Team 17 - Life At Full Draw

Discussion in '2021 Deer Contest' started by Shawn Clark, Aug 30, 2021.

1. opossumhunterNC

opossumhunterNC Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Heading out now. Wind finally changed direction and going to be good all weekend so all the stands I will be hunting are ones that haven't seen a human for several weeks up to a couple months.

fshafly2, wibowhntr and Josh Myers like this.
  2. bucksnbears

bucksnbears Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Sat with a 14 year old girl last evening. A 2 year old 8 came sneaking outta a thick Swamp and stopped in a good spot.
    She whacked it at 100 yards and it dropped on the spot.
    Very happy kid.

3. opossumhunterNC

Dislikes Received:
    If anybody is out hunting this morning and thinking about climbing down you might wanna wait a little longer. They’re moving late where I am at. Didn’t see a single thing until about half an hour ago then all the sudden I was covered up in deer. Smoked a doe about 10 minutes ago, went down within sight. Just now I had another herd of does walk out and I just caught a glimpse of two pairs of antlers. They’re a ways off in the woods but heading this way and one set looked pretty promising so I’m gonna sit a while longer and see if I can double up. Heck if I get a buck too, I might just have to take out a fawn as well so I’ll have a whole family, lol.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2021
  4. bucksnbears

Dislikes Received:
    Nice job possum.
    Back at the cabin for an evening sit.
    Checked a cam right in front overlooking a scrape and there was a bruiser there at 530 this morning.
    I'm going in.

Josh Myers and Shawn Clark like this.
  5. opossumhunterNC

Dislikes Received:
    Take him down! My bucks never came in, probably heard all the commotion from that doe crashing and got spooked. Heading back now though. Getting a little bit of a late start so gonna set up in an easy to access stand that’s mostly does and see about adding some more meat to the fridge (although it is getting to be that time of year where “mostly does” can turn out to be does getting harassed by horny bucks)

6. bucksnbears

Dislikes Received:
    Just got in.
    Beautiful here in Northern mn.

wibowhntr likes this.
  7. fshafly2

fshafly2 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Yesterday I hunted with my nephew on my farm where I had tied a doe to a tree - he nailed it.
    I tried the Base this afternoon, only a spike came through.

-fsh

8. Humpythahunter

Humpythahunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Almost hit a target buck in my wife’s suv tonight, was good to see him on his feet. Still lots of movement from young deer in the daylight. Big bucks are getting closer

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

wibowhntr likes this.
  9. blackbear

blackbear Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Does moving here in south central ky. Got back from Houston, on the trip four road kills all big, also had on buck stare me down in the middle of the road very cool, I’ll be out this afternoon.

Sent from my iPad using Bowhunting
    .com Forums

wibowhntr and Shawn Clark like this.
  10. fshafly2

fshafly2 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I sat in a funnel on Base this afternoon and had a 8ptr come by. The younger bucks are on the move.
    -fsh
    Buck 24 Oct.png

11. Shawn Clark

Shawn Clark Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Pouring down rain here. Not suppose to stop until Tuesday morning. Planning on heading out Tuesday afternoon. Should be a good sit.

wibowhntr likes this.
  12. bucksnbears

Dislikes Received:
    Yep finally, young bucks are starting to go nuts!
    Took a scent free (as I could) and slow tour behind my cabin this morning after deer activity died down and was amazed at the rubs n scrapes I seen!.
    Never in 25 years have I seen so much buck sign so close.
    Got a chit pile of deer (and alot) of bucks showing up. Sadly, that new bruiser looks to have a busted g_2? Don't care, he looks 9lder and ill kill him regardless of "score"
    I'm actually quite gitty this year. No giants but several good older bucks.
    The 3 year olds I have hanging around may just be what I need to pull some of these older ones out during shooting light.
    Gotta be sure I hunt careful and not burn out my spots.

wibowhntr likes this.
  13. MONGO

MONGO Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Life been in the way of hunting for a while now, went on vacation to VA beach. Now were looking into a move down to NC... and getting things in order to be able to do that. Maybe this weekend....

opossumhunterNC and wibowhntr like this.
  14. opossumhunterNC

Dislikes Received:
    Well, I don’t blame you. NC happens to be the best state in the union. Except when it comes to big quality trophy bucks, we’re kind of lacking in that area but we do make up for the lack of quality with ample quantity. You get 4 antlerless and 2 either sex tags per year during the regular season and then unlimited bonus doe tags during the Jan 15 - Feb 20 urban archery season. And lots of other great hunting activities. The swamps down East are the home of the worlds biggest black bears land the Pamlico sound and associated impoundments have some of the best waterfowl hunting in the country. We also have great Turkey hunting in the northeast and western parts of the state, and were one of the few states where you can hunt tundra swan (it is a lottery system but like 2/3 of all applicants get a tag so you are pretty much guaranteed one at least every other year) If you’re into offshore fishing, or fishing in general, it’s a pretty good state for that too. We don’t have ice fishing though which I think is kind of a bummer because it looks like it would make for one hell of a fun time.

15. GeminiRidge

GeminiRidge Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Sat multiple times over the weekend. Does and small bucks but I wouldn't even say I saw a lot of rutting activity. More east winds of course. Some of the big random fellers are walking around but still pretty nocturnal. Hopefully the switch flips on a day I'm in the tree!

16. MONGO

MONGO Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Ha! I'm glad to hear, were looking at way north east, because of the beach and distance from family in VA. As for ice fishing.... ive had enough of ice here in Ohio to fill a lifetime :lol:

17. opossumhunterNC

Dislikes Received:
    Nice. I love the eastern area. I’m heading down to Hyde county a few times this fall/winter for a bear hunt and a couple duck hunts at greenhill impoundment.

MONGO likes this.
  18. bucksnbears

Dislikes Received:
    2 5" rubs were made last night right behind my cabin.
    I'm going in.

19. bucksnbears

Dislikes Received:
    Effing coyotes!
    Had a fawn,doe n small buck right in front of me early.
    Coyotes started yapping real close. Damn doe bout turned inside out!
    She ran into some real thick stuff and blew her nose off for 1/2 hour.
    1 more small buck near dark. Thas all.
    When I come back to bowhunt for 7 day early Nov, I'm breaking out my coyote traps!

20. opossumhunterNC

Dislikes Received:
    F**k coyote’s!!!

Glad to see there is another trapper on the team! Our trappin season opens a week from today. Got 2 dozen bridger #3’s dyed, waxed, and ready to go for the yotes.

BTW, I recently heard through the rumor mill that Ugg boots has started using opossum fur in some of their models of boot instead of just fox and nutria. Supposed to cause possum pelts to like double in value this season. I will say I didn’t get that from an official ugg company source or anything but the guy who told me is usually pretty reliable with his fur insights. (If I had to guess the folks at Ugg wouldn’t announce their switch to possum fur anyway since their customers probably wouldn’t be too happy if they found out that they dropped 3 figures on a pair of possum boots not to mention the blowback from peta and the rest of the animal got rights folks)

Worst case scenario if you trap a bunch of them and my guy turns out to be full of **** you’ll still have a lot of meat and I’ve got an excellent recipe for possum bourguignon thats meant for the crock pot.

Josh Myers likes this.