool

Dislikes Received:
    Im up been here since 5 saw 3 deer 9n way in.

18. DH Outdoorsman

DH Outdoorsman Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats on the elk, what an adventure. I'm leaving this week to Colorado myself for 3rd rifle elk cow hunt.

mhouck06 likes this.
  19. DH Outdoorsman

DH Outdoorsman Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hey team, sorry I haven't been active lately on the chats.
    Here's an update, was able to get another shot at an doe the following week where I gut shot the doe last week. well this time I shot high and knicked her spin and missed lung completely. she drop on the spot and was trying to get up but her front legs weren't working, she then just bedding there for at least 5 minutes looking around and I was hoping for she would just pass away, next thing she did was get right up and and was slowly walking away, tried to knock another arrow which she seen me then and she bolted.. UGH!! I got really upset with myself and just packed up camp and went home..
    But I haven't given up yet... Archery season is technically over here, but that shouldn't effect me since when i hunt I'm usually the only hunter there.

I'll be heading to Colorado thursday/friday... I have a 3rd rifle cow tag.. first time Applying and first time everything for me.. 13th - 19th unit 86, not a high success rate unit but I'm going for the learning experience and hopefully get an elk.. on the way back home I'm planning to swing by Lake Meredith by Amarillo and hunt Mulley's for a few days.. Not sure if I should take my bow since its rifle season.. So the next time I'll be back to the public forest is late Nov.. hopefully the 2nd rut will be in full swing..

Good luck to everybody.. DH

Bullridnfool and mhouck06 like this.
  20. m3shadle

m3shadle Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Getting back from my vacation and finally have access to a computer. Beautiful week of hunting in SW Wisconsin. I was successful on my first spot and stalk buck. Pretty cool experience. Took almost 2 hours from first sight of the buck. I've always been impatient in the past on opportunities like this, either moving to fast, not setting up for the proper wind etc. This time I was patient, and I was happy with the result. Its no giant, in fact its the smallest buck I've shot in 10 years, but one of the more gratifying deer I've been able to harvest, because I was able to get past the many mistakes I've made in these types of opportunities. I'll post it in the scorecard thread soon. looks like it'll be right around 100". IMG-1625.JPG IMG-1622.JPG IMG-1626.jpg