Team 17 - Life At Full Draw

Discussion in '2021 Deer Contest' started by Shawn Clark, Aug 30, 2021.

1. opossumhunterNC

opossumhunterNC Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I’m actually eating some of the possum bourguignon I made last week right now and it’s downright delicious! Put some mashed taters in the bottom of the bowl so it’s basically like a fancy Shepard’s pie.
    upload_2021-10-25_22-26-45.jpeg
    People like to hate on possum meat and sadly for them they have never had well prepared possum. The secret is the red wine, it kind of breaks down and separates the waxy/greasy tallow fat from the rest of the meat and lets it float to the top. As long as you go in on the second or 3rd day of cooking and scoop off all the fat floating on top and make sure to cook it for the full 5 days it is really tasty meat.

Attached Files:

fshafly2, wibowhntr and Josh Myers like this.
  2. bucksnbears

bucksnbears Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    :eek2: im brave but aintt eatn no possum!
    I LOVE trappn/calling coyotes. Some years I have more time/some years n ot.
    164 was the best year but that was about 10 years ago..
    Sounds like an old male doing the yodeling. Real deep n raspy.
    Gonna try n kill him!

JeffC likes this.
  3. opossumhunterNC

Dislikes Received:
    Don’t knock it till you tried it. It really is partly just a bad name and partly due to people not fixing it right. Kind of like venison that a redneck threw on the hood of a truck and drove around town for a couple days with it up or when some lazy hunter or processor grinds up all the deer’s fat, silverskin, glands and lymph nodes along with the rest of the meat and you get nasty gamey deerburglars. Their closely related to the Kangaroo (they are also marsupials and raise their young in pouches, although the opening in their pouches is towards their bottom/rear instead of the front/top like a kangaroo). People pay lots of money for the kangaroo steaks which are really just XXL possum chops that they could get in their back yard. Definitely don’t eat the roadkill ones though, the whole roadkill possum being edible thing is an old wives tale. Typically when they get run over by a car it kind of blenders them up and you get spinal cord tissue and brain matter into the actual meat and eating that can give you leprosy.

Josh Myers likes this.
  4. opossumhunterNC

Dislikes Received:
    Have you ever used the MB-550’s for yotes? I’ve heard a lot of good things about them. Supposed to be really good for letting you set pan tension and come from the factory with a night latch, and hold well even with offset jaws (which we gotta have in NC). Supposed to be good enough out of the box that you don’t have to do a thing to them aside from degrease/dye/wax and maybe a few minor adjustments to the tension and a a little bending to level the pan. I ordered a half-dozen of them to test out this year because I have kept hearing folks talk about how great they are for coyote’s for like 3 years now so finally decided to try them out for myself. Placed the order like 2 months ago and it is still pending thanks to covid logistics. I was really looking forward to making some sets with them but even if they miraculously arrived tomorrow and I got them degreased and set out to start getting some rust on the right away it’ll still be at least December before they’re rusted up enough to dye them and get em waxed and by that time I’ll already have made sets in all my good spots using my old traps.

5. bucksnbears

Dislikes Received:
    I don't have any 550s but know guys that do that really like them. Actually, I don't here much negative about them.
    I have about 100 Northwoods 1.75s. Well. Built trap. They even hold Timbers :ninja:.

wibowhntr likes this.
  6. blackbear

blackbear Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Ok brother in law is here for two days, putting together his plot etc, once he goes back I may sneak a quick sit, “observation only” no gun, just a bow for squirrels and such.

Sent from my iPad using Bowhunting
    .com Forums

wibowhntr likes this.
  7. blackbear

Dislikes Received:
    How about those last five doe players, sound off!, let us hear your war cry.

.com Forums

Shawn Clark likes this.
  8. fshafly2

fshafly2 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The Maryland yote trapping season opens 15 Nov. In the meantime you can shoot them 24/7/365. In my county you can trap fox 365, go figure!
    -fsh

opossumhunterNC and JeffC like this.
  9. opossumhunterNC

Dislikes Received:
    Shooting works too... IMG_0073.jpeg

JeffC, wibowhntr, fshafly2 and 2 others like this.
  10. Shawn Clark

Shawn Clark Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Going to be in the stand Wednesday morning and evening, Thursday morning for sure and possibly evening. Depends on when the rain gets here. Good luck to everyone. It's getting hot with deer action out there. I have a lot of activity on my cams several 2 and 3 year old bucks and my giant buck Eyeguard even showed up at 7:30 yesterday morning.

wibowhntr likes this.
  11. Josh Myers

Josh Myers Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Seen 2 small bucks and 4 doe but no shots on any of the doe. Going back out tomorrow evening

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

blackbear, wibowhntr and Shawn Clark like this.
  12. Shawn Clark

Dislikes Received:
    Heading out here in a few. Good luck to everyone!!!!!

wibowhntr likes this.
  13. blackbear

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck Shawn and anyone else, moving to set up stand with my brother in law.

.com Forums

14. bucksnbears

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck fellas.

15. Shawn Clark

Dislikes Received:
    Here's the best one I saw today. Back in my younger years, I would have smoked this buck, lol. Decent 8 point, 2 year old. Saw 3 other does and a 3 point. 20211027_110647.jpg

wibowhntr and Josh Myers like this.
  16. Shawn Clark

Dislikes Received:
    I'm back in the stand. Anyone else out this evening?

Josh Myers likes this.
  17. Josh Myers

Josh Myers Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I went out this evening after the neighbor called me at 11:00 and said he saw a legit booner run onto our property. Had to give it a shot. Never seen a damn thing. Lol. Thats ok I was there and he could have been.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shawn Clark and wibowhntr like this.
  18. wibowhntr

wibowhntr Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Shawn Clark and Josh Myers like this.
  19. bucksnbears

Dislikes Received:
    I purposely left my bow at the cabin (100 miles away)
    So I didn't feel the urge.

)I plan (will) be taking off for hunting the 29th.
    This time of year, I make no commitments, no wife,kids.
    I do whatever I want.

wibowhntr likes this.
  20. opossumhunterNC

Dislikes Received:
    Didn’t see **** hunting tonight other than that little 1-pointer spike with the missing antler that I almost shot a couple weeks ago, but the drive home was another story…. I hit a monster 10-pointer, or we’ll technically he kind of hit me because he was chasing this tiny little yearling doe and she ran cross the road first so by the time he crossed I had hit the brakes and was pretty much stopped so he just rammed my passenger side door. I did have my bow in the car but I doubt that would’ve counted for the contest though (I’d have no problem punching a tag to mount him on the wall and turn him into dinner) Doesn’t matter though because he just ran off uninjured so I didn’t get a chance to take 2 photos. Pretty much the only thing I got out of the situation is a little dent in my car door. It was nowhere near any place I hunt so I hope somebody shoots him on my behalf once the orange army enters the woods.

Shawn Clark and wibowhntr like this.