Team 9 - Tag & Drag

Discussion in '2021 Deer Contest' started by Holt, Aug 30, 2021.

1. archbunk

archbunk Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Bummer, hard qtr away and 2nd rib back sounds like make have clipped lung and rest is muscle blood. I agree with Holt there is a lot of blood. Was shot center of body?

2. archbunk

Dislikes Received:
    Hunted all day today. Saw same spike 3 times throughout the day. He bred a doe as well pretty close and in thick stuff. Had a nice 8 trot through but couldn’t get him to stop in my shooting lanes. Good sit over all

Holt likes this.
  3. gltomp

gltomp Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Home. Hunted all day, saw a bunch of deer, no shots. Been awake 20.5 hours.
    Good night team members.

vanfossen and Holt like this.
  4. vanfossen

vanfossen Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Spending time with family today and giving the property a break after all the commotion yesterday. Prolly shoot my bow some more to build confidence back and watch some football

Mathews HTR, Sword 5 pin, Truball release, Goldtip XT hunter 300, QAD 125 gr Swept, QAD rest

gltomp and Holt like this.
  5. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I took the morning off to sleep in. I will be heading out around 11 or 12 and hunt the rest of the day. I'm running out of time to shoot a rut buck, back to work this week.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

gltomp likes this.
  6. sknox8

sknox8 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Well with my rutcation coming to a end today. I spent probably 55-60 hours on stand this week. Seen a few bucks I would of been happy to get a opportunity at. Passed some 2 yr olds that I hope can make it through the upcoming gun season on Nov 20th. Had to do some chores around the house today and hadn't planned on hunting this evening, watch some football and hang with the kids. As I am walking through the dining room. I look out in the field and see 3 big bodied deer. Could see the 1 was a doe. Ran and grabbed my binoculars and seen 1 was a big buck. Ran and threw some camo on and grabbed my bow. He was 105 yards out and a truck drove by and stopped. Blew him out of field. The direction he was running i was pretty confident where he would end up. Jumped in the truck and tried to sneak into a position to where I could try to call at him. Almost got to where I wanted seen him out bumping the couple doe that were in field. I called at him and pulled him to probably 40 yards but the pines that were my cover were blocking any shot. He must of caught some wind and blew a couple time and ran back to 100 yards out or so. Was a fun little excitement for the last hour. Only have had 1 pic of him this season

7. sknox8

sknox8 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
  8. gltomp

gltomp Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    No deer Saturday, but had a great time.
    It was a balmy 21° morning.[​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Christopher Jay, Holt and sknox8 like this.
  9. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Glad to see all of you getting out hunting! Enjoy the time.

Just a friendly reminder to all team mates. When you shoot a deer for the contest, we need for the score card.

- team 9
    - 2 pics of you, deer, and bow all in same pic and need 2 different pics.
    -Date of kill
    -Time of kill.

Please remember for contest entry.

gltomp likes this.
  10. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I finished my mini vacation yesterday with taking a small buck at about 2:15. I was out meat hunting and he fit the bill. I'm put of buck tags for now until rifle season. 20211107_150556.jpg

11. archbunk

Dislikes Received:
    You've had an eventful season! Glad you were able to add another to the freezer

Holt likes this.
  12. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I was trying to get a certain amount of meat for the year. I lost all the meat from my big buck, so that set me back. Didn't want to come up short this year, so didn't put much for standards for meat. Felt alittle relief now that I got hom. Now I can just hunt and enjoy it, and not put pressure on my self to get meat. Most of my hunts for mostly be to find a deer for next year. Might get back to waterfowl hunting too!

gltomp and Christopher Jay like this.
  13. archbunk

Dislikes Received:
    My next sit should be this Saturday as long as the rain holds off. Supposed to rain Thursday and Friday, then chance of snow and rain Saturday. I'll hunt in the snow, but may not hunt in the rain unless it's a drizzle. High is only 39 so it will be cold if it's raining. Gun season starts the 15th here. I have 3 kids with tags. Not sure if the 2 younger ones will want to go out. Oldest son can pretty much hunt by himself. Will likely carry the bow with me either way. Kids will get first chance at a deer though.

sknox8 and gltomp like this.
  14. archbunk

Dislikes Received:
    I know what you mean about the pressure of putting meat in the freezer. Family of 6 here so we go through it fast. Although I still have some meat left over from last year and my oldest son shot a small doe during youth season. I'm tempted to just take my gun out during firearm to bring the odds more in my favor to get a deer. But I really want to break my 3 year drought with shooting anything with a bow. Especially since I got my new bow this past spring.

gltomp likes this.
  15. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Yes the struggle is real. At the end of the day, you got to do what you need to do. And I know what you mean about the bow, it's just a different experience all around and doesn't compare to a rifle kill.

gltomp likes this.
  16. vanfossen

Dislikes Received:
    Back on stand, searched neighbors property for that buck and nothing so due diligence is done. Must not have been fatal

Mathews HTR, Sword 5 pin, Truball release, Goldtip XT hunter 300, QAD 125 gr Swept, QAD rest

sknox8 and gltomp like this.
  17. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Great job on putting in the effort. Now kill a slob tonight! Good luck

gltomp likes this.
  18. vanfossen

Dislikes Received:
    Well exciting evening, 4ish buck came blazing threw bedding area chasing a doe. Then later 4 does walked by at 25 yards. Then as they worked past me a buck headed them off and chased them around and into the field. Then shortly later when it was dark another one came threw by my stand. He was so mad he didn’t even take a trail he just plowed threw the pine branches lol. My stand is almost perfect. Right between 2 doe brothels on a tree line dividing them. I walk a creek to the base of my tree and river to my back so thermals suck right into it. And where they cross from bedding areas is at base of my tree

gltomp, sknox8 and Holt like this.
  19. fowcbler

fowcbler Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    So I have seen this phrase used a few times and have tried to figure out what is meant by it, but to no avail.
    What is meant by "Thermals" here?

20. vanfossen

Dislikes Received:
    So thermals are like air currents is prolly best way I can describe it. Moves like water so in evening when temp drops your thermals drop to lowest points usually towards ravines, ditches, base of tree etc. in the morning when sun rises so does the temp so naturally your thermals rise straight up. If you have high steady winds like over prolly 6 mph thermals aren’t a huge factor, just play the wind.

gltomp likes this.