Team 14 - DoeThraki

Discussion in '2021 Deer Contest' started by sycamoretwitch, Aug 30, 2021.

1. BuckHunterUnlimited

BuckHunterUnlimited Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Great hunt!

Sent from my Lone Wolf treestand using Bowhunting.com Forums

2. BuckHunterUnlimited

Dislikes Received:
    Sat the back bedroom box blind this evening. Urban bucks are entertaining the neighborhood does. Looking to catch one cruising my 1 acre wooded lot. Neighbors own 35 acres to my east so they bed on my ridge. Did not see anything tonight, but there is a 10 pointer cruising.

Tink-a-Link, sycamoretwitch and Happy like this.
  3. sycamoretwitch

sycamoretwitch Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Alright I lied... I watched my Colts last night - stayed up late - had a few beverages but not too many because I was hunting in the morning and then decided to sleep in. Lazy ass!

Game plan today is to hang a 2 new sets on 2 different properties. One for my own benefit and another for my uncle who's coming down from Northern IN next weekend to hunt with me. Then I'm going to go home and work around the house and fix my wife dinner for her sacrifice!! Ha.

Saturday and Sunday morning hunts are for sure happening - if I can find a way to get away for 2 afternoon sits I will hunt 4 times this weekend. We will see - busy day ahead.

4. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Hunting out at my brother's tonight boys. Let's see what happens

In Venatione Veritas

Happy and Heckler like this.
  5. Tink-a-Link

Tink-a-Link Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I posted this in the LFTS thread last night, but for any who missed it, here is the write-up of my hunt and recovery from Wednesday:

Story, finally.
    Shot at 8:40 am, looked pretty good to my eyes, perhaps a little forward, but when he only ran about 40 yards, stopped and I heard very labored breathing and a noise that sounded like a crash, I got really excited and started celebrating even though I didn't have visual confirmation of a downed animal. After about 45 minutes, I got out of the stand and started looking for blood. I found only two small drops near the impact site and no more. At that point, I went directly to the last "known" location, where I was hearing the heavy breathing and the supposed collapse. Being talller/thick grass, i grid searched the immediate surroundings for about an hour, both looking for blood and looking for the body. I found no more blood, no arrow, and no dead deer.

After that, I started calling the various trackers in Minnesota, one was already booked, one was on a business trip, but suggested a guy in my home town to call who is just getting started but had a number successful tracks this year. When Trenton arrived on the scene, the dog, a rat terrier, got on the scent immediately and we started following his nose. About 100 yards later we started finding frothy/bubbly blood suggesting a single lung hit, which corresponded to what I thought of my shot. About 75 yards after that blood, I hear Trenton call out, "we've got a live deer" and he took off running towards it. The buck is struggling to run and Trenton almost catches him, but it escape his grasp and runs into some thicker cover.

Now we both were kind of perplexed as to the proper approach, the coyotes in our area are pretty quick to get on dead game, so we didn't want to wait overnight, he got on the phone with a couple guys from the tracking network to ask some questions and it was decided to push the deer to exhaustion, tackle it and put a knife in it. I called my dad, he called his son and we were back on it an hour later. Trenton and I pushed through the slough in knee to waist deep water with his son on one side and my dad on the other waiting for it to exit. Thankfully, after pushing it several times, it simply gave up and we got a knife into it and ended the nearly 8 hour saga. Trenton and I were both soaking wet in 40 degree weather, but smiling from ear to ear!

I found the noc end of my arrow, about 4 inches, in the chest cavity while butchering it today, but still don't know where the rest of it is and likely won't ever find it. How it didn't come out while gutting it is anyone's guess.

My first buck with a bow and a story for a lifetime. Hopefully never to be repeated! But a great outcome nonetheless.

foodplot19 and sycamoretwitch like this.
  6. BuckHunterUnlimited

Dislikes Received:

7. sycamoretwitch

Dislikes Received:
    Great story Tink and congrats again! Well done.

8. sycamoretwitch

Dislikes Received:
    Heading out this morning. Got my long time hunting partner and friend going with me this morning - we have a lease together but I’m taking him to my other property today. He’s got a private land spot that hasn’t been productive, our lease hasn’t been real productive - so I said come with me to my private land spot and maybe one of us can get it done this morning!

9. foodplot19

foodplot19 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I’m killing. If I keep going without seeing deer, all I’ll be killing is time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. foodplot19

Dislikes Received:
    That’s awesome, Tink!!

11. foodplot19

Dislikes Received:
    Dang, this time change is rough.
    Headed to the stand.
    Good Luck, everyone!!

Heckler likes this.
  12. BuckHunterUnlimited

Dislikes Received:
    Sat two mornings and one evening in the world’s largest urban box blind and I have, unusually, seen no movement.

IMG_1824.JPG

13. sycamoretwitch

Dislikes Received:
    Saturday morning - 3 bucks in chasing doe at 7:40 (it was still dark), another buck passing through 10 minutes later (7:50 still dark) - not another deer all morning...

Sunday morning - a really nice buck with a doe in the field 150 yards behind me. She brought him across the creek into the draw they come south they have to walk past my stand - they go north or west (came from the east) they're probably gone for ever... She took him away from me unfortunately.

I didn't hunt either afternoon or this morning... Back at it tomorrow morning.

foodplot19 and Happy like this.
  14. Tink-a-Link

Dislikes Received:
    Pretty quiet around here fellas, who's still hunting hard this week? Unfortunately I won't be out until Sunday at the earliest, probably next Thursday. Let's keep putting deer on the board!

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

foodplot19 likes this.
  15. BuckHunterUnlimited

Dislikes Received:
    Trying afternoon of the 10th, all day 11, 12 and afternoon of the 13th. Off the 17-20 Nov. Scheduled that far out for now.

Sent from my iPad using Bowhunting.com Forums

foodplot19 likes this.
  16. Tink-a-Link

Dislikes Received:
    Now we're talking!

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

17. foodplot19

Dislikes Received:
    I was out today and tomorrow. Family stuff today, rain tomorrow. Colder weather Thursday & Friday.

18. Happy

Happy Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I’m still getting after it. Spot I’ve been going has shady service so hard to post anything and have it go through. I’m going to get out this evening and tomorrow morning. It was slow yesterday morning. Saw one descent buck but he couldn’t be tempted to cross the creek and had a button buck put on a show for me at the scrape I was watching. Unfortunately I cannot hunt this weekend
    Making a road trip to Pittsburg for my sons birthday. I have maybe 3 hunts next week them our archery season is over until after Christmas.

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

19. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Just in a holding pattern right now. Waiting for cooler weather and peak rut. I have a doe lined up for harvest. Just looking for someone to put 120+ points on the board so I can pop a doe and put as back in first place. :p

20. Happy

Happy Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Tink-a-Link likes this.