Social Media article is spot on.

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Vabowman, Oct 29, 2021.

1. Vabowman

Vabowman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Eric Voris wrote a very very good article on here and I say AMEN! Particularly, # 7 and # 10 of the 10 reasons Social Media is killing hunting. # 7 Is the gospel. "Trying to go farther faster" For the love of God this is the ONE thing that irritates the hell out of me. The fact is, walk before you run and go through the natural process of the ups and downs and trials and tribulations of bowhunting. Read the article, if you are a true veteran of bowhunting, I am talking, 20+ years you will understand. # 10. "purity lost". YEp, we are all guilty. The cell phone. Many hunters today have never hunted without a cell phone in hand. There was just something so pure about NOT being able to update the world about every little twig snap or deer coming in until the hunt was over and you were back at the house, truck, camp fire etc. Part of the allure with hunting with your buddies was the anticipation we all had to report to each other our experiences in the stand face to face as we dramatized each encounter. Right Mr. Voris, right on! so in honor of this article I present the following for nastalgia.

Wop 75, jgaudiojr and MUDSHARK like this.
  2. jgaudiojr

jgaudiojr Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:

I read the article, as well. I did not bowhunt prior to cell phones, but I can only imagine that when Joe Snuffy shot a buck back in 1983 he couldn't get to the local pub fast enough to pull his buddies out to see the bed of his truck. This is a time I am jealous of. The purity, the excitement, the surprise, and the original social media at the local watering hole.

3. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    How many people here can remember the last time they sat in their stand and did not touch or look at their phone?

invasion likes this.
  4. invasion

invasion Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Its been a while.......

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

5. oldnotdead

oldnotdead Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    My only comment:

Think about that article before you(General you there) decide to jokingly or other wise say....

"Didn't happen until we see pics"

6. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Would have been my first successful hunt, was a Motorola flip phone back in 2007. Hunt I went on back in high school didn't even have a phone then. Probably '90 or '91.

Sota likes this.
  7. oldnotdead

oldnotdead Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Couple of weeks ago when I forgot my phone a couple of times. I really only carry it because of accidents and bad experiences in another forum...ya know ...the whole lie thing, intimidation....

8. Vols5151

Vols5151 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I’m new to the forum and semi-new to bowhunting but #7 resonated with me as well. I’ve only been bowhunting for 10 years and have learned an immense amount from my prior blunders. Mistakes can be gut wrenching at times but are absolutely necessary in maturing as a hunter. One of the most rewarding parts of bowhunting, in my opinion, is the success you experience after learning from a prior mistake. I think the article correctly points out that young hunters could be turned away from bowhunting because immediate success is just not a reality like social media makes it seem.

Great article. Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

Vabowman likes this.
  9. 0317

0317 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    It used to be I loved going to the check in locations (archery shops/ state areas) to see what had came in, see them weighed for the big buck/big doe contest, I ran and worked in a several shops/stores for around 20 yrs or so and enjoyed seeing those deer come in and checking them in and weighing them ... opening gun esp. because of the numbers taken opening weekend, now, that is gone as all now do the check in online or cell phone ... the only time I see any other deer taken is at the processors if I dont do it myself .... I do see some nice racks at my buddies who is a taxidermist, but no stories of where/how and what happened to be told ... smh ..

10. GregH

GregH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    This is what I hated the most ....... the loss of tradition. Same goes for Turkey hunting and their check stations. Gone!

11. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I used to hop in with anyone who was going up there who was from our deer camp as a little boy. I remember times getting back to camp from the check-in and someone else was going up there so i would jump in with them. Stories and a sense of community. We were all part of a tradition that was continuing on from generations ago. Damn shame the tradition is dying a slow death.

12. Vabowman

Dislikes Received:
    as a teacher, I find that kids do not care about traditions, culture, or history. I am a history teacher I see first hand

13. Grouch

Grouch Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Just put in my 54th year hunting deer, Have never used a cell phone in nature, and YES< I surely do miss the old days, Stick or recurve bows, wood arrows, , I do firmly believe EVERY beginning hunter should start the hard way first, Thjen appreciate the hunt ! After 4 major surgeries i can no longer use my reurve or compound, I do very much miss them, But alas, Its better than sitting home watching Oprah or Ellen

14. GregH

GregH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Eventually they'll care ...... when it's too late.

Vabowman likes this.
  15. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    I would venture to guess most teachers have felt the same about the generations of kids they taught - including our teachers. Traditions and culture change, much to the chagrin of the generations that came before. And did any of us care much about history as a kid? IMO that's something that comes with age and maturity.

Nostalgia is a thing for a reason. As we age we hold on to those memories and traditions that were near and dear to us in our younger years. Many people have a false belief that the way they learned or experienced things is the only right way and the "best" way to learn or experience them. We completely dismiss the ideas that times change, culture changes, people change, and we learn and experience things in new ways that, for the people experiencing them, will become their "best" way at some point in the future.

While many of us pine for the "simple times" of days gone by, that doesn't mean the current culture of things is horribly wrong or broken, it's just different.

With all of that said - I firmly believe that without fundamental changes in the way social media works, we're destined for some very large-scale problems in the near future. Social media feeds into and amplifies people's fears, puts them into echo chambers with other people experiencing the same thing, and has served to polarize and drive our population apart at a speed that nobody saw coming.

Vols5151 likes this.
  16. Vabowman

Dislikes Received:
    Good for you sir. Glad you are getting out there and still loving it. Everyone these days and not just kids, but younger adults have to have the instant gratification. I truly believe that there is a large number of hunters hunting today just because it's avenue to post a pic of theirselves doing sopmething.

17. Vabowman

Dislikes Received:
    well said, howvever, Justin have you been in a public middle or high school lately? it may change your direction or thought. I am 46 years old and we did some things in the early 90s in school that were foolish, but nothing like what is going on today. Just yesterday I went to use the restroom at school and in walks a 14 year old girl that is "transitioning"... I turned around and walked out... that is something I did not see in high school

18. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Admittedly, I have not been in middle school or high school lately. My oldest is in 4th grade now so I'll get to experience that in a couple of years.

There's no doubt our culture is changing in pretty big ways. Whether those changes prove to be as detrimental as people believe they will still remain to be seen.

[​IMG]

Vabowman likes this.
  19. 0317

0317 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    When I used to teach Hunter Ed, I was strong on tradtions, not only for deer/big game, but for small game/upland game and waterfowl ..... like going out hunting for pheasant/rabbits, quail on a early Thanksgiving morning ... now those birds are gone locally unless you get in for a put and take Pheasant hunt over on Willough Slough F&W area, and that is a 70 mile drive one way for me ... heck, deer is a 40 mile drive one way .. I no longer get worked up for opening day deer .. smh ... usually to hot and I dont want to back pack in 40 lbs on a 70 degree day and fight the eye gnats .. I do usually get out for a early morning squirrel hunt every Aug. 15th however, weather/rain permitting