Things slow in your area?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Vabowman, Oct 9, 2021.

1. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Brother here you go. Looks like Ft Lee went to isportsman. Makes the check in and out process super easy on the base. We used to have to stand in lines hundreds deep to get a hard pass on Quantico and I bet Ft Lee was similar. Now with isportsman I do all that on my phone.

I would highly suggest signing up and going for it at Ft Lee. Heck now that I know they have isportsman I may do it

https://www.theoutdoorwire.com/releases/e25fa984-6ca3-4092-bbb7-e353e7e35ed0

Vabowman likes this.
  2. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    If it's hot then find the water. Hunt low down by water. Walk the edges til you pick up fresh tracks going both ways up and down trail. Hunt it right away., same time as you scout. If you keep hunting the same stands, your just burning your self out. Sounds like the food source has shifted the last few years and the deer are on to you. Time to make a move!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

3. Vabowman

Vabowman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I rarely hunt a stand more than once in a season. This place is massive. It's puzzeld me for years. The early years were axctually better. I have been here 12 years and killed 12 deer. And that is not passing on does. we have a 15" buck rule and I usually pass 2-3 of those a year. But overall, come gun season this group kills 150 deer each season...of course that's with dogs and shotguns!

4. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    All of my cameras are dead at night as well. Our low last night was in the upper 60's and when I walked outside this morning my first thought was "yuck". I think most of them are just chilling out and not moving too much. Food is plentiful right now and the testosterone isn't high enough to overcome the discomfort of the heat. They don't need to move, so they aren't.

5. Vabowman

Dislikes Received:
    yeh I agree with this. seems like it happens every year and I just forget that it does and expect more.. after 30 years I should know better, but it's young inner me wanting it to be!

6. 0317

0317 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Feel like your are back in the military? LOL

Glad WI requires employers give their workers one day off per work week.[/QUOTE]

yup .... back on another 12 today ... sucks

7. PinkPony

PinkPony Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm not getting anything on camera, either. I had consistent bucks and now nothing. I did notice coming home last night that there were six deer in the middle of a bean field two doors down. I think they're laying low next to the plentiful food. It's unusually hot, here, too.

8. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Lows in the 40’s this weekend here around st louis area. Should encourage them to move some i would think after couple weeks of tropical climate.

9. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I'm always a glass half full guy in the deer woods.. If I didn't I would go crazy because some of the areas I hunt just plain suck. If I don't see anything on camera I just think, maybe they were walking on the other side of the camera and I just didn't see them. Hahaha

alenhard15 likes this.
  10. Vabowman

Dislikes Received:
    Crazy thing happened. I was on the phone yesterday about 6pm telling a buddy I was not getting much on camera at all and I was literally in mid sentence with that when my phone starts pinging with pics. 5 different bucks show up in front of one camera at the same time. 2 were really pretty the others were small. But they were all together, strange. But it lifted my spirits for sure!

Justin and PinkPony like this.
  11. kjstaudt86

kjstaudt86 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    It is completely slow here in E. Texas right now. We typically don't see the movement pick up until around the 20-25th of October on our cameras. It's like clockwork each and every year at that time. I took vacation on the 25th just for this reason at my lease to hunt that weekend going into that Monday. Hopefully it pans out for me.

12. Longdraw

Longdraw Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Ya it’s pretty slow here, but I’m 5 hrs away from the farm.
    Couple trail cam picks with 3 bucks, but 2 weeks apart, and one is a dandy with split G2 and a drop tine.
    Heading there Friday. Keeping my fingers crossed.
    Safe hunts Y’all.

Justin likes this.
  13. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    You have no idea how much this actually happens.

A few years ago I was having problems with cameras getting stolen. So I put on "dummy" camera on a tree with another camera way up high looking down on it. I got more photos of deer walking behind that tree than I did in front of it. Some of them actually sniffing the strap. Jerks.

14. Bigfoot49

Bigfoot49 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    It’s slow here in my NW Wisconsin property where temps have been high and bear hunting dogs have been everywhere the last month. Seems stupid to me the DNR allows bear hunting in the fall when our deer season opens, especially when spring boars are looking for cubs to kill to free up sows. Things here should pick up soon with whitetails, once things settle down and buck testosterone picks up, as it is. Got a doe earlier, but hoping the bucks start showing themselves.

15. Vabowman

Dislikes Received:
    I was getting pics of some deer during day light then bam, back to 80+ degrees and not much moving again. I have had 4 sits and seen two deer total. Cooler weather is coming tonight, maybe things will pick up,

16. PY Slaughterhouse

PY Slaughterhouse Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Found a buck in my Marijuana plants .. he was slow and easy to whack. If you live in a state where weed is legal, deer love it more than clover and corn.

Bootlegger likes this.
  17. bucksnbears

bucksnbears Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    We all (me included) need to stop blaming the heat for lack of movement.
    They need to eat/drink every day.
    They have adjusted their movement, we need to also.
    There have been 1000s of big bucks kill in high temps.

18. Vabowman

Dislikes Received:
    I can only say that most of my pics are coming in the dark. Just talking deer in general, does, small bucks and bigger bucks.