Team 5 - Texas Heart 5hot

Discussion in '2021 Deer Contest' started by Swamp Stalker, Aug 29, 2021.

1. alenhard15

alenhard15 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck guys... this weather coming this week has me thinking im gonna be sick on wednesday or thursday....

2. AaronB

AaronB Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Good morning. A fair amount of chasing happening this morning. Mostly out in our grass pretty far away. Saw 6 different bucks and one really good one out in the grass. Just a couple doe and that same smaller 8 that I’ve passed a number of times now that were in range. A couple other bucks were grunting and chasing inside the woods as i was walking out this morning as well. Only caught a glimpse of one of them, but it was a decent 10 pointer. Should be an awesome few days coming up. Heading out in the afternoon! Hoping today is the day.

3. dmax4me

dmax4me Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I’m back home. I only saw little bucks this weekend. I’m headed back to Ohio Thursday after work.

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

4. AaronB

AaronB Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Slower tonight. Only saw a 2.5 cruising the cattail edge and a 1.5 right at close of hours. To top it off, my neighbor shot my #2 tonight that I’ve been seeing over the past couple weeks. Oh well, plenty of other deer out there still! This buck was one of the reasons I was passing some others as I saw him 3 times on the hoof so might change my approach a bit. 4F0CFF76-7EFE-46CA-B597-52CD4F78191F.jpeg

Swamp Stalker, dmax4me and airenlow like this.
  5. dmax4me

Dislikes Received:
    Wow, what a stud.

6. Swamp Stalker

Swamp Stalker Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    If I saw your number 2 on the hoof, I'd probably drop a #2 in my pants!!

I get it though, it's a whole other world of whitetails in the Midwest! I can't wait to make it back out there in 2 years!

Brian Walters, airenlow and dmax4me like this.
  7. Swamp Stalker

Dislikes Received:
    Great morning this AM in the woods. I also saw a spike chasing a doe. Makes every step I take to get there worth it! I won't be going deep tomorrow in case I connect on one. I have a guy coming to change the blower in our pellet stove at 3, and class via Zoom at 4. I'll be going out in the morning though, and hunting one of my closer spots where anything brown is fair game! Hopefully I can put some points up for us!!

airenlow and alenhard15 like this.
  8. AaronB

AaronB Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    That would ruin your scent control so I don’t recommend it! I realize we are spoiled in the Midwest and I hunt a pretty good property. WI is underrated in general, but even though big bucks are killed every year on public land, it definitely is a huge advantage to hunt private and that’s where the majority of big bucks are taken in WI.

Swamp Stalker, dmax4me and alenhard15 like this.
  9. AaronB

AaronB Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    You guys are probably sick of me saying almost or passed this or passed that, but I nearly let one fly tonight on multiple occasions. I had early activity with bucks on the move chasing doe and passed my pet 8 pointer for the 4th time (not the bigger one, the 3 year old).

About an hour before close, the wind started laying down and a couple doe and a fawn popped out of the woods and started feeding. I couldn’t believe a buck wasn’t with them with what I’ve been seeing and about the time I got done thinking that, sure enough one popped out behind them and started pushing them. They scattered toward me and he kept running them back and forth. Gradually getting closer. Well, over the course of 15 minutes, he ran them around within 30-100 yards of me, even leaving once for what I thought was for good, but he came back after chasing one of the doe away. I drew back twice and tried to stop him. I stopped him briefly at 30 yards, but just as I was ready to take the shot, he bolted at the doe again. Then when he came back, he circled around the back side of me and I had to switch windows three times, bumping the side of my blind in the process. He was oblivious and straight down wind of me and it didn’t matter. He just wouldn’t hold still long enough to get a shot, but was completely unaware of my presence or just didn’t care.

It was a thrilling encounter on a nice deer. It wasn’t a giant by any means but in the 125”-135” range and he has my heart going pretty good so I was going to shoot him if I could’ve, but it just wasn’t meant to be. So close, yet so far away. Stay patient with me please!

Back at it in the morning. Should be a really good morning of tonight was any indication.

10. dmax4me

Dislikes Received:
    Exciting story Aaron. Keep at it. Good Luck out there today guys. I'm stuck at work until Thursday night when I head back to Ohio.

11. Nick Lewandowski

Nick Lewandowski Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Well Saturday looks like if I go hunting, I'll be sitting in a ground blind. Not the most comfortable in a blind. They're calling for some good winds as well steady up to 20 mph. But nonetheless I'm going to try to make it out.

We have a new guy at work who hunts as well. And he told me there was no need to cut arrows from the store.... he's got a 27 inch draw with a 34 inch arrow.
    He also told me that 4 inches of penetration was enough to kill a deer especially when the shot was right in the shoulder. Also his peep sight is moving all over. It isn't secured properly. He brought his bow with him yesterday to have me look at his peep sight since the surgical tubing popped off. He told me he was going to be back out tonight. I told him he was better off getting his peep secured before going back out. So I guess I'm going to take him under my wing and correct everything that he was taught wrong.

alenhard15, dmax4me and AaronB like this.
  12. Nick Lewandowski

Nick Lewandowski Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Also good luck to everyone getting out!

13. airenlow

airenlow Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck...on both.

14. AaronB

AaronB Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    More action this morning and evening. Passed multiple bucks again including the bigger 8. He gave me almost the same shot as I had the other day. I even drew back this time, but couldn’t bring myself to loose the arrow. Saw 6 bucks this morning, including an absolute stud 1.5. I know that’s kind of an odd thing to say, but a year and a half old buck with 9 points and starts of splits on both G2s with beams that wrapped around and almost touched in the middle was cool to see. Great genetics. He was pushing a doe with the 8 I passed. My other pet 8 was tending a doe all morning and running off any and all challengers. I watched him at 100-150 yards for two hours.

This evening was also a cool sit. Passed a 3.5 11 pointer (possibly only 2.5). He put on a show and I laid down some great video footage. My pet 8 joined him and there was fighting and snort wheezing and even close to a growl, which I’ve never heard. They were fighting over a group of 4 doe. The 11 eventually ran the 8 off and I heard some strange grunting from him the rest of the night. Long, drawn out grunts. Possibly breeding grunts, but I can’t say I’ve ever heard them in the wild. Really cool hour of action, but alas, no deer harvested. Back at it tomorrow. I may shoot that mature 8 if i see him again. He’s definitely 4+ and probably not going to get a whole lot bigger honestly.

897A4783-3A32-4E43-A702-D5D2D6F5947C.png 1DAD91EE-20D0-4878-A1F9-1F24FA3ED33C.png 1E62335A-E4FA-4BEE-B1E5-C2FF468B081B.png BE44EDDF-9DB8-47E9-934A-EEC130E5865A.png Screen shots from the video I took. This deer could be special in a year or two.

15. dmax4me

Dislikes Received:
    It's been a long time since I had a day like that. Seeing all those bucks let's you know that the 4.5+ bucks are due to come out at any moment. Good Luck!

Swamp Stalker likes this.
  16. dmax4me

Dislikes Received:
    Good Luck out there today Guys. November 4th has been a pretty special day for me in years past but I can't get out until tomorrow.

Swamp Stalker and alenhard15 like this.
  17. alenhard15

alenhard15 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'll be back out on saturday for an all day sit in MD, kind of disappointed i didnt see any deer last evening, conditions were perfect

dmax4me and Swamp Stalker like this.
  18. Swamp Stalker

Dislikes Received:
    Nothing for me this morning. I have an interview for my internship tomorrow at 11. I wasn't happy about it, but I need to snag up this position. It's at the veterans home, so at least I'll be working with my desired population. I think I'm gonna sit out tomorrow afternoon and rest up for an all day sit Saturday. Going deep and need to repack the gear for the trek in.

dmax4me and Nick Lewandowski like this.
  19. dmax4me

Dislikes Received:
    I’m in and have deer under me already just need it to get light. 23 degrees this morning.

Swamp Stalker, alenhard15 and AaronB like this.
  20. AaronB

AaronB Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My rutcation is over. I work tonight through Monday morning. I’ll be back at it Monday afternoon. Only work Wednesday-Thursday next week so still be out a lot. Took yesterday afternoon off and this morning with the S winds.

I had some awesome sits, just nothing killed. Good luck everyone else!

airenlow and dmax4me like this.