Who here gets the virus first?

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by Sota, Mar 12, 2020.

1. Westfinger

Westfinger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The reality is nothing is 100% effective and safe. I've done liver transplants on Tylenol overdoses etc. We all have different risk tolerances. Working in a hospital I have seen the ugly side of Covid and despite being a young 50, not overweight, no medications or medical problems I'm ready for a booster. I don't want to take my chances. Currently unvaccinated hospitalizations locally make up 80% of admissions for covid. That number has been trending down from 90-100% patients admitted with covid being unvaccinated. It suggests to me that there is a decline in immunity over time and that the vaccine was helping.

virginiashadow, Germ, Hotrod9 and 2 others like this.
  2. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Curious if you know any numbers on how many of the unvaccinated hospitalized are on their 2nd infection with Covid? I take it you are saying that the vaccinated, via the shot(s), hospitalizations are on the rise due to a reduction of the vax efficacy. By vaccinated I'm assuming you mean they've had the shot(s).

I've had 2 pfizer shots and have no plans on a booster, I'm just curious to the numbers of hospitalizations from those who have man made immunization vs those who have natural immunization from recovering from the actual virus itself.

3. Westfinger

Dislikes Received:
    I don’t know the answer to that.

4. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    I believe even an anecdotal review of the current case numbers seems to indicate the waning efficacy of the vaccines. The massive initial decline in cases happened this Spring during the vaccine surge, and worked very well for a period of time. Now you have a perfect storm of restrictions being lifted and vaccines becoming less effective, which is accounting for the current C19 caseload that doesn't seem to want to go back down to where it was earlier in the year.

My wife and I both got vaccinated in April. Here we are in October, both sick with Covid. She's currently in bed with a 101.5 degree fever and feels like crap.

There doesn't seem to be a ton of data out there on this but the stuff I have seen seems to indicate natural immunity is far and away superior to vaccine-only immunity at this point. The talking heads on the news seem dead set on pushing vaccines because "we don't know how long natural immunity lasts", which is comical because we also don't know how long vaccine immunity lasts.

5. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    I appreciate your insight. It sounds as though the expectation is that this could be an annual booster vs a traditional booster you might see with say, Tdap, which is every ten years. I know many compare this regimen to an annual flu shot, but the only reason I get a flu shot is because my wife makes me...it's low efficacy doesn't really seem worth it to me at my younger age. Covid is a different story, but I really would like to see an end game here. Are we really going to be expected to get a booster annually or even semi-annually?

6. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    I'm far from a doctor, but I think it's pretty safe to say that nobody really knows the answer to that question. I'm sure that will be determined based on the efficacy of the boosters and how long that immunity lasts.

7. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    When's the last time anyone heard the phrase "herd immunity"? That used to be the get to point. Now it is everyone needs to get the shots and keep getting them forevermore.

8. Westfinger

Dislikes Received:
    My personal opinion is that the media, government, and special interest groups have no interest in killing the goose that laid the golden egg.

9. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have thought that natural immunity would be better than a vaccine all along for anyone under 70 without preexisting medical conditions. This is based solely on the fact the one of the vaccines (J & J, I think, can't remember for sure) claimed 95% effectiveness. Pretty sure we can call BS on that at this point. The flu shot, which was first approved for human usage in the mid 1940s after nearly 20 years of research that began in the early 1920s is at best 60-70% effective. The flu shot has been around almost 80 years. Even with all the scientific advancements since the 1940s, no company has ever created a 95% effective vaccine for a virus and now we have one in less than 80 weeks? Hmm....

virginiashadow, Hotrod9 and Sota like this.
  10. fletch920

fletch920 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Is she happy with the result? Would she do it again? Thanks.

11. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Yes both... Totally. MIL and FIL also had it done. I think the biggest question folks wrestle with is if you get one lens for reading and the other for distance.

Her Doc, let her 'try that out with a contact in one eye... I think after she had the first lens done.

Follow the docs orders on meds and moisturizing drops too post surgery.

12. fletch920

Dislikes Received:
    I REALLY appreciate the response. I am nervous about having it done. Fake lenses in eyes seems like something that I should not have to worry about for another 25 years, yet here I am. lol.

13. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Are you calling me and my wife old?

Its understandable... Surgery of any kind is not an everyday occurrence.

Surgery is quick and out patient... Need somebody to give you a ride to/fro... Procedure takes minutes per eye, but you'll spend a few hrs for each eye (paperwork, vitals, anesthesia, OR, recovery, etc).

My wife likens it to cleaning windows... Once replaced you can see really well.

My wife did have some irritation, post op with one eye... She called her doc who checked, no issues and she was 100% in a couple days. First eye zero issues... Immediately better vision and little irritation post surgery.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2021
  14. picman

picman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:

did that with contacts....DID NOT LIKE IT AT ALL!!!!!!!!!

15. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    My wife didn't either... My MIL did.

Ymmv

16. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Heck of a dog, where I can I get one? :lol:

[​IMG]

17. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Dog, doc...'220, 221, whatever it takes'

(damn spell check)

cantexian and fletch920 like this.
  18. fletch920

Dislikes Received:
    NO, not calling anyone old! lol.

But, my Optometrist told me I will look pretty young in the waiting room. Ha. I will be 54 in a couple of weeks.

19. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    My wife was 54 when she had hers done also.

20. fletch920

Dislikes Received:
    Just a bunch of kids up in here.....:evilgrin: