No Battery Design External Mics

Discussion in 'Videography & Photography' started by tynimiller, Oct 20, 2021.

1. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Who runs them? I presently run a Rode shotgun mic, powered by a 9volt - LOVE the thing and the sound abilities of it, but hate the size of it.

I find myself desiring to haul less and less into the stand with me, which is why at times I leave the camera gear altogether at the truck - however when I film the hunts I love what it allows you to capture. So in an attempt to maybe down size my set up a tick - looking at powerless external mics - anyone have one or experienced with one?

Few that I'm looking at are:

Move VXR10 Pro or the JJC SGM-V1 or Rode VideoMicro Compact

I've even thought about a tiny Saramonic XM1 that plugs into the jack with zero cords or such.

2. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    @DEC @Siman/OH @Fitz and @Justin you four came to mind first for this - I'm betting you use battery powered ones like me but maybe have dabbled with the non designed ones too for size?

3. Siman/OH

Siman/OH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Like I mentioned via text, I’m using the Rode NTG-2 phantom powered mic with XLR connection.

Like I also mentioned, sometimes we just don’t run a mic at all and the quality doesn’t seem to suffer that badly. Especially public land or long pack ins.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. DEC

DEC Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    In general I like phantom powered microphones. I ran a couple mics years ago that ran on batteries. I hated them. The ones I had, I had to remember to power them on and then off, or the battery would die at a bad time. So for me Phantom mics (Powered by the camera) have been the answer for years. I have owned a few in both XLR and 3.5mm inputs.

Most recently, I ran a Rode Video Micro. It worked well for me and I never had complaints. If I was looking for one today, I would seriously look at the Deity D4 Duo or Mini. They seem to get great reviews (often superior to the Rode Micro) on Youtube.

Right now in the field I run one of two mic setups. Because I run the new Sony full frames, I am able to use the Sony ECM-B1M. The mic simply slides into the hot shoe on my cameras, is powered by the camera, and runs the audio data through the hot shoe eliminating cables. It is a nice setup.

I also run the Rode Video Go Wireless (original version) for when I want to run a lav mic. I like it, the batteries last 5 to 7 hours depending on the outside temperature, they recharge via USB-C, and just in general it has been 100% reliable for me. The downside ... you pretty much have to spend another $80 and buy Rode's lav mic. I gambled on a couple cheaper ones and they did not work with the unit. But it is what it is and I have their lav now.

I have a couple studio mics also, but they are not applicable to filming hunts.

That is pretty much my experience.