Team 17 - Life At Full Draw

Discussion in '2021 Deer Contest' started by Shawn Clark, Aug 30, 2021.

1. opossumhunterNC

opossumhunterNC Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Ive got about 5 acres that didn’t get burnt

2. opossumhunterNC

Dislikes Received:
    He didn’t even call the fire department. He just let it burn until somebody driving down the highway saw it like 2 hours later. He “thought it would go out on its own”

3. Shawn Clark

Shawn Clark Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    That is total craziness. You ought to be able to get some kind of compensation for that, and he should at least be fined and or possibly jailed.

4. opossumhunterNC

Dislikes Received:
    Doubtful, he doesn’t have liability insurance and the sum total of his assets are a run down single wide, 1/4 acre, and a 20-year old beater minivan. My insurance would probably cover my deer stands and the gear I had out there as personal property stored off site but the value probably isn’t enough to justify having the claim on my record. And really for me, missing out on hunting the rut and the last 2 months of deer season is the most substantial loss and insurance ain’t going to cover that. I did have a few clearings where I planted some small food plots and those seem to have survived so it might not be a total loss and it wasn’t a really hot fire so the pines should be fine and maybe the hardwoods will make it as well. The biggest issue is that there it practically wiped out all the brush so bedding and ground level cover for deer is pretty much non-existent.

5. wibowhntr

wibowhntr Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    That totally sucks man. The only positive is that there will be new growth which will benefit all wildlife.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

6. Shawn Clark

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck to everyone this weekend and next week! I'm expecting to see some big deer go down!!!!!

Josh Myers likes this.
  7. opossumhunterNC

Dislikes Received:
    First attempt at hunting public land tonight… made two mistakes so far. First was that I planned to hunt this really promising looking area about 2 miles back in the woods called “wilderness island”. Checked the satellite and looked all good but halfway to the area I picked out i discovered why they called it wilderness ISLAND. There is about a 50 yd wide stretch of waist deep water separating it from the land. You can’t see it on the satellite so I guess the arial photos were taken during a drout. Had to settle for a different spot that isn’t quite as good as I hoped but it is still kind of a pinch point.

Second mistake I made was due To being so used to hunting private land with nobody else on it that I completely forgot to bring an “I’m not a deer orange” vest and hat. Realized it at the car but thought about it for a moment and figured it wasn’t that big of a deal since rifle season doesn’t start until next week and I can’t imagine anybody would mistake me for a deer within bow range. Headed in and just as I was climbing up the tree I heard a kapaw a little ways off in the distance. That’s when I remembered about the muzzleloader season that falls between bow and rifle season… oops. I’m already up in a tree though and I figure it will be more dangerous to try and walk back out during prime time then to just stay put and finish the hunt so I’m just going to stay put until after last shooting light then walk out after the orange army abandons their posts.

blackbear and Josh Myers like this.
  8. bucksnbears

bucksnbears Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Possum, your world sure to **** fast. Lol (kinda).
    I sat this morning and evening.
    Young bucks going bonkers but nothing big.
    Really strange year. Got quite a few (decent) bucks and 2 I wanna kill but they ain't primed yet. I expect 2_3 days from now things will get better.

wibowhntr likes this.
  9. wibowhntr

Dislikes Received:
    First chasing today and it was a 4 or 6 pointer. He was chasing a doe on the neighboring property. Then I had 5 does come from that property at 40 yards. Shortly after I hear grunting and he comes that small buck.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

10. blackbear

blackbear Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Possum, keep up the effort turn it into fate, bucks fighting last night and this morning, watched as I had my coffee.

Sent from my iPad using Bowhunting
    .com Forums

11. opossumhunterNC

Dislikes Received:
    I think there is an old saying about that… something along the lines of: when life gives you lemons, shoot a deer and make a marinade for the backstraps.

blackbear and wibowhntr like this.
  12. Shawn Clark

Dislikes Received:
    Saw a couple 2 year olds this evening, a spike, and 3 does.

13. wibowhntr

Dislikes Received:
    camo75 likes this.
  14. bucksnbears

Dislikes Received:
    Lol..love it!

15. Humpythahunter

Humpythahunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I’ve just got nothing going on here. Some does and that’s it. Not rutting yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

16. bucksnbears

Dislikes Received:
    Really slowed down here with this warm spell.

17. opossumhunterNC

Dislikes Received:
    It has been super slow around here too. Warm weather hasn’t made it this Far East yet so we’ve actually still been in a bit of a cold spell but it’s still been really slow. I was thinking it was the new moon but judging by my cell cams it’s been slow pretty much around the clock, even overnight. Pretty crazy, even the cameras I have set up on my golf course have been practically dead the last 4-5 days and that place is so chock full of deer that those cameras are normally blowing up and send me a new photo about every half hour or so even during the middle of the day.

Hopefully this being lazy and sleeping all day and night is starting to make them go stir crazy and they’re about to let loose and go buck wild with all that energy they’ve been saving up.

18. Shawn Clark

Dislikes Received:
    I just saw a little year and a half old buck this evening, that's it.

19. bucksnbears

Dislikes Received:
    I sat both sat/Sunday mornings in a tree. Both days very calm winds. I heard maybe 15 shots yesterday and 8 this morning where 10 years ago I'd hear easy 100+.

20. opossumhunterNC

Dislikes Received:
    Rifle season opens Saturday and around here the orange army usually does a really good job of making lots of noise and practicing poor scent control so I ought to get a few opportunities on the deer they scare off.

Shawn Clark likes this.