Hit a doe high and front

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by head2toe camo, Oct 23, 2021.

1. head2toe camo

head2toe camo Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    6pm hit her high and a little front, probably 2 inches below the spine. Arrow stuck in (far side shoulder) and she took off like a bullet without kicking. She was 28 yds at impact. Made a 35 to 45 yard radius half circle around me to my left. I thought I heard a crash, but she might have hit some brush at the edge of a clearing and bounded silently through grass to get away. Leaves/brush are thick but I watched the lumenok pretty much the whole way until a second before the crash sound.

I waited 10 minutes and snuck down to look at impact spot. It was dark by now and rained today… I didn’t find a drop with my standard flashlight, which wasn’t surprising to me given high and likely muscle shot. Silently snuck out and waited an hour. Texted neighbor and got my tracking light. Went and looked around and found 2 drops of blood. Got close to the area of the crash but backed out. Hard to see blood on wet leaves, but definitely not much blood. hopefully will have easier tracking tomorrow AM. Plan to go to last blood and see what I see. Will also look thoroughly at area where I heard crash.

any tips or thoughts? I know these posts suck but hoping to benefit from the collective knowledge of this group. Thanks

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 23, 2021
  2. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    based on you description. If you were level with the deer she is still alive, and you most likely won't find much if any blood nor the deer. If you were in a tree stand and the angle was steep enough you may have caught some of the off side lung, however with no exit wound, and very high impact location you most likely not getting much if any blood, you will see dime size drops at best for the first 100-150 yards and then it will peter out. If you didn't bump her, and you caught enough of one lung there is slight chance she might bed up fairly quick, however most times when they bust out like bat out of hell that won't be the case. they will either go till they drop or keep going on one lung till they subcome to it or heal up or become septic at later time. The one lung shot that deer bed up quickly tend to angled shots that either catch the lung on the in or out and puncture the diaphragm causing negative pressure, the deer then becomes hypoxic and lays down because lack of perfusion

let us know what you find

Last edited: Oct 24, 2021
  3. head2toe camo

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks. Found broken off arrow. Snapped clean at 9+ inches from tip. Red sprays of blood on vanes. See pic below. Exclamation point on my map below is the arrow location. Nothing for 40+ yds then Good amount of blood and easy trail for 10 yards at the blood mark on my map by neighbors shed. That’s where I thought she crashed. She got up and changed direction back toward me based on blood I found on a tree. Had to come back to watch kids but will be back out soon.
    This always sucks but I’m more optimistic finding good blood. 7FB6FA47-8208-42E8-89FC-1FA304E24DB5.png A9DA176A-CD0D-4861-B86B-4FE5EF656A6A.jpeg 01BBFA85-17A1-4346-B427-990730869C2F.jpeg

4. oldnotdead

oldnotdead Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    If you saw "spray" it sounds like an artery Nick at least. I'm surprised you didn't find her already. I had an arrow break off just behind a shoulder and the buck circled around and I found him 200 ft behind me the broad head and part of shaft was sticking out of his opposite side ham near tail. If it didn't stick in bone it was traveling around in her sliceing a dicing, as It were. Good luck

5. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Just a bad situation. Everything will be speculation. Good luck

In Venatione Veritas

Blarney22 and Sean Card like this.
  6. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I agree that this is not ideal.

I had this exact same thing happen to me last year. Shot a buck just above spine and it lodged into his off side shoulder. He got disoriented, but finally walked off slow. Ended up going about 150 yards and just stood in a thicket. 2 1/2 hours later I bumbed him. I also had 8" of arrow broke off in him. Never seen again or found. I even went back in the winter for a few day just looking for him, never could find him. Pretty sure he survived.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

7. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    So what happened????

8. jodypenny

jodypenny Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Ever find the deer?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    I'll guess no news was bad news...hope not

10. head2toe camo

Dislikes Received:
    Did not find. Found only one more area of blood that suggested she doubled back at one point. A lot of searching and very disappointed. Can’t trail with no blood trail. She made it pretty far.

11. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    It happens best for next hunt

head2toe camo likes this.
  12. jodypenny

jodypenny Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Hate to hear it but it happens. Bow hunt long enough and it will happen again. Who knows she might heal up and make it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

head2toe camo likes this.