Team 17 - Life At Full Draw

Discussion in '2021 Deer Contest' started by Shawn Clark, Aug 30, 2021.

1. opossumhunterNC

opossumhunterNC Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Down here in the eastern states we aren’t getting the cold front until late tomorrow night/Sunday morning. High is gonna be 85 tomorrow. I really wanna go hunting, but I think it’s smarter to take the day off and keep my scent out of the area until Sunday and maybe do some maintenance and clearing in the non hunting parts of the property and try and knock out some of the odd jobs and tasks that've been festering on my to-do list for a long time instead. If I can’t resist the temptation to hunt then I’ll be sticking to one of my doe spots that the bucks tend to avoid and just focus on adding some more ladydeer to the freezer and save the good spots for Sunday.

2. Shawn Clark

Shawn Clark Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I believe team 17 will be dropping some deer this weekend putting us back where we belong, on top!!!!!

wibowhntr likes this.
  3. Humpythahunter

Humpythahunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    IMG_0739.JPG

Next week is shaping up to be the best week so far this season. Im off from school, babysitting, etc from Sunday to Sunday. Im getting excited.

IMG_0740.JPG

I’ve lost track of a couple shooters but I think they are still around. This guy is pretty consistent. Just nocturnal at the moment along with a couple other good sized bucks.

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

Shawn Clark, Josh Myers and wibowhntr like this.
  4. opossumhunterNC

opossumhunterNC Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I swear these f***ing yellow jackets have it in for me. Just got back from an 80 mile round trip to the emergency after hours vet. My boy Hank apparently disturbed a nest of yellow jackets that were attending an all night party. I turnt him out around 10 tonight so he could drop a deuce and when he came back in 5 minutes later he was panting, his lips done turnt white and he was swollen up and trembling, and could barely keep his balance to walk on all 4 legs. I immediately assumed that got hit on by some hornets but then got to thinkin about how it was 3-1/2 hours after sunset and figured it couldn’t be hornets because whenever I find one of their holes I go in halfway between sunset and last shooting light to pour the gasoline into their home and even by that they are always sound asleep. Figured it couldn’t be bees so I got to thinking about about cottonmouths, heart attacks, and copperheads and really got worried.

I drove his ass there in my lap and he was wheezing and choking and acting like he was going to straight up die right then and there for the first 55 minutes of the hour long drive but 5 minutes from the vet he got up, hopped over the console into the back seat, rolled down his window, and stuck his head out. By the time we arrived at the vet he was perfectly fine, like nothing even happened except for a couple little welts on his inner thigh.

The vet knew it was yellow jackets before we even got there - said that’s practically half of the calls he gets this year regardless of the time or day/night. He even had a prescription filled out for that specific problem before we even got there - 75mg diphenhydramine every 8 hours for the next 2 days. Had the bottle of pills already prepared, even with the label on it, and it was ready to go. I told him to keep his meds though since I am not afraid of big words, even those with a Y in them, and $500 was a tad overpriced for an 18 pack of Benadryl. I already got 50 or so in my first aid kit and those only cost like $0.05 each

Brian Walters likes this.
  5. Shawn Clark

Dislikes Received:
    That is insane.

6. wibowhntr

wibowhntr Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
  7. blackbear

blackbear Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Shawn Clark likes this.
  8. Shawn Clark

Dislikes Received:
    Anyone out this evening?

9. Josh Myers

Josh Myers Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Not tonight. Last cross country meet tonight. Now tomorrow is another story.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shawn Clark likes this.
  10. Humpythahunter

Dislikes Received:
    Tomorrow it starts and we are getting down to 40 degrees tonight. That’s a huge drop from what we have had. Couldn’t of time deer vacation better

Shawn Clark likes this.
  11. Humpythahunter

Dislikes Received:
    Now I have to take advantage and do my part. Get my ass up in the morning and let an arrow fly.

Josh Myers and Shawn Clark like this.
  12. Humpythahunter

Dislikes Received:
    My cell cam is lighting up tonight, about 2 hours before usual movement from the deer. I can’t wait for tomorrow.

Nothing big on cell cam but I could’ve got a doe for sure.

I still can’t decide if I’m going to be super aggressive or hunt my set stand. All the deer tonight have been about 35 yards from the stand. I would like to get slightly closer.

Josh Myers likes this.
  13. fshafly2

fshafly2 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I hunted a remote choke point on Base this morning. I found this spot courtesy of having tracked wounded deer in past years that traveled through the choke point. I had a mature 7ptr come through last year and I gave him a pass (we can also shoot any bucks on Base that are older than 3-1/2). Nothing came by today.
    Sunday hunting opens in my county tomorrow for several weeks. If I don't see anything compelling on the cameras, I may target a doe that's been hanging around my crabapples...
    -fsh

wibowhntr and Josh Myers like this.
  14. wibowhntr

Dislikes Received:
    Went out this morning and it was great. 37° and a nice west wind. Saw one possible shooter that didn't come close enough and then had a small buck and another deer pass at 23 yards. Even though I didn't shoot anything it was great being out there. Also I did put a camera watching that big scrape which had been freshened earlier in the morning.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

fshafly2, Josh Myers and Shawn Clark like this.
  15. bucksnbears

bucksnbears Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I sat last evening. 2 fawns was all I seen.

wibowhntr likes this.
  16. Shawn Clark

Dislikes Received:
    How's the hunting on this beautiful October morning guys? Just waiting on some updates.

17. Humpythahunter

Dislikes Received:
    Cold and crisp. Slow morning unfortunately. Saw two way off in the field but that’s about it. The cell cam has been going off like crazy in the evenings so I’m more hopeful for the evening sit.

Shawn Clark and wibowhntr like this.
  18. Humpythahunter

Dislikes Received:
    Going to sit about another hour and a half and head out.

19. wibowhntr

Dislikes Received:
  20. fshafly2

fshafly2 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm seeing more daylight activity from the smaller bucks on camera, but the bigger ones are still nocturnal. I decided to get some chores done - I get serious the last week of Oct and first week of Nov...
    -fsh