Team 3 - Team 3reeTrunks

Discussion in '2021 Deer Contest' started by dnoodles, Aug 29, 2021.

1. Junior

Junior Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Well, back out at it....counted 22 does on the field. Wish they would come out like that during rifle season! Not a single horn (yet)& nothing in range

Sent from my SM-N960U using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

2. rednas5

rednas5 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Back at my farm again. Trying to stay out of my primo spots for at least one more weekend. Love this spot but it's more of a pinch point travel corridor perfect for during the rut. It's easy to slip into however and you just never know! Good luck everybody!

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Junior likes this.
  3. Junior

Junior Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    So my other half connected last night. Nice little 8 point, went down in about 60 yards after he smoked a tree. His buck last year did the same thing! I was about to get down to go help when i heard a grunt behind me a ways in the woods. Sorry dear, you are on your own for the moment! Sat in place & the darn thing came out where i didnt have a shot. 20211022_191114.jpeg Resized952021102295181239.jpeg Resized952021102295192119(1).jpeg

Sent from my SM-N960U using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

dnoodles, Justin, JeffC and 4 others like this.
  4. WakeCow

WakeCow Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats on the buck short!

Well my whole house came down with the WuFlu. I’ve had minimal symptoms. Developed a little cough last night still managed to get out into the woods. Had a doe and fawn come out early they were skittish as hell with the early antlerless and youth hunts going on. Hopefully this flu doesn’t affect my rutcation supposed to leave for SD on Friday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Junior and short69 like this.
  5. short69

short69 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Got my cute little buck posted up. hopefully be back out soon to add another 50 for us.. It was a nice redemption after passing a small buck early last year and not having another shot opportunity all season. I told myself this year to take the first one I had a good shot on and it paid dividends ( lean, tasty dividends). I was a little worried about drawing my bow again as I have been having shoulder/neck issue but, everything went great. Stoked for the rest of a good season.

6. rednas5

Dislikes Received:
    Went out this morning to a buddies property. I don't usually hunt mornings until late October but can't pass up an opportunity when given a chance. All I saw was some trash pandas.

[​IMG]

Hammer1171 likes this.
  7. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Got up at 3 am yesterday morning and made the 2 hour drive out to my lease to hunt for the day. I'm getting too old for this! Ended up seeing 8 deer in the morning and 5 in the evening. Biggest was an 80 inch 2 year old, but it beats staying local and getting skunked! Drove back last night and hunted local this morning - saw 3 does.

Going to take a couple of days off and hopefully hit the afternoons this week once all this rain moves through.

Junior and dnoodles like this.
  8. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I have killed all my WI deer Nov 2 - Nov 7. Probably 90% of my Michigan deer same date range, actually. Where I hunt in MI is on same latitude as WI. I killed all my IN deer the 2nd-3rd week of November.

9. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    well I posted in more detail on LFTS, but I was out all weekend on public in MI and got busted by a small doe on Saturday AM (wouldn't have shot her that deep anyway) but I was going to draw on her just to get the early season kinks out. She popped me on the reach for my bow, lol.

Second day I scouted/hunted a new spot in the woods, awesome fresh scrapes and just a cool set up, but right at prime time a hunter who I had no idea was near ended up shooting a buck that went crashing into the swamp. I doubt the hunter was more than 30 yards from me on the other side of a stand of pines, but in the direction I expected the deer to come from. I offered to help but he was having none of it.

Later that evening, my uncle went for a drive into town and passed by where that guy was parked and saw 3 total vehicles there all running with their lights on, so looks like he called the cavalry. No idea if he recovered it but that swamp is nasty and a river is only about 100 yards into the swamp, and crossing that river is no joke. You need hip waders at least to get across it unless you want to get wet.

Yesterday AM I hunted the same stand that I saw the doe from, and had a little forkhorn come in. He was so small I am thinking he may be a fawn that just has really good antler genes. His beams were probably 10" and his brow tines were over an inch each. It's either that or he was a really late-season yearling, but man I have seen fawns with spots as big as him.

upload_2021-10-25_9-22-20.png

Hunted a scrape line last night, only saw a black housecat (appx 2 miles form any houses) and a coyote that may have been trailing the cat, but he pegged me reaching for my bow before I was sure he was a coyote and wheeled and ran away.

got out ahead of and drove straight into the teeth of that storm, white knuckle drive most of the way. Good times!

I'll be back at it Friday PM or Saturday AM at the latest. GL all and great job Short.

Justin, Junior, Hammer1171 and 2 others like this.
  10. Gabilgerat

Gabilgerat Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Down to 7 days till I head out for NW Missouri , Man this week is gonna drag by slowwww. Cant wait to be in a mid west tree!!!

AL fulldraw likes this.
  11. AL fulldraw

AL fulldraw Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I’ll be headed to Illinois in the morning I should be in a tree tomorrow afternoon. I’ll be there from Wednesday to Monday then I’ll head back up Sunday threw Friday.

Brian Walters, Justin, Junior and 3 others like this.
  12. Gabilgerat

Dislikes Received:
    Good Luck. Hope you kill a big-un!!!

AL fulldraw likes this.
  13. rednas5

Dislikes Received:
    I hunt NW Mo! Where you headed? My farm is on the Iowa border north of Grant City and I also hunt near Graham, Mo.

14. Gabilgerat

Dislikes Received:
    Hunting in Worth co with NW Missouri outfitters in Denver Mo, I hunted with them last fall and hunted a farm just north of Allendale

Junior likes this.
  15. rednas5

Dislikes Received:
    What's the chances? I'm in Worth County as well. Small world.

16. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Went out last night for quick after-work sit. Ended up seeing a pretty big lone doe that never got closer than 75 yards and then I rattled in a huge bodied buck with a crappy rack. Not sure if he was a huge 2-year-old or a 3-year-old with really bad antler genetics. I watched him make 6 scrapes over the course of about half an hour. He was all sorts of fired up.

I'm going take tonight off and I may bring my son out tomorrow to see if we can get him on a buck. There's not a whole lot of deer on my local farm that I'm excited about shooting, but there are plenty of them in there he would be super happy with.

This is the buck I saw last night.

IMG_8267.JPG

Junior and rednas5 like this.
  17. rednas5

Dislikes Received:
    I have 1 more day of work and then I'm off until November 9th. I Decided after looking at the weather forecast for next week and the highs in the low 40s I have to get out there. I'm hoping it's the right decision!

Junior likes this.
  18. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Rain here for the next 24 hrs... Work is killing me. It's really like to knock off early tomorrow afternoon, move a stand and get a suit in for a few hrs on my land.

I've been very frustrated season to date...Just not seeing deer, but my back is feeling better... Depending on wind, Sat I may do a longer hike to one of a few spots I havent checked out yet this year.

rednas5 likes this.
  19. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Not seeing deer is pretty much par for my season, so I'm used to it. When I hunt locally I see deer roughly 50% of the time.

The biggest buck I've seen all season may go 75 inches if you stretch the tape.

After this storm front clears out tomorrow it looks like we're in for some good hunting weather for about the next week. I typically don't like the first week of November that much, but it is shaping up to be pretty good.

rednas5 likes this.
  20. Gabilgerat

Dislikes Received:
    Im headed to My farm tomorrow for one more attempt at putting a Georgia buck on the ground before I head to Missouri next Wednesday